Page 102 of 339 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3384

Thread: The NEW & IMPROVED Trey Lance Thread

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: The NEW & IMPROVED Trey Lance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Who cares about confidence. It’s about execution. If you’re not prepared you have no chance.
    I'm wearing a condom right now. Prepared.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I'm wearing a condom right now. Prepared.
    So, as I was saying... confidence...
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A key element to success at an elite level is muscle memory. That includes seeing things. The more blitzes a QB sees the more he can respond without thinking when the next one happens. The more he has to progress through reads the better he can do it. Think about the first time you learned to drive a car. You had to think about everything. Watching traffic. Looking for signs. Adjusting mirrors. The more you did it the more those things became second nature. That's the risk someone runs when they only play 1 season of college football and only two when you include redshirt freshman year of practice. Practice isn't as good as game action, but it's still valuable in this process.

That's the risk Trey is running by starting his NFL career now. That doesn't mean he can't be successful. It's just going to be harder because he doesn't have the number of snaps someone who played 3 full seasons (including redshirt and backup seasons). I don't blame him at all for making the move now though. I wish him the best of luck!

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/5/...uy-in-the-room

Great interview about Trey

I love how they mentioned NDSU not wearing sleeves/leggings in outside practice. thats awesome mental toughness
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Lance in Vegas partying some San fran fans whining.

https://twitter.com/JavierVeg_/statu...453011456?s=20

Hope he wasn't with John Crockett & Josh Gatlin... haha (their insta's with the ladies & champagne have been gold!!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    A key element to success at an elite level is muscle memory. That includes seeing things. The more blitzes a QB sees the more he can respond without thinking when the next one happens. The more he has to progress through reads the better he can do it. Think about the first time you learned to drive a car. You had to think about everything. Watching traffic. Looking for signs. Adjusting mirrors. The more you did it the more those things became second nature. That's the risk someone runs when they only play 1 season of college football and only two when you include redshirt freshman year of practice. Practice isn't as good as game action, but it's still valuable in this process.

That's the risk Trey is running by starting his NFL career now. That doesn't mean he can't be successful. It's just going to be harder because he doesn't have the number of snaps someone who played 3 full seasons (including redshirt and backup seasons). I don't blame him at all for making the move now though. I wish him the best of luck!
    If I were a pedantic POS, I would point out that what you are describing is not muscle memory. But I'm not a pedantic POS, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    If I were a pedantic POS, I would point out that what you are describing is not muscle memory. But I'm not a pedantic POS, so I won't.

It actually is. Because you use the "knowing" part of your brain you don't have to think about how to react to things. You just do it. The concept of becoming an expert at something when you've done it 10k times has merit. I've listened to a couple sports psychologists and they explained how someone can go from a great athlete to an elite athlete. Practice practice and experience builds that knowing part of the brain and muscle memory plays a huge role.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It actually is. Because you use the "knowing" part of your brain you don't have to think about how to react to things. You just do it. The concept of becoming an expert at something when you've done it 10k times has merit. I've listened to a couple sports psychologists and they explained how someone can go from a great athlete to an elite athlete. Practice practice and experience builds that knowing part of the brain and muscle memory plays a huge role.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Sorry, but the proper term for what you are describing is procedural memory, not muscle memory. Muscle memory is a subclass of procedural memory that deals exclusively with motor control. Swinging a golf club* or throwing a baseball** is muscle memory. The repetition of reading defenses as a QB or all the different elements of driving a car require a level of cognitive analysis(decision making) that is more than just motor control, so they would fall under the category of procedural memory. Because the term 'muscle memory' is alliterative and sounds good, that has led it to be overused beyond its actual meaning. Everything you've said would be 100% correct if you only replaced the word 'muscle' with 'procedural'.

Or to look deeper into the example of driving: Running through the gear pattern(plus clutch) in a manual transmission car would be muscle memory. Most of backing out of parking space is muscle memory; parallel parking as well if you do it enough. For a truck driver, backing a trailer up is mostly muscle memory. But automatically reacting to traffic while driving (breaking/swerving/accelerating/etc.) due to experience is procedural memory.

