Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP, Dr. Robert Wood

Default Re: RIP, Dr. Robert Wood

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Bison 4 Life pm'd me after that little exchange on the "Wood is an idiot" thread. He asked if he was missing some inside joke, and I let him know Vet70's identity.

I think Bison 4 Life, and others that took his Constitutional Law 400/600 courses, would agree that Dr. Wood was an absolute master at the Socratic Method. My law school professors were not nearly as adept as he was at getting you to really question your thought process and logic right in class. It was almost as if the light bulb would go off above his head as he listened to your answer, waiting for you to finish so that he could ask you his next question. He would have people twisting themselves around to the point where some would be noticeably uncomfortable in class.

He was also famous for his "Jar of Death" in his upper level classes. It was literally a big jar, with everyone in the class having their name on an individual small slip of paper. He would draw a name, and that person drawn would be on the hot-seat for the next 5-10 minutes of discussion on a topic or Supreme Court case. You had to be very well prepared for every class, otherwise he would make you look foolish in front of everyone. There was no coddling in his classes, and I thank him for that!

I am so glad I had the opportunity to talk about all of this with him in the tailgate lots, and of course thank him in person for it.
    Yes, he absolutely barbecued me a few times when I got something wrong about a case. I was pre law at that point and realized no way was I going to survive law school if anyone else was like him. I loved it for a few semesters but no way was I going to do that for a career.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rip vet...
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Grief is an unfriendly and selfish bitch. It visits when it wants to regardless of your wishes, schedules or desires. I have just entertained such a visit. Another glass of single malt to you Vet70 and congrats on your status as the reining Bisonville Masters Pool Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Grief is an unfriendly and selfish bitch. It visits when it wants to regardless of your wishes, schedules or desires. I have just entertained such a visit. Another glass of single malt to you Vet70 and congrats on your status as the reining Bisonville Masters Pool Champion.
    Here, here...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    It's also sneaky. You'll be walking along on a bright, sunny day whistling a tune and grief will slip a knife in between your ribs and twist.

But that's the price of loving.

RIP Dr. Wood. The 2018 countdown thread was probably one of the best ever on this board.

Crazy. Gave him one last Rep. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Bison 4 Life pm'd me after that little exchange on the "Wood is an idiot" thread. He asked if he was missing some inside joke, and I let him know Vet70's identity.

I think Bison 4 Life, and others that took his Constitutional Law 400/600 courses, would agree that Dr. Wood was an absolute master at the Socratic Method. My law school professors were not nearly as adept as he was at getting you to really question your thought process and logic right in class. It was almost as if the light bulb would go off above his head as he listened to your answer, waiting for you to finish so that he could ask you his next question. He would have people twisting themselves around to the point where some would be noticeably uncomfortable in class.

He was also famous for his "Jar of Death" in his upper level classes. It was literally a big jar, with everyone in the class having their name on an individual small slip of paper. He would draw a name, and that person drawn would be on the hot-seat for the next 5-10 minutes of discussion on a topic or Supreme Court case. You had to be very well prepared for every class, otherwise he would make you look foolish in front of everyone. There was no coddling in his classes, and I thank him for that!

I am so glad I had the opportunity to talk about all of this with him in the tailgate lots, and of course thank him in person for it.
    Sounds like we need more professors and teachers like him!

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Sounds like we need more professors and teachers like him!
    Sounds like law school.
    College of Business Alumnus

Holy Shit. Just noticed this thread now. Vet70 was a great poster. I have no knowledge of him as a professor but could definitely tell he was an intelligent, thoughtful person by his posts. I'll miss him.