Page 84 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU to the FBS

Default Re: NDSU to the FBS

As long as we are spit-ballin pie in the sky ideas how about an open air stadium with the seating platforms heated as with in-floor systems. Keep the concrete mass warm throughout the FB season. When stadium not in use cover the seats with roll down insulation blanket that helps to retain the heat in the concrete mass rather than let it escape. Then on game days retract the blankets section by section just like baseball field covers.

Further, any partial roof over the tops of the stands could be completely covered with passive solar arrays. Sell excess output back to the utility. For main mass heating use ground source heat pumps with grids buried underneath all the parking areas.

Reminder - I'm just spit-ballin here.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Not bad. Maybe you wouldnt' go quite as high with the seating. Don't need 33,800. 25,000 would be a good number, but it needs to be expandable.
    I think that 28-30k with expansion options out to 35k would be good. Compact it a bit so the field is similar to the dome in relation to the stands but with a touch more room. No blue seats. Green and yellow only.

$278 million as of 2016. Without out the roof. Mosaic Stadium in Regina Saskatchewan. Rough Riders play there.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    I see your point. Guess I'm just saying if you're going to constantly be the "Hey look at me guy" who appears to think he has all the answers....well some folks are gonna get tired of it and say...."So what about you, maybe we should look a little closer at your perfectness"

I understand everyone has their own opinions. It's just that at times the constant, over and over tirades wear a little thin and some folks are gonna call him out on it when he's trying to make himself out as the big dog with all the supposed inside info. Aren't you then trying to put yourself in a public light and somewhat susceptable to the same criticisms as others in the public light?
    This is a fair criticism. However, I haven’t seen anything that justifies: “You’re a felon, so fuck you.”

If it’s so easy to criticize what he says here, it should be easy enough to do without bringing that into it.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    As long as we are spit-ballin pie in the sky ideas how about an open air stadium with the seating platforms heated as with in-floor systems. Keep the concrete mass warm throughout the FB season. When stadium not in use cover the seats with roll down insulation blanket that helps to retain the heat in the concrete mass rather than let it escape. Then on game days retract the blankets section by section just like baseball field covers.

Further, any partial roof over the tops of the stands could be completely covered with passive solar arrays. Sell excess output back to the utility. For main mass heating use ground source heat pumps with grids buried underneath all the parking areas.

Reminder - I'm just spit-ballin here.
    Lol, yeah, no inside knowledge detected here...

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    This is a fair criticism. However, I haven’t seen anything that justifies: “You’re a felon, so fuck you.”

If it’s so easy to criticize what he says here, it should be easy enough to do without bringing that into it.
    Fair enough. Happy New Year folks.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

I see your point. Guess I'm just saying if you're going to constantly be the "Hey look at me guy" who appears to think he has all the answers....well some folks are gonna get tired of it and say...."So what about you, maybe we should look a little closer at your perfectness"

I understand everyone has their own opinions. It's just that at times the constant, over and over tirades wear a little thin and some folks are gonna call him out on it when he's trying to make himself out as the big dog with all the supposed inside info. Aren't you then trying to put yourself in a public light and somewhat susceptable to the same criticisms as others in the public light?
    Agree with most of what you say here but I think there is a difference between the posting here and the actions of those other administration based folks. The big difference being that one is a paid position and the other is just one of us bunch of knuckleheads spouting off our partially hatched notions to each other. Within the context of this fan forum we are entrusting each other with nothing more than our opinions really so I think any criminal history is really irrelevant. Unless and until someone starts soliciting actual value from others.

Also, if someone is posting here then I assume they are not currently incarcerated for anything. This implies that either they are awaiting trial and thus presumed innocent, have dealt with the charges through the legal process or else have served their time. In all of these cases it should not be an issue discussed in public here I feel.

Not that you asked me but just my $0.02.

Fair enough. Happy New Year folks.
    Cheers to you as well. Fuck 2020.

I have been curious about athletic budgets, how they compare to NDSU, so I started putting this spreadsheet together, just to see where NDSU is at compared to the Group of 5 Schools. I typically refer to the USA Today database and the CAFI database from the Knight Foundation to look at athletic budgets:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/

Both databases seem to use the same reporting information, however, the CAFI database goes into a bit more detail. Since CAFI is only updated though 2018, I used their numbers rather than USA Today (apples to apples). Here is what I have:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Notes on my spreadsheet:

Fan Support: I had seen a post over on that Realignment forum at CSNbbs, where the poster felt that the sum of ticket sales and contributions was a great indicator of “fan support” and he was comparing a number of G5 schools that he felt had really good fan support -- the numbers were comparable to NDSU. So I decided to use this metric to compare all G5 and the Major FCS conferences to see how NDSU Compares

NDSU’s “fan support” is one of the top 15 programs outside of the P5 (#11 in 2018 nd #13 in 2019)

Allocated Funding: The USAToday database shows “% Allocated” for all the schools in the database, and NDSU has always had one of the lowest “% Allocated” among the non P5 schools. The Allocated Funding is “Student Fees” and “School Funds” -- basically, these funds indicate if a school is funding their athletic program on the “backs of their students and/or their taxpayers”

NDSU’s student’s paid $130/year, which was the 7th lowest among schools that use student fees to finance their athletic budget. As far as school funds go, just eyeballing the numbers it seems NDSUs school funds are about average given the school size. However, if you look at the % Allocated from what USAToday reported for 2019, only Wichita State and Boise State have lower % Allocated for the non-P5 schools.

Debt: The CAFI Database reports debt for athletic departments. Both “total debt” and the debt service and leasing costs. I found it interesting that debt really drives the size of the athletic budgets -- I know that should be obvious, but looking at the budget of these schools and the debt they are carrying, it answers why their budgets are so high! There are a lot of “house poor” schools out there with this current “Athletics Arms Race.”

Football Spending: Also included in the CAFI database, since I am not accountant I have no idea what goes into these numbers (scholarships, coaching salaries, travel), but looking at the numbers, it appears the debt service or leasing costs for football facilities are part of “football spending. They also show Coaching Salaries which give you an idea how much that would need to increase for a move up.

Just thought I’d share, a move up will definitely cost more money than NDSU is currently spending… it’s just not as unsurmountable as some may be saying.

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I love that partially covered Regina stadium. Maybe we can get one similar and nickname it The Slit.
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
    I love that partially covered Regina stadium. Maybe we can get one similar and nickname it The Slit.
    Would it have a Cl.....never mind.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!