And that's why I joked about being pedantic.

*after you've set up your shot
    **after you've decided which pitch to throw

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Sorry, but the proper term for what you are describing is procedural memory, not muscle memory. Muscle memory is a subclass of procedural memory that deals exclusively with motor control. Swinging a golf club* or throwing a baseball** is muscle memory. The repetition of reading defenses as a QB or all the different elements of driving a car require a level of cognitive analysis(decision making) that is more than just motor control, so they would fall under the category of procedural memory. Because the term 'muscle memory' is alliterative and sounds good, that has led it to be overused beyond its actual meaning. Everything you've said would be 100% correct if you only replaced the word 'muscle' with 'procedural'.

Or to look deeper into the example of driving: Running through the gear pattern(plus clutch) in a manual transmission car would be muscle memory. Most of backing out of parking space is muscle memory; parallel parking as well if you do it enough. For a truck driver, backing a trailer up is mostly muscle memory. But automatically reacting to traffic while driving (breaking/swerving/accelerating/etc.) due to experience is procedural memory.

And that's why I joked about being pedantic.

*after you've set up your shot
    **after you've decided which pitch to throw
    The example one of the psychologist gave us to explain thinking and knowing as it relates to actions. If you use the thinking part of your brain it's very linear and you can only handle one act at a time. He throw a tennis ball at someone to demonstrate. The person put their hand up to catch the ball before it hit their head. He said if you used the thinking part of your brain you would see the ball and say "there's a ball." Then you would see the ball coming closer to you. Then you would realize if you didn't do something the ball would hit you. You would think you need to do something to prevent the ball from hitting you in the head. You would think your hand could probably help you stop the ball. You would then think you need to raise your hand to place it between your head and the ball. You get the idea. By the time you get to this point the ball has obviously hit you. But your knowing part of the brain kicks in and does all that without thinking about it.

He then explained how training yourself using the knowing part of your brain will help you become an elite athlete. One of the ways you do that is by repeating an action many times so your brain can use the knowing part of your brain when faced with the same situation in a competition. He was speaking to swimmer so he used a swimming example. Swimmers practice an insane number of hours and do what seems to be repetitive, unnecessary laps. Some of it is to build up endurance, but it's also to train the knowing part of your brain for when you need to execute certain stroke techniques in the pool. If you are in a situation where you are slightly behind the lead swimmer and you have to think about what you need to do to catch and beat them you just lost because you used the thinking part of your brain rather than the knowing part of your brain. The difference between excellent and elite athletes is to be able to kick in at that point and overtake the other swimmer without thinking about it. That's where the muscle memory comes in. He very specifically and directly used those words at that point of the discussion.

A year after I heard him speak I remember a Super Bowl game where a deep official was running hard to keep a cushion in front of the intended receiver. The receiver made an amazing sideline catch where he barely got one toe in. The official was running away from the receiver with his back to the player but turned to still officiate the play. He ruled a catch and replay confirmed he was correct. He was at a clinic I attended that Spring so I asked him if he clearly saw it or had a lucky guess based on how he was positioned at the time. He said he saw it clearly despite the way his body was turned at the time because he has seen 1000 catches like that over his career and he can see it and process it without thinking about where to focus. As soon as he said that I remember the psychologists explanation of the thinking part of the brain and knowing part of the brain and it made sense. The more I officiate the more I realize I do things during a game I don't even think about. It becomes very apparent when I try to work with new officials and help them become comfortable.

Feel free to disagree with the sports psychologist who has worked with several elite Olympic and professional athletes. You aren't disagreeing with me. The swim coach we had at the time had a daughter go on to be an Olympic diver at the 2016 Olympics which is why he was connected to this psychologist.

