Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Intruder on Bisonville

Default Re: An Intruder on Bisonville

It seems like every couple of months, spammers come up with a new angle of attack.

I've changed the "Users Awaiting Moderation" group so they should only be able to send 1 private message (sometimes people PM me if I forget to enable their account so I want to leave the option open for now.)

I fully expect that nothing I do is going to hold up for long since they should be able to hide their IP addresses already and soon they'll be able to use AI to generate user names and posts that seem authentic. Spammers have developed a lot of new techniques for Facebook and Twitter, but bulletin boards are a little harder and much less rewarding. But AI is cheap so the benefit can be very small and still be worthwhile.

I mean, they probably already have database of all the vbulletin sites in the world and they can run their programs to go after as many of them as they want to probe to see what works.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I called dibs first!! 2020 has been a crazy year. Might as well go out with a bang.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Is there a way to delete the message without opening it?
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Is there a way to delete the message without opening it?
    Yes, but don't worry about opening the message. Just don't click the link in the message. To delete, check the selection box for the message on the far left of the inbox page. Then scroll to the bottom and click the grey button that will say: 'Selected Messages (1)'. Clicking that will open a popup menu that will allow to to delete the message.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Yes, but don't worry about opening the message. Just don't click the link in the message. To delete, check the selection box for the message on the far left of the inbox page. Then scroll to the bottom and click the grey button that will say: 'Selected Messages (1)'. Clicking that will open a popup menu that will allow to to delete the message.
    Ah, thanks. I'm super careful/paranoid about this stuff.
    Insert something clever here...