Page 46 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to the FBS

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU to the FBS

This conversation is so dumb. The same shit gets regurgitated over and over and over and over. The only real NEED to moving up is a conference invite. The current adminstration had shown it's inability to schedule FBS games. Whether that is on them or it really is impossible to schedule the games I don't know. They fact makes going indy a non-starter for me.

Anyone in sales knows you don't sell what you need. I need to meet my quota so buy this from me. NDSU wants to move up so invite them to your conference. You sell a solution to a problem. I see your passion point and here is how I can help you.

One argument that always comes up during realignment is that skill doesn't really matter and that media market is way more important. I think that has been true in the past, but I think that could be shifting. The Rutgers to the B1G has been such a disaster (and Maryland to a lesser extent) and other similar moves like the Big East reshuffle coupled with all of the changes in how people consume sports broadcasts will change how things are looked at in the future. A selling point for NDSU is the history and tradition, the support across the entire region, and the unprecedented success at every level. So what? Well, do you as a conference MWC or MAC want to be the best G5 conference? Our history shows that the conference we've been a part of has consistently been the best football conference at that level.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    So, first of all... I think it is worth pointing out that the financials do actually line up, that's not the major barrier I used to think it was. That website illustrates it pretty well, if other MW teams can do it, why not us (considering we are already about average in that conference)?

But it only works if we get a conference invite. That is, now, the only argument against. I don't think Independent is an option, that is where money becomes a barrier.

Now... the playoff thing... that's become a more and more interesting conversation, hasn't it? If you pluck some grass and throw it in the air, you can kinda see the winds changing at a National level on that. I would not be surprised to see the playoff expanded to 6 or 8 teams soon, and with the success of Coastal and Cinci this year... I think G5 will sniff that, for sure.
    I DO think independent is an option, and maybe a preferable one, given the number of other teams that are independent. The scheduling would be pretty easy. Two old FCS rivalries at home, a couple of P5s away, and a bunch of home-and-homes with G5s and other independents looking to fill their schedules too. This might be a great option as it doesn't upset the Summit apple cart. The only issue is getting the waiver from the NCAA, which should be doable. Our argument is that everyone in America thinks we should compete at the FBS level, but we cannot get an invite. I'd like to see the NCAA deny the waiver when ESPN and the sports writers are all saying we need our shot at FBS.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    and finding 4 donors to kick in $1 million a year for 50 years?

Jesus these 30k millionaires think money is just waiting to be spent.
    I just got a fax that I won a lottery in Nigeria. I only that to wire them $15,000 processing fee and they will wire me $300,000,000. We are good. Will wire the money to them monday.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Noted : Dont send Samsrams to negotiate.

hopefully we wont cave on revenue sharing
    Yes the mountain west has shown no overtones to NDSU or even winked at us across a crowded bar ... but NDSU has to be big daddy and walk up to the hot chick at 1am and think to himself.. wtf. im going in...

NDSU does need a new ON CAMPUS Semi Enclosed stadium. 40,000. find 4 big donors $50 mil each over 50 years

we can fill 40,000 and we have just missed out on 7-8 years of BISON FEVER and Enthusiasm that wouldve pushed us over the brink.

if we dont act NOW. the plateau and fatigue will get worse and we will lose more fans!!

Trophy Chasing is like staying in the lower class in HS sports and dominating

This has never worked for me, but NDSU should try. Sitting at the end of the bar and saying nothing to no one, hoping someone initiates conversation, also consistently never worked for me, and doesn't seem to be working for NDSU either.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I DO think independent is an option, and maybe a preferable one, given the number of other teams that are independent. The scheduling would be pretty easy. Two old FCS rivalries at home, a couple of P5s away, and a bunch of home-and-homes with G5s and other independents looking to fill their schedules too. This might be a great option as it doesn't upset the Summit apple cart. The only issue is getting the waiver from the NCAA, which should be doable. Our argument is that everyone in America thinks we should compete at the FBS level, but we cannot get an invite. I'd like to see the NCAA deny the waiver when ESPN and the sports writers are all saying we need our shot at FBS.
    2 FCS games?? So put the school behind the eight ball right away meaning one of those games don’t count towards bowl eligibility?

You can count the independents on one hand. And the NCAA has granted one waiver for and FCS to go FBS independent. Thinking they will do it again for a school that doesn’t have the financial backing to make it work will not happen. That’s like saying Alabama should apply for a waiver like Hawaii and that every team that plays in their stadium can have an extra game. Ain’t gonna happen.
    And before NDSU submits a claim to NCAA for the waiver they would have to do numerous economic studies costing millions of dollars to prove they are viable. Who is paying for that?

This has never worked for me, but NDSU should try. Sitting at the end of the bar and saying nothing to no one, hoping someone initiates conversation, also consistently never worked for me, and doesn't seem to be working for NDSU either.
    Actually, now that I think about it, NDSU hasn't even been to the bar yet. Matt Larsen has us hanging out at Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    2 FCS games?? So put the school behind the eight ball right away meaning one of those games don’t count towards bowl eligibility?

You can count the independents on one hand. And the NCAA has granted one waiver for and FCS to go FBS independent. Thinking they will do it again for a school that doesn’t have the financial backing to make it work will not happen. That’s like saying Alabama should apply for a waiver like Hawaii and that every team that plays in their stadium can have an extra game. Ain’t gonna happen.
    And before NDSU submits a claim to NCAA for the waiver they would have to do numerous economic studies costing millions of dollars to prove they are viable. Who is paying for that?
    Okay, one FCS game then. And no, you don't need numerous economic studies costing millions. Good grief. They don't need to re-invent the wheel. This has been done before. A single study and feasibility plan will do, and templates exist for that. $50-100K should do it for such a document.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post

One argument that always comes up during realignment is that skill doesn't really matter and that media market is way more important. I think that has been true in the past, but I think that could be shifting. The Rutgers to the B1G has been such a disaster (and Maryland to a lesser extent)
    Has the Rutgers move to the Big Ten been a disaster? It depends on what the goal was! For Rutgers it was in improvement in their financial situation. For the Big Ten it was continued media revenue growth. I'd imagine Rutgers has more AD revenue now (2020 aside) and I know for a fact the Big Ten does. So, do you think Rutgers was added for $$ or because anyone thought NJ was a good fit for the Big Ten?

If any Big Ten expansion didn't meet its goals, you'd have to say it was the addition of Nebraska. That was a program which was only in the conversation because of its potential as a national TV brand. It has been a disappointment to say the least. And honestly it may be the cautionary tale for a conference thinking of adding NDSU. What if you start sharing TV revenue with a sparsely populated state based on potential national brand eyeballs and they fall short?

It's all about the $$$ now. I was mocked for suggesting a year ago that UST would be in the Big East eventually. I'm willing to bet on it now. It's time for us to take our seat at the table before the world passes us by like it did the late jumpers to FCS. We're often told that you need a conference to sponsor you to jump up. Well there is a chicken and situation. Perhaps publicly or privately making it known that you're looking for a home is step one? Maybe we've already tried that privately, who knows.

Okay, one FCS game then. And no, you don't need numerous economic studies costing millions. Good grief. They don't need to re-invent the wheel. This has been done before. A single study and feasibility plan will do, and templates exist for that. $50-100K should do it for such a document.
    When has a state school moved from FCS to FBS independent before? You say it’s been done but I can’t think of one. So enlighten me please

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Shut the fuck up, idiot.
    Blow me, homoray!