Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeb Noland ERA Begins..10/3

Default Re: Zeb Noland ERA Begins..10/3

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    https://stats.gobison.com/custompages/fb/histseas.htm

I know what you’re talking about. Compare his one full season to any other season? 6th most passes completed in a season, third most yards in a season, second most passing touchdowns in a season. His QB rating during all of this was like 180. hey, I’d love nothing more than to be wrong. If he didn’t pass enough it’s because he was moving the ball too effectively when he was.
    I suppose the theory would be that because NDSU had:

1. An effective running game
    2. The definition of a dual-threat quarterback

The assumption i suppose would be that defenses were geared towards stopping those things, if you are using a spy, that's one less guy in coverage and having a mobile guy means you can let plays develop longer to get receivers open or for coverage to break down.

I didn't watch enough to know if that is remotely true, but I think that would basically be required in order to assume the new QB is a better "pure passer" than the previous one...who is all but guaranteed to go in the first round.

I think it is silly to assume he is a better passer. He might be. I guess we will see. I dont like assuming guys will be great, being a Notre Dame fan I've had the privilege of suffering through several guys both mobile and statues of not living up to the hype. NDSU has been fortunate in getting the most out of their QB's for the last decade. Hopefully it continues, just seems premature to ordain guys before they've taken the reins.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post

The assumption i suppose would be that defenses were geared towards stopping those things, if you are using a spy, that's one less guy in coverage and having a mobile guy means you can let plays develop longer to get receivers open or for coverage to break down.

I didn't watch enough to know if that is remotely true, but I think that would basically be required in order to assume the new QB is a better "pure passer" than the previous one...who is all but guaranteed to go in the first round.

I think it is silly to assume he is a better passer. He might be. I guess we will see. I dont like assuming guys will be great, being a Notre Dame fan I've had the privilege of suffering through several guys both mobile and statues of not living up to the hype. NDSU has been fortunate in getting the most out of their QB's for the last decade. Hopefully it continues, just seems premature to ordain guys before they've taken the reins.
    I agree with all of this, especially the parts about Notre Dame QBs sucking...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post

Sure, definitely aided by a good offense and his own talent for running. My point was that we still passed the ball a lot last year, and Trey was VERY good at it.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I doubt that Zeb will be a statue. I know that he won't be Trey but I doubt that Randy and Tyler are going to limit him exclusively to the pocket. For all ANY of us know, he may have never been asked to be mobile before.

On the flip side, I don't even know for sure that Zeb will be the starter against YSU. We have some pretty good talent in the QB room. It will increase dramatically in the fall.
    Insert something clever here...

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Randy Hedberg on the Insiders says that Zeb Noland can run better than most people expect. Says QB run game will continue, but not to the extent of Lance.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Randy Hedberg on the Insiders says that Zeb Noland can run better than most people expect. Says QB run game will continue, but not to the extent of Lance.
    That's good but still concerning. Lance won entire games with his legs. He also forced teams to scheme to compensate which opened everything else up. Easton was a lot like that too. Hell, so was Brock to a lesser extent.

Let's hope he can sling it.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    That's good but still concerning. Lance won entire games with his legs. He also forced teams to scheme to compensate which opened everything else up. Easton was a lot like that too. Hell, so was Brock to a lesser extent.

Let's hope he can sling it.
    I could see Zeb being a Brock Jensen caliber runner. Taking away the lost yardage from sacks Brock had about 500 yards rushing each of his junior and senior seasons or about 35 a game. For comparison Wentz/Stick were in the 800 range from 2014-2018 and then Lance put up 1100 last year.

Zeb and Randy Hedberg have said that he has some wheels. you dont need to be Lance to be lethal on the ground. You dont have to be Stikc to be lethal on the ground, in fact you dont even have to be as fast a s brock to be a HUGE headache for opposing defenses. I would trust Randy in his evaluation
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

The comment that stuck out most to me in today's interview was Hedberg saying that Zeb is a gunslinger and gets the ball out quickly. He said he makes very fast decisions and zips the ball where it needs to be early in the play(a bit of paraphrasing on that last sentence).

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    I like the idea of running less. I always figured we were one play away from an injury with Lance running all the time. I think we can just as lethal or even better with a balanced approach. We need a QB that can use his legs, but not on every play.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA