Page 290 of 339 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 3384

Thread: The NEW & IMPROVED Trey Lance Thread

Default Re: The NEW & IMPROVED Trey Lance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that Vikes are likely to move on from Cousins after this year because they didn’t pick up an optional extra year or extension (my memory is not helping me here and I’m too lazy to look it up)…

So if you know you’re going to be moving on from Cousins after this year (and Cousins knows this, too), what’s your best play to get a new QB in here?
    They changed some money to a signing bonus and he only has 1 year left so they could cut him free after next year but they'll still take $28 million hit if he's not on the roster next year. But that probably is more easy to navigate. They still have the option of keeping him around if they want, but they're not hitching their wagon to him through 2026 or whatever Kirk probably asked for.

So mid range is all up to what they're able to do to get a younger QB in the fold over the next year or 2.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I'd say Cousins still has good 4-5 years left on him so I call him a mid-range term plan, granted as pointed out he likes to get paid but after last year would think he would like to stay, Zimmer was still around I could see he wouldn't want to stick around but feel like he had good chemistry between him and KOC unless I missed something. I'd rather they take a flyer on a guy in round 3 or 4 this year to see if he hits, if not then try at a 1st/2nd rounder in another couple of years. Obviously, having JJ coming up for a new contract way sooner rather than later and who will be throwing to him will be a big item for him I'm sure. So unproven QB commodity, I'd bet there are a few in the next 2-3 years that I'd "equate" to what Lance is right now. Is there anything right NOW no, but Vikings don't NEED unproven RIGHT NOW on their team IMO. Not sure Cousins would give a rip if Lance was on the roster BEHIND him but isn't that part of the equation making guys elevate themselves to stay at the top if Lance is going to be this "all-star" QB higher than say top 8 he's going to have to beat Cousins for his job. Just don't see that happening in the next 2-3 years from the limited exposure we've seen him in the NFL.

Plus the fact of trading him will be a huge cap hit that the Vikings would have to navigate but seems they find a way without hamstringing themselves too much only a bit, but believe it would have a ripple effect for another 2-3 years when they truly would be in "rebuild" mode without Cousins, and is JJ going to stay happy if Lance can't make the throws to him (should be able to but can he execute them?).
    It is highly likely Cousins is out of Minnesota after the 2023-2024 season. The Vikings didn't give him an extension and from my understanding Kirk wasn't going to do another 1 year restructure that just pushed the can down the road. If he is going to have to go into free-agency he wants to do it next offseason to try to get one more multi-year deal before the end of his career. The Vikings need to move on from Kirk in order to fill other holes on their roster and to try to re-sign JJ. Kirk needs to move on from the Vikings if he wants to maximize his FA value. The only way he stays after this year is if he is willing to take a very discounted contract. Because of all of this the Vikings need to find a young QB either this offseason or next. There probably isn't a better FA option available now for the Vikings than Trey Lance. Not sure who would become available in FA next offseason but the top guys are already locked up. The only other option is the draft. I don't think them trading for Trey is any worse than drafting Hendon Hooker/Will Levis in the first round of this year's draft. Trying to find a young qb in the NFL is a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    They changed some money to a signing bonus and he only has 1 year left so they could cut him free after next year but they'll still take $28 million hit if he's not on the roster next year. But that probably is more easy to navigate. They still have the option of keeping him around if they want, but they're not hitching their wagon to him through 2026 or whatever Kirk probably asked for.

