Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Trey should stay

Default Re: Trey should stay

One of the advantages of staying (if he can improve his stock) is that the higher pick you are, the longer your leash. Very few teams will give up on a first round draft pick after a year. (For God's sake look at Treadwell). Now part of that is you were really good to start with but part of that is the equity the team has in you.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

When in doubt, take the money. Trey should go and I wouldn’t blame him at all.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Waiting a year will basically add two seasons of college playing experience. Right now is it 17 games. By the end of the 2021 season it could be 45. Not saying he should wait, that is all his own decision to make.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Ppl are focusing way too much on the game yesterday. Scouts care more about his talent and potential. He can always sit a year or 2 in the NFL
    TL has an extremely thin body of work to rate as a high draft pick and big $ immediately from an NFL team. Yesterday’s game counts a lot because it was TL’s big showcase and it was all about him. He needed to dominate with his arm and he did not do that very effectively. He certainly didn’t do much to improve his draft stock as an NFL quarterback. I love how Lance plays but let’s be honest, he was QB on the best team in FCS history and he had a lot of help building those stats. He has a lot to prove in the combine and other workouts before the NFL goes bonkers over him.

And then there is now the fact that Trey brings some unwanted baggage with his outspoken social activism. Like it ir not, the NFL would rather avoid controversy. With all of their posturing to support BLM, they are not looking to alienate any more fans.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    TL has an extremely thin body of work to rate as a high draft pick and big $ immediately from an NFL team. Yesterday’s game counts a lot because it was TL’s big showcase and it was all about him. He needed to dominate with his arm and he did not do that very effectively. He certainly didn’t do much to improve his draft stock as an NFL quarterback. I love how Lance plays but let’s be honest, he was QB on the best team in FCS history and he had a lot of help building those stats. He has a lot to prove in the combine and other workouts before the NFL goes bonkers over him.

And then there is now the fact that Trey brings some unwanted baggage with his outspoken social activism. Like it ir not, the NFL would rather avoid controversy. With all of their posturing to support BLM, they are not looking to alienate any more fans.
    Add yourself to the group that does not get it.

Top 15 pick in 2021 draft with no other games played in college. Will not be back as it takes too long to make that kind of money up.

Yesterday's game meant next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Add yourself to the group that does not get it.

Top 15 pick in 2021 draft with no other games played in college. Will not be back as it takes too long to make that kind of money up.

Yesterday's game meant next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Agreed TD. It's up to TL does he want to try be the 1 top qb pick tho. That wont happen this year, but looking at next year's QBs it could. Does he trade top 15 money for possible top 3 money...1st qb drafted. I know what I would do, but it is an interesting added dynamic.

Again yesterday's game means very little in all of this.

The reason I did a 180 on this is NFL teams are rarely patient when they draft a QB really, really high. I think that is a HUGE danger for Trey that could shorten his career as I suspect he would need 2-3 years of time to mature. His is simply not ready to play early and I think there is a real risk it would shorten his career. Carson was a completely different situation as a 5th year senior with both more games and wisdom age brings under his belt.

I thought it was NUTS for anyone to advise him staying, but I am now firmly on that bandwagon.
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 10-05-2020 at 01:13 PM.

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Trey should stay

Two options...
    Stay and take out insurance policy for 1st round money for injury and try to be #1 overall in 22.
    OR
    Go now and take what you can get.

That game does not hurt him as much as people want to think
    He’s EASILY STILL a top 10 pick - there were over 20 teams there, look at the other QBs that have been drafted in the first round the last couple years, like Jordan Love, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Haskins, etc - without trying the talk with green and yellow colored lenses, I’d take Trey after a game like yesterday’s over all those guys in a heartbeat.
    And the game was stuff that’s correctable pretty quickly like over throwing a couple guys; where Trey is going solidify his value and hype is when it comes to demonstrating the mental aspect/reading defenses/leadership/intelligence/humbleness/ all on top of his ceiling skill set.
    The game obviously didn’t go as expected, and more than just on him, but I don’t believe it hurt him anywhere near as much as folks want to think the game itself did.
    “Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't” - Jerry Rice

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    The reason I did a 180 on this is NFL teams are rarely patient when they draft a QB really, really high. I think that is a HUGE danger for Trey that could shorten his career as I suspect he would need 2-3 years of time to mature. His is simply not ready to play early and I think there is a real risk it would shorten his career. Carson was a completely different situation as a 5th year senior with both more games and wisdom age brings under his belt.

I thought it was NUTS for anyone to advise him staying, but I am not firmly on that bandwagon.
    If you are going to be anywhere in the first round you take the money, but understand your odds of success go down big time without a year to learn

But if you think 2nd round... might be worth playing

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com