Thread: Post-Game Discussion: Nebraska 79 - NDSU 57

Default Post-Game Discussion: Nebraska 79 - NDSU 57

Rather than getting lost in the game thread, thought we could start a new post-game discussion. Here are my observations:

-Some really good and really bad stretches in this game. Unfortunately more bad than good.

-For the second straight game, a very slow start to the game. This is something that they obviously need to find a way to fix. Two things are contributing to that right now.

-The first is a lack of a true PG. This is a glaring weakness after the first two games (not really a surprise without Carter). The lack of someone that can really get to the rim to score or create for others makes it harder to get easy, open shots. It's also leading to more turnovers...the Bison have 33 through the first 2 games. This program, as Dave has stated many times, is built on rebounding, defense and taking care of the ball. That last one is not happening right now. Finally, they just have no one to go to late in the shot clock right now, like they did with Vinnie and Ward last year...eventually a player or two will have to step up in this area.

-The other struggle I think in scoring early on is that almost everyone is playing a new role this year. Kreuser, Eady and Griesel all have to play a bigger role on the offensive end this year and they are still figuring it out. Eady has really struggled with ball-handling and scoring through the first two games. I do believe over time though that all 3 of them have the ability to get it figured out...will just take time.

-Obviously the bright spot today was Knotek. They need his scoring on the floor right now. Think he will always be a bit of a liability on defense, but his effort there is much improved.

-Also like the effort of Cook and the way he plays. He can get to the rim and really competes on both ends of the floor (that block he had was really nice). I think the length of some of these higher level teams affects him right now and he also needs to be better from 3...but over time think he will be a very solid player this year and in the future.

-Like the assertiveness and aggressiveness that Skunberg plays with. He missed a couple shots today, but the moves were strong and what you want to see. He also was affected by the length of Nebraska...but against smaller SL teams think he converts more of those. His play through two games points to a lot of good things moving forward.

-With COVID and all the negative possibilities it creates, Coach Richman needs to get Nelson and McKinney minutes like he has through the first 2 games and we are just going to have to live with that learning process and a lot of the bad plays it creates.

-On the bright side, Nelson got better as the game progressed and had 3 baskets in the second half...I know it seems small, but that's what you want to see. No question he needs to be stronger and adjust to the speed of the game and because of it he will take some lumps early in the season. But hopefully it pays off by the time conference play comes along.

-As for McKinney...he has shown little to nothing through two games. Again it's against better competition and he needs the minutes...just hope he can learn and show little improvements...but at this point questionable how many quality minutes he can give them this year.

-Two other quick things to state. That is the second straight game where NDSU has outrebounded a higher level opponent. This team has a chance to really affect games come conference time with their ability to control the glass.

-Speaking of conference play...it sucked to watch us not stop Nebraska as the game wore on. But the bodies that were doing it we will not see in conference play (at least not 2 or 3 of them on the floor at the same time). Allen, McGowens, Blanton and Mayen were the guys that beat us...the types of guys that play in the Big Ten and not the Summit for a reason...we won't see those guys in January...just something to keep in perspective.

Default Re: Post-Game Discussion: Nebraska 79 - NDSU 57

Can't shoot 29% and turn the ball over 17 times and expect to win. Going to be some more struggles just hope they can get it sorted out come conference time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Can't shoot 29% and turn the ball over 17 times and expect to win.
    Absolutely true...again I think this is directly related to the lack of a true PG that can really handle the ball and get to the hole/create for others. Think of Vinnie and how often he would drive and finish or drive and the defense would have to break down and eventually the ball would rotate for an open look. Also, Vinnie was always good for 3 or 4 high difficulty makes each game...not getting a lot of those right now either.

But again this is non-conference play and we know that this program is built around preparing for conference play...but really hope Carter can come back and make an impact...think it will be needed for this team to reach their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Can't shoot 29% and turn the ball over 17 times and expect to win. Going to be some more struggles just hope they can get it sorted out come conference time.
    We are not gonna be playing big ten or mountain west teams come conference time first thing to remember and yes the difference is huge
    TRUST THE PROCESS

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

tried watching at the start of the 2nd half....almost wished it was a ND high school girls game instead. Better offense, more action in those

Weve had 17 assists in 2 games

Our starters need to play like starters and improve their game. Only Knotek had more than 10 points.

We shot decent in the 1st half

The box score tells the story

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Weve had 17 assists in 2 games

Our starters need to play like starters and improve their game. Only Knotek had more than 10 points.

We shot decent in the 1st half

The box score tells the story
    Ouch 17 assists. When you can't push the ball and don't push the ball there are no easy shots. When you don't have someone that can break down a defense this is also the case. I think it could be a rough year.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Does anyone know why Knotek didn't play game one and Harden Hayes didn't play game 2??

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Does anyone know why Knotek didn't play game one and Harden Hayes didn't play game 2??
    Knotek sprained an ankle and could have played in emergency. Wanted him out one more game before back. Hayes took a hard screen in a game and needed to sit out the next due to soreness in shoulder. He was back next game.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.