Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kansas State

Default Re: Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    If I remember correctly, didn’t they offer another QB from Arizona. Also I believe they offered Anders Lee as a QB. So Brock was 4th in line
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brock was at least the 3rd QB offered that year and you probably followed it closer than I did so you're probably right. I also believe he had nothing other than D2 offers. I remember it fairly well since that entire recruiting sequence happened during the disappointing 6-5 2008 season when Nick Mertens was basically the only true scholarship QB on the roster (not counting Mohler who was redshirting) so as fans we were hoping they made a big recruiting splash for someone at QB who could come in right away and compete for the starting job and Westendorp had the hype and high school pedigree to make us believe he was that guy whereas Jensen wasn't the individual performer in high school that Westendorp was and wasn't getting anywhere near the same level offers.

As good a lesson as any that recruiting accolades mean jack and the intangibles like work ethic and having a winner's mentality are just as important as physical talent.

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    If I remember correctly, didn’t they offer another QB from Arizona. Also I believe they offered Anders Lee as a QB. So Brock was 4th in line
    Don't forget about Steven Threet...LOL
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NDSU has probably had better consistently high level QB play than any other team at any level for over a decade. It's a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brock was at least the 3rd QB offered that year and you probably followed it closer than I did so you're probably right. I also believe he had nothing other than D2 offers. I remember it fairly well since that entire recruiting sequence happened during the disappointing 6-5 2008 season when Nick Mertens was basically the only true scholarship QB on the roster (not counting Mohler who was redshirting) so as fans we were hoping they made a big recruiting splash for someone at QB who could come in right away and compete for the starting job and Westendorp had the hype and high school pedigree to make us believe he was that guy whereas Jensen wasn't the individual performer in high school that Westendorp was and wasn't getting anywhere near the same level offers.

As good a lesson as any that recruiting accolades mean jack and the intangibles like work ethic and having a winner's mentality are just as important as physical talent.
    You nailed it. Brock's dad told me Bubba was on the way to ask him to come to Duluth. Coach Bohl called and offered and they immediately said yes. They then called Bubba on his cell, and he literally turned his car around.

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am sure Bubba is used to that.

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    You nailed it. Brock's dad told me Bubba was on the way to ask him to come to Duluth. Coach Bohl called and offered and they immediately said yes. They then called Bubba on his cell, and he literally turned his car around.
    Great story! I’m still calling bullshit.

Bisonville says Brock committed on 1-29-09. Bubba left Duluth in December of 2007.
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Answer Guy View Post
    Great story! I’m still calling bullshit.

Bisonville says Brock committed on 1-29-09. Bubba left Duluth in December of 2007.
    Coulda been that he was driving a slow moving helmet car.