The other thing he said to the parents was very wise. In every competition there are multiple roles: players, coaches, officials, parents. Each person assumes 1 and only role and can't possibly do 2 or more. Players play, coaches coach, officials officiate, and parents parent. If you try to do more than 1 role you will fail at both. Parents shouldn't try to coach their kid on the field because you don't know if you are contradicting what the coach has taught. You shouldn't officiate. Officials shouldn't try to coach or parent the players. Very wise advice.

This all doesn't mean Lance can't be very successful with his limited experience or level of competition. I do know he would benefit from even more experience so he can be better prepared for more situations that may arise. I also feel he's doing the right thing by moving to the NFL now because you strike while the iron is hot.

Default The NEW & IMPROVED Trey Lance Thread

The example one of the psychologist gave us to explain thinking and knowing as it relates to actions. If you use the thinking part of your brain it's very linear and you can only handle one act at a time. He throw a tennis ball at someone to demonstrate. The person put their hand up to catch the ball before it hit their head. He said if you used the thinking part of your brain you would see the ball and say "there's a ball." Then you would see the ball coming closer to you. Then you would realize if you didn't do something the ball would hit you. You would think you need to do something to prevent the ball from hitting you in the head. You would think your hand could probably help you stop the ball. You would then think you need to raise your hand to place it between your head and the ball. You get the idea. By the time you get to this point the ball has obviously hit you. But your knowing part of the brain kicks in and does all that without thinking about it.

He then explained how training yourself using the knowing part of your brain will help you become an elite athlete. One of the ways you do that is by repeating an action many times so your brain can use the knowing part of your brain when faced with the same situation in a competition. He was speaking to swimmer so he used a swimming example. Swimmers practice an insane number of hours and do what seems to be repetitive, unnecessary laps. Some of it is to build up endurance, but it's also to train the knowing part of your brain for when you need to execute certain stroke techniques in the pool. If you are in a situation where you are slightly behind the lead swimmer and you have to think about what you need to do to catch and beat them you just lost because you used the thinking part of your brain rather than the knowing part of your brain. The difference between excellent and elite athletes is to be able to kick in at that point and overtake the other swimmer without thinking about it. That's where the muscle memory comes in. He very specifically and directly used those words at that point of the discussion.

A year after I heard him speak I remember a Super Bowl game where a deep official was running hard to keep a cushion in front of the intended receiver. The receiver made an amazing sideline catch where he barely got one toe in. The official was running away from the receiver with his back to the player but turned to still officiate the play. He ruled a catch and replay confirmed he was correct. He was at a clinic I attended that Spring so I asked him if he clearly saw it or had a lucky guess based on how he was positioned at the time. He said he saw it clearly despite the way his body was turned at the time because he has seen 1000 catches like that over his career and he can see it and process it without thinking about where to focus. As soon as he said that I remember the psychologists explanation of the thinking part of the brain and knowing part of the brain and it made sense. The more I officiate the more I realize I do things during a game I don't even think about. It becomes very apparent when I try to work with new officials and help them become comfortable.

Feel free to disagree with the sports psychologist who has worked with several elite Olympic and professional athletes. You aren't disagreeing with me. The swim coach we had at the time had a daughter go on to be an Olympic diver at the 2016 Olympics which is why he was connected to this psychologist.

The other thing he said to the parents was very wise. In every competition there are multiple roles: players, coaches, officials, parents. Each person assumes 1 and only role and can't possibly do 2 or more. Players play, coaches coach, officials officiate, and parents parent. If you try to do more than 1 role you will fail at both. Parents shouldn't try to coach their kid on the field because you don't know if you are contradicting what the coach has taught. You shouldn't officiate. Officials shouldn't try to coach or parent the players. Very wise advice.

This all doesn't mean Lance can't be very successful with his limited experience or level of competition. I do know he would benefit from even more experience so he can be better prepared for more situations that may arise. I also feel he's doing the right thing by moving to the NFL now because you strike while the iron is hot.
    Reader’s Digest version of above post: Experience/Instinct/Reaction resulting from multiple exposures to stimuli.

Those that are elite, will thrive. Those that aren’t will post a lot on Bisonville and use a lot of commas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.