Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP, Dr. Robert Wood

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Default Re: RIP, Dr. Robert Wood

Today - Veteran's Day - would have been Bob's (Vet's **) birthday.

Husband, Father, Educator, Soldier, Patriot, Bison, Friend.

** I actually still called him "Vet" when we were together in person, and likewise, he (mostly) still called me "Loaf".

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Today - Veteran's Day - would have been Bob's (Vet's **) birthday.

Husband, Father, Educator, Soldier, Patriot, Bison, Friend.

** I actually still called him "Vet" when we were together in person, and likewise, he (mostly) still called me "Loaf".
    Tailgating (whenever that happens again) won't be the same without him stopping by. RIP, my friend.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Clearly I did not know him as well as some here. Well enough though and given the significance of the day as Loaf pointed out I will be raising a glass of legal aged single malt promptly at 5:00 pm Central in tribute to Dr. Wood.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Really sad to hear this. I enjoyed our little talks when he would stop by our tailgate. When we finished our talk he would always say--" PL keep fighting the good fight"
    I would say--" You do the same my friend" He would smile-------We would then give each other the thumbs up and part ways.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I didn't know him well but I took his terrorism class at NDSU in the 90s. It was an excellent class..."the notion of spreading fear and alarm". Little did I know how much I would think about it later in life on 9/11, etc.

Sad to hear of this news. RIP Vet.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

In our conversations this past spring Vet told me about some of his combat experience in Vietnam. He served there as a medic. I am going to be driving to Moorhead today and to help better understand his experience I am going to be "reading" this book on my way up and back. While he did not participate in this particular encounter it should give a flavor of what he actually did see based on what he described to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Kh.../dp/0306823721

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    https://www.ndsu.edu/news/view/detail/60107/

Thanks Gully for letting me know.

I try to very hard, despite my nature, to NOT figure out who people are outside of bisonville, but there is a good change that Vet70=Dr. Robert Wood. For example, I think that the pic in Vet70's profile is a Vietnam service ribbon with two battle stars.

Also, there is this*: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...49#post1308249

I spent some time this morning reading Vet70's old posts. Now, he kept them short, possibly because longer posts would reveal his identity via writing style, but even a faint echo of the man is better than silence.

* Which made me laugh out loud
    Ha! Tony, that is a great example! Where he says ........... "Wood? Really? He's is an idiot." ................ that is typical "Vet" humor all the way!

But if you scroll down 3 more posts to RTO's post .................... "He was also my favorite, because he was an idiot." ............. well, that is the type of response that made HIM laugh his ass off! I know because we talked about it and had a hell of a laughed over it ourselves at the next home tailgate a week and a half later!

My own personal favorite response of his was on the AC/DC thread (of course!) where poster Green1 was going on and on (facetiously, I think? ) about "Loaf" possibly leaving for UNI and what a disaster that would be. And Vet's response, in his typical deadpan fashion, was ................... "I say we take our chances". Damn, I split a gut over that for a week!! (And I'm still laughing hard again right now!)

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...94#post1189794

I did not know Vet other than reading his posts on Bisonville. Many years ago, when my grandmother passed, I realized celebrating someone's life could actually be enjoyable during a time of loss. Love reading through these posts and find myself smiling at those remembering the joy he brought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Ha! Tony, that is a great example! Where he says ........... "Wood? Really? He's is an idiot." ................ that is typical "Vet" humor all the way!

But if you scroll down 3 more posts to RTO's post .................... "He was also my favorite, because he was an idiot." ............. well, that is the type of response that made HIM laugh his ass off! I know because we talked about it and had a hell of a laughed over it ourselves at the next home tailgate a week and a half later!

My own personal favorite response of his was on the AC/DC thread (of course!) where poster Green1 was going on and on (facetiously, I think? ) about "Loaf" possibly leaving for UNI and what a disaster that would be. And Vet's response, in his typical deadpan fashion, was ................... "I say we take our chances". Damn, I split a gut over that for a week!! (And I'm still laughing hard again right now!)

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...94#post1189794
    Bison 4 Life pm'd me after that little exchange on the "Wood is an idiot" thread. He asked if he was missing some inside joke, and I let him know Vet70's identity.

I think Bison 4 Life, and others that took his Constitutional Law 400/600 courses, would agree that Dr. Wood was an absolute master at the Socratic Method. My law school professors were not nearly as adept as he was at getting you to really question your thought process and logic right in class. It was almost as if the light bulb would go off above his head as he listened to your answer, waiting for you to finish so that he could ask you his next question. He would have people twisting themselves around to the point where some would be noticeably uncomfortable in class.

He was also famous for his "Jar of Death" in his upper level classes. It was literally a big jar, with everyone in the class having their name on an individual small slip of paper. He would draw a name, and that person drawn would be on the hot-seat for the next 5-10 minutes of discussion on a topic or Supreme Court case. You had to be very well prepared for every class, otherwise he would make you look foolish in front of everyone. There was no coddling in his classes, and I thank him for that!

I am so glad I had the opportunity to talk about all of this with him in the tailgate lots, and of course thank him in person for it.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

RIP. He'll be missed.

One of the few not to waste Tony's bandwidth.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes