Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Women's Basketball Schedule

Default Re: 2020-2021 Women's Basketball Schedule

29-20 Bison at half

Poor 3 quarter. 43-41 Bison end of 3.

Showed some flashes of how good we can be when we play at our best. Fully expect us to repeat from last weekend and boat race Omaha tomorrow night. We need Marie Olson to stay out of foul trouble long enough to get into the game flow. She is going to be great if the game slows down for her.

It wasn't always pretty, but they gutted out a win.

I have a dumb question...why do the women play quarters in college ball? I can't really think of a reason men's and women's bb would have different rules.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

I found this:

The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee, which initially recommended the rule change, believes the four-quarter format will enhance the flow of the game. The change also was endorsed by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Board of Directors.

Teams will now reach the bonus and shoot two free throws on the fifth team foul in each quarter. Previously, teams reached a one-and-one bonus on the seventh team foul of each half and reached the double bonus (two shots) on the 10th team foul.

In the four-quarter format, team fouls reset to zero at the start of each quarter. However, if a team reaches the bonus in the fourth quarter, that team would remain in the bonus during any additional overtime periods.

I'm not sure I understand. Are they saying the game will flow more smoothly because there will be less time spent in Bonus and therefore the game will move along more quickly?

I actually kind of like four quarters, but that's just because of familiarity of how it was playing as a kid. It just seems silly to have a rule difference like that between the men's and women's game.

Total thread drift here but....I remember at one point the defense couldn't advance a fumble in DII football, but you could in DI. This rule had a major impact on a Bison Sioux game in Grand Forks in the late 80s or early 90s. That rule difference made even less sense. I wonder if TDs in DIII were worth 11 points?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I found this:

The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee, which initially recommended the rule change, believes the four-quarter format will enhance the flow of the game. The change also was endorsed by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Board of Directors.

Teams will now reach the bonus and shoot two free throws on the fifth team foul in each quarter. Previously, teams reached a one-and-one bonus on the seventh team foul of each half and reached the double bonus (two shots) on the 10th team foul.

In the four-quarter format, team fouls reset to zero at the start of each quarter. However, if a team reaches the bonus in the fourth quarter, that team would remain in the bonus during any additional overtime periods.

I'm not sure I understand. Are they saying the game will flow more smoothly because there will be less time spent in Bonus and therefore the game will move along more quickly?

I actually kind of like four quarters, but that's just because of familiarity of how it was playing as a kid. It just seems silly to have a rule difference like that between the men's and women's game.

Total thread drift here but....I remember at one point the defense couldn't advance a fumble in DII football, but you could in DI. This rule had a major impact on a Bison Sioux game in Grand Forks in the late 80s or early 90s. That rule difference made even less sense. I wonder if TDs in DIII were worth 11 points?
    I'm pretty sure the fumble rules have never been different between divisions. The only rule difference in aware of has been replay. I'll check with friends who were officiating then and see if they remember. The kicking team can't advance a kick and on 4th down only the person who fumbled can advance for the offense. I'm not sure if the 4th down fumble rule existed in the late 80s/really 90s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I found this:

One additional noteworthy change in WBB is where the ball is put in play after team A scores and a TO is called by the team B. Instead of putting the ball in play underneath Team B's defensive basket after the TO, it is awarded to team B along the sideline in team B's frontcourt. Women's coaches really like this rule. Men's basketball doesn't have it.
    Last edited by southcliffbison; 01-09-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fumble rules have never been different between divisions. The only rule difference in aware of has been replay. I'll check with friends who were officiating then and see if they remember. The kicking team can't advance a kick and on 4th down only the person who fumbled can advance for the offense. I'm not sure if the 4th down fumble rule existed in the late 80s/really 90s.

Well it's been a long time so perhaps I'm not remembering it correctly, but I could have sworn that was the case. I recall it as NDSU fumbled, UND picked it up an returned it for a TD but it was called back and placed 1st and 10 where UND recovered. Everyone was confused and the explanation given was "you can't advance a fumble in DII football". Like I said I might be wrong but I think I have a pretty vivid memory of it.

I found this.....which doesn't really answer our question but is related. The timing might be about right. Perhaps when this was changing DI changed first and DII a bit later? Or maybe I'm remembering this old rule and falsely attributed it to DII vs. DI?

NCAA CHANGES FOOTBALL FUMBLE RULE
    By Deseret News Jan 23, 1992, 12:00am MST
    Share this story
    Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
    Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
    All sharing options
    A rule change approved by the NCAA Football Rules Committee and will allow defensive players to advance fumbles no matter where they recover the ball. The old rule allowed a defensive player to advance a fumble only if it occurred beyond the line of scrimmage.

The NCAA said the change was made to improve the balance between the offense and the defense and to make plays involving fumbles easier to officiate. It does not apply to missed laterals and pitchouts, which are considered backward passes. It also does not apply to muffed kicks.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I found this.....which doesn't really answer our question but is related. The timing might be about right. Perhaps when this was changing DI changed first and DII a bit later? Or maybe I'm remembering this old rule and falsely attributed it to DII vs. DI?

NCAA CHANGES FOOTBALL FUMBLE RULE
    By Deseret News Jan 23, 1992, 12:00am MST
    Share this story
    Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
    Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
    All sharing options
    A rule change approved by the NCAA Football Rules Committee and will allow defensive players to advance fumbles no matter where they recover the ball. The old rule allowed a defensive player to advance a fumble only if it occurred beyond the line of scrimmage.

The NCAA said the change was made to improve the balance between the offense and the defense and to make plays involving fumbles easier to officiate. It does not apply to missed laterals and pitchouts, which are considered backward passes. It also does not apply to muffed kicks.
    That looks like it applied to all levels of NCAA.