Page 91 of 103 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to the FBS

Default Re: NDSU to the FBS

Quote Originally Posted by tenbobnote View Post
    You guys see this?
    Matt Brown on Mike Mcfeely's podcast on NDSU being a leading contender in the MW if/when Boise state leaves. Makes a super interesting comment on why NDSU's tv market is bigger than a lot of people give them credit for.

https://make.headliner.app/download/...m=video-detail
    Just gave it a listen... Matt Brown, at least on this, is spot on (4min 5 sec mark on your link):

- 10 years ago, during B1G realignments, TV Market Size was a huge talking point

-- B1G has the B1G Network, and adding schools in a big media market, gets them added to the cable package in those areas (NYC, DC Metro, Philly/Pittsburgh) which led to increased revenue

- MWC does not have a MWC Network -- they rely on ESPN

- When you don't have your own Cable Network, access to large markets is less important than driving raw numbers -- raw numbers are driven by "nationally known" brands -- like a Boise State

-- NDSU is "nationally known" because of it's consistent victories over P5 schools, it's sheer dominance at the FCS level, and the athletes they are sending into the NFL.

-- that national interest has more potential for driving raw numbers at ESPN than any other school the MWC might consider.

The question is, does the leadership at the MWC see it that way? Seems everyone is still concerned about "TV Market Size" when they should be looking at a teams "National Interest"

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just hope that at some point, if it hasn’t already happened, that the NDSU admin gives the MWC a jingle on the phone and asks for a discussion on the FBS topic and joining the MWC if offered.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Consulting my magic Mark Twain 8 ball...

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.”

A writer’s eloquent way of articulating opportunity cost. After a decade of advocating for FBS, I still maintain that near-sighted bickering about G5 conferences and bowl games is stupid. The long term opportunities and benefits (both football and non-football) of moving up outweigh the advantages of where we currently sit.

NDSU needs a conference invite, no shit. Please tell me why at this point NDSU shouldn’t be advocating for themselves for one?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.”

A writer’s eloquent way of articulating opportunity cost. After a decade of advocating for FBS, I still maintain that near-sighted bickering about G5 conferences and bowl games is stupid. The long term opportunities and benefits (both football and non-football) of moving up outweigh the advantages of where we currently sit.

NDSU needs a conference invite, no shit. Please tell me why at this point NDSU shouldn’t be advocating for themselves for one?
    I'm with you generally. But we need to be able to pay for it. If NDSU had the money, then I'd say it's a no-brainer. But we don't know if we have the money... and we are quite an outlier in almost every way. Tricky deal overall.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I'm with you generally. But we need to be able to pay for it. If NDSU had the money, then I'd say it's a no-brainer. But we don't know if we have the money... and we are quite an outlier in almost every way. Tricky deal overall.
    How much money is needed?

AAAhhhhhhhhhh we have covered this ground many times.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

How much money is needed?
    I'll leave that to the accountants but costs go up substantially as you move up the totem pole.
    College of Business Alumnus

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'll leave that to the accountants but costs go up substantially as you move up the totem pole.
    For sure, having two d1 schools in a small population state like nd plus every town with a stop light getting a fricken college of some kind in it is too big a financial suckfest to properly fund an fbs school athletically and academically. Imo

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    [/B]

AAAhhhhhhhhhh we have covered this ground many times.
    I’m glad that you (and apparently all others with their heads buried in the FCS-only sand) have finally moved your goalposts from “we don’t have a conference invite” to “we shouldn’t advocate for a conference invite”.

But I’m honestly curious, how did the move to FCS go? I mean, we were openly advocating for a Big Sky invite, right? I mean for YEARS. I remember my dad being damn near close to tears when he told me the Big Sky didn’t want us. That had to come from us campaigning right? The Gateway and Mid-Con were just a fallback plan?

We made the decision to move to D1 and then self-advocated for years, Or???

If you’re saying you don’t know how much more money is needed, how can you say more money is needed at all? Maybe none is needed due to economic factors in ND. How much value does extra money get us at the FBS level? Seems like we have a pretty damn good FB team now anyways?

Didn’t they say the same thing when we were D2?