Page 74 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to the FBS

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU to the FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Pretending the G5 and the P5 are the same is the fallacy that has propped up this entire argument.
    Well if you make that claim that they are indeed separate (which I would agree with), then NDSU should be exploring a move.

Paraphrasing here but "something. something. NDSU will always compete at the second level."

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    FBS means a big deal.
    theres 80 teams that have ZERO chance at CFP each year including Minnesota, UCLA, ARIZONA, ILLINOIS ETC.
    Are they perceived higher than FCS. hmmmmm?
    NDSU's institutional profile doesn't even sniff any of those schools.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretending the G5 and the P5 are the same is the fallacy that has propped up this entire argument.
    I don’t think anyone thinks they are the same, rather the argument is that G5 has a better chance at scheduling non-con P5 games every year, as opposed to once every 4-6 years. Also, T25 ratings would get us more National exposure...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I don’t think anyone thinks they are the same, rather the argument is that G5 has a better chance at scheduling non-con P5 games every year, as opposed to once every 4-6 years. Also, T25 ratings would get us more National exposure...
    Then lets just be honest. Lakes keeps talking about P5 teams that are miles ahead of the best G5 team in terms of resources, market, etc. Lets just all understand that going FBS means last night's CC/Liberty game is the best we'll ever get.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then lets just be honest. Lakes keeps talking about P5 teams that are miles ahead of the best G5 team in terms of resources, market, etc. Lets just all understand that going FBS means last night's CC/Liberty game is the best we'll ever get.
    It's not obvious to me that that is worse than being the king of the FCS ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    FBS means a big deal.
    theres 80 teams that have ZERO chance at CFP each year including Minnesota, UCLA, ARIZONA, ILLINOIS ETC.
    Are they perceived higher than FCS. hmmmmm?
    Yes and it isn't close once you step outside of our silo.

NDSU's institutional profile doesn't even sniff any of those schools.
    NDSU is closer to P5 schools than it is to the schools in the smaller FCS conferences.

It fits almost exactly with the G5 schools. The majority of the MW conference is land grant institutions.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I do think our ceiling is higher than a G5 v G5 Bowl game. CFP sniff seems almost impossible without expansion and that is the clear downside to moving up. There may be other smaller downsides, but at this point I think the downsides to staying FCS outweigh the downsides to moving up.

This is all a moot point, I think, unless we have a conference invite, but I don’t see our competitiveness and success on the field ever being an issue in a G5 conference.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Is anyone propping up the argument that Coastal and NDSU will be beating down Clemson, Alabama, OSU, etc. in BCS games? G5/FBS is overall better than FCS and is where NDSU should play.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Eight out of nine FCS natties becomes somewhat pathetic at some point. Clearly, we're not at the right level. The other thing that is clear to me is that we're recruiting at a much higher level now than we were at the beginning of this thing, which means that even after 8 out of 9, we're still widening the gap. At some point, the FCS schools MUST do something that will make everything competitive again.

We've been here before and made the move about 10-12 years too late.
    Insert something clever here...