Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Streakies

Default Streakies

How incredibly lucky are we as Bison fans. I ran across this article today: Brooking Register

It has this line, "They [NDSU] will take part in the Missouri Valley Football Conference’s spring season with an eye on winning a 17th national championship" and for a moment, I thought the "17th" was a misprint... it's just so ridiculously large.

Anyway, NDSU has these streaks:

38-game winning streak
    29-game home winning streak (NDSU had a 36-game home unbeaten streak that spanned 8 seasons starting in 1964, but there was a tie in there after about 24 games)
    10-game away winning streak
    13-game neutral site winning streak (dating back to 1985)
    12-game championship game winning streak
    12-game playoff win streak (NDSU's record is 22)
    5-game away winning streak v P5

The longest win-streak in the FCS after NDSU is Yale at 6.
    Last edited by tony; 11-06-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Default Re: Streakies

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    How incredibly lucky are we as Bison fans. I ran across this article today: Brooking Register

It has this line, "They [NDSU] will take part in the Missouri Valley Football Conference’s spring season with an eye on winning a 17th national championship" and for a moment, I thought the "17th" was a misprint... it's just so ridiculously large.

Anyway, NDSU has these streaks:

38-game winning streak
    29-game home winning streak
    10-game away winning streak
    13-game neutral site winning streak (dating back to 1985)
    8-game championship game winning streak
    12-game playoff win streak
    5-game away winning streak v P5

The longest win-streak in the FCS after NDSU is Yale at 6.
    Great summary of the streaks the Bison have amassed in recent history! Not to be nit picky, but the “8-game championship game winning streak” should actually be 12 if you are referring to national championship football games without regard to Division affiliations. Last time the Bison lost a championship game was in 1984 to Troy State, and have played in and won 12 championships since.

Quote Originally Posted by 1979 Bison View Post
    Great summary of the streaks the Bison have amassed in recent history! Not to be nit picky, but the “8-game championship game winning streak” should actually be 12 if you are referring to national championship football games without regard to Division affiliations. Last time the Bison lost a championship game was in 1984 to Troy State, and have played in and won 12 championships since.
    Beat me to it and my math was wrong anyway.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

In fact, I find that the 12 game championship winning streak to be the most amazing of all of the streaks you’ve listed. How incredible that as Bison fans we can almost be assured of witnessing a “win” every time we see our Bison in the championship game!��

In fact, I find that the 12 game championship winning streak to be the most amazing of all of the streaks you’ve listed. How incredible that as Bison fans we can almost be assured of witnessing a “win” every time we see our Bison in the championship game!��
    I fixed the original post to show 12-games for the championship game streak. And, yeah, I think that is truly the most amazing stat in the history of college football.

The second-most amazing stat is the history of college football might be NDSU's 5-game away win streak against P5 teams. FCS teams don't beat P5 teams very often (it's like a 4.6% win rate.) FCS teams have only won 41 games against P5 teams since 2000 and NDSU has 6 of those.) I'm no statistician but it seems like the of the probability of the average FCS team winning 5 in a row against P5 teams is .000000205962976 or 4,855,241 to 1.
    Last edited by tony; 11-05-2020 at 04:35 PM.

I fixed the original post to show 12-games for the championship game streak. And, yeah, I think that is truly the most amazing stat in the history of college football.

The second-most amazing stat is the history of college football might be NDSU's 5-game away win streak against P5 teams. FCS teams don't beat P5 teams very often (it's like a 4.6% win rate.) FCS teams have only won 41 games against P5 teams since 2000 and NDSU has 6 of those.) I'm no statistician but it seems like the of the probability of the average FCS team winning 5 in a row against P5 teams is .000000205962976 or 4,855,241 to 1.
    It’s been six straight and NDSU has 9 FBS wins, not 6. Lol

Kansas
    Minnesota
    Colorado State
    Kansas State
    Iowa State
    Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    It’s been six straight and NDSU has 9 FBS wins, not 6. Lol

Kansas
    Minnesota
    Colorado State
    Kansas State
    Iowa State
    Iowa
    I was only doing P5 teams so Colorado State is out. I only did P5 teams because most G5 teams are MVFC level (so not as impressive.)

I was only doing P5 teams so Colorado State is out. I only did P5 teams because most G5 teams are MVFC level.
    Oops, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    Oops, my bad!
    Colorado State seems like a P5 to me so there's that.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Arggggg, that Troy State game! I remember exactly where I was when the Bison lost. College student, dealing blackjack at the big former Elks lodge in downtown Fargo.