Page 99 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to the FBS

Default Re: NDSU to the FBS

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    It should be referenced as a fan base/viewership. Media market is an established term for a geographical location.
    This is correct. you said it much better than me.

Fan base is good. a good story is better. Boise is a good story, so they waaay outdrew their natural "tv market"

NDSU is the same in this regard. If NDSU is FBS- our story is waaaaaaaAAAAAAY more compelling that 98% of the G5 and 30% of P5 teams that NDSU is absolutely seen as an ASSET to just about any G5 conference in terms of what used to be considered "Tv market".

Dont believe me? Why does ESPN pimp us constantly? not because of all the eyeballs in F/M. Its because its a good story- and people are always interested in a good story. Good narrative drives viewership and holy F*ck do we have a good narrative in the football program
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Don't be surprised if the next major fundraiser is for the North Dakota State University School of Medicine
    There hasn't been a peep about it in 3 months.

My personal compiracy theory is that we are going to find out the new AAC football affiliate on July 1 (or whatever day the 2021-2022 year starts), and I bet everyone can guess who I think it is.
    In case people are wondering what my logic is here:

1) the AAC must either add a 12th team, go to a 10 game conference schedule, or drop its championship game by 2022 season
    2) the AAC is a high major BB league and will only add another high-major BB school, so the option are football only affiliate, or a high major BB program with an equally good football program
    3) the AAC wants to expand its scope and be a national conference
    4) The AAC would like a program that increases its football depth

The relevant football prgrams would include: BYU, Army, Toledo, NIU, Ohio, Air Force, Boise, Colorado State, SDSU, Ark State, App State, NDSU, JMU, Nova, SDSU, and a startup at witchita state

Of those, BSU and SDSU come with their olympic sports, which would be very expensive for AAC members. BSU lost its AD and HC after a very public failed push for AAC membership. Colorado State is a garbage football program. Of the MAC schools, Ohio and NIU aren't big markets and only Toledo would be an above average AAC football program. Not sure any of them are interested in leaving the MAC so that their football program can be AAC. Ark and App would both be solid AAC schools, but there is the olympic sports issue and the sunbelt is a respectable league. Nova would be most attractive with its BB program which I highly doubt is going to move, and the AAC is already in Philly. Army in the AAC would mess with the Army-Navy game. that leaves BYU, Air Force NDSU, JMU and the Bunnies. BYU would likely lose revenue in the AAC but would gain access to bigger games. NDSU is at worst the 4th best football prgram outside the AAC, and IMO that best that doesn't come anchored to its olympic sports.

Around the time that the Boise/SDSU to the AAC plan fell apart (late last fall), the AAC got really quiet and the position from the NDSU administration seemed to change, going from "we are happy where we are" to a combination of playing dumb and openly speculating about realignment.
    You guys have your very own SiouxVolley (RIP).

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    SiouxVolley died? Seriously?

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    You are pulling up a lot of stats that don't matter. The only stat that matters is tv market. It is the only one that ever mattered.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    the combined Fargo and Bismarck markets are respectable and have a market penetration no other AAC team can match. NDSU is the runaway #1 team in both markets, I'm not sure that any other AAC team can even be able to claim they are top 3 in theirs. Boise State and BYU would be close, Airforce has a decent nationwide following. None of the other candidates offer much in terms of market, even compared to NDSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Nobody could hold a candle to SV. He owned his own block in crazy town.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ironically I know Siouxvolley IRL.

Anyway outside of the Gand Forks Bubble there is nothing insane here. You're welcome to post any and all criticisms of my thoughts.

At the end of the day, the AAC has to add a team, and there really aren't a whole lot of good candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    SiouxVolley died? Seriously?
    Yes.
    https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/29897-siouxvolley/

I miss him if nothing else for the way it riled up folks that disagreed.

NDSU has the simple problem of geography:

The nearest all sports AAC school is Tulsa (800 miles).
    Remember UND, Big Sky, closest was Bozeman ... 800 miles.

SiouxVolley had a vision where the upper midwest/west built its FBS answer to the MAC --> UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, < two more here >. That I believe is more practical.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

SiouxVolley had a vision where the upper midwest/west built its FBS answer to the MAC --> UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, < two more here >. That I believe is more practical.

That worked out well!
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

I agree with that in principal but unfortunately only a couple of those might have enough means to actually make a move. If we could get enough of those top schools to come up with a scheduling agreement to go FBS as independents for a few years they could form a conference at some point. Hard to get 2-3 to commit to anything much less 6-8. Hell look at the loosers who opted out of this spring fiasco after it started south.