So mid range is all up to what they're able to do to get a younger QB in the fold over the next year or 2.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    And I guess I think Trey would be as good or better than going to the draft for that next guy but… AHEM… *removes green and gold glasses* …that’s just my unbiased opinion…

The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    It is highly likely Cousins is out of Minnesota after the 2023-2024 season. The Vikings didn't give him an extension and from my understanding Kirk wasn't going to do another 1 year restructure that just pushed the can down the road. If he is going to have to go into free-agency he wants to do it next offseason to try to get one more multi-year deal before the end of his career. The Vikings need to move on from Kirk in order to fill other holes on their roster and to try to re-sign JJ. Kirk needs to move on from the Vikings if he wants to maximize his FA value. The only way he stays after this year is if he is willing to take a very discounted contract. Because of all of this the Vikings need to find a young QB either this offseason or next. There probably isn't a better FA option available now for the Vikings than Trey Lance. Not sure who would become available in FA next offseason but the top guys are already locked up. The only other option is the draft. I don't think them trading for Trey is any worse than drafting Hendon Hooker/Will Levis in the first round of this year's draft. Trying to find a young qb in the NFL is a crapshoot.
    Wouldn't consider Kirk out until he actually hits the FA market. Not saying he's a lock stick around either that's definitely a possibility based on how they handled his contract but it could also be a prove it to us year and then we'll give you an extension you want type of deal too, but there is some upside to signing him to another contract, just how many years and cap hit that would entail that would have to be is probably the sticking point. But if they don't get a QB this year that shows any promise, not sure that you can hang on to JJ either, why would he want to struggle with QB issues through the prime years of his career? This guy has a chance to put himself in the same category as Rice, Moss, Carter, TO, Calvin Johnson, etc.

Just don't trust this fin franchise to draft and develop anyone decent at QB, Fran Tarkenton/Tommy Kramer/Wade Wilson?/Daunte Culpepper (maybe until he blew out his knee?) are the top ones that come to mind out of who knows how many they've drafted I mean I'm kind of at the point of stretching here... LOL

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Brief SI interview with Trey about trade rumors.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/24/tr...e-rumors-swirl
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

RonMexico is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yeah...Trey needs to get out of San Fran. It's becoming pretty obvious that no one wants him there. He couldn't get any of the receivers to come work out with him in the off season. He had to put out instagram messages asking for any area college or high school kids to come catch balls for him. I haven't heard a single player on the 49ers say anything about Trey this off season. All they talk about is how great Purdy is and how much they love Sam Darnold. He doesn't have a chance there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Yeah...Trey needs to get out of San Fran. It's becoming pretty obvious that no one wants him there. He couldn't get any of the receivers to come work out with him in the off season. He had to put out instagram messages asking for any area college or high school kids to come catch balls for him. I haven't heard a single player on the 49ers say anything about Trey this off season. All they talk about is how great Purdy is and how much they love Sam Darnold. He doesn't have a chance there anymore.
    Lol if San Fran likes Darnold more than Trey, then I dont think a change of scenery is going to help him.

But how do you know he couldn't get anyone to work out with him? Seems pretty implausible that an NFL qb couldn't find guys to work out with.
    College of Business Alumnus

RonMexico is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Lol if San Fran likes Darnold more than Trey, then I dont think a change of scenery is going to help him.

But how do you know he couldn't get anyone to work out with him? Seems pretty implausible that an NFL qb couldn't find guys to work out with.
    There were a couple of San Fran beat reporters mentioning it, that Trey was having to find his own guys to catch for him at workouts because he couldn't get the 9ers receivers to. Why is he having to go to Mahomes QB coach to work on his mechanics? Why aren't the 49ers getting him that help? Just from the outside it sure doesn't look like he is getting much support from the 9ers.

There were a couple of San Fran beat reporters mentioning it, that Trey was having to find his own guys to catch for him at workouts because he couldn't get the 9ers receivers to. Why is he having to go to Mahomes QB coach to work on his mechanics? Why aren't the 49ers getting him that help? Just from the outside it sure doesn't look like he is getting much support from the 9ers.
    Any outside coaches are usually the responsibility of the player unless its in the contract.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm sure you've heard this quote.

If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole.

You claim the locker room doesn't like him. IF that's true (no evidence has been provided) then why would it be better on another team? A different room of 52 strangers?

No shit they like Purdy. He took them to a conference championship. That is not evidence of any feeling toward Lance.