Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Enrollment

Default Re: 2020 Enrollment

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    we all agree. online is bullshit

2021 will be all in class. time to fill em up again.
    Hopefully we see a spike but the administration has turned me into a pessimist

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

It became very evident over the last year that the on-line format is deeply flawed. I heard of several instances where significant numbers of students simply fell through the cracks, with things like logging in from bed, etc.

However, the funding model adopted by the ND SBOHE makes no distinction between on-line or in-person in terms of head count, so what is NDSU to do? If they don’t pursue on-line students (like UND does), then they will get hit with funding penalties. Such penalties then lead to more cuts in programs, faculty, etc.

The real issue is a combination of declining demographics and a higher ed system much too large for it’s population. The only things you can really fault the admin for are (i) not seeing it coming and (ii) agreeing to such a model in the first place. My cynical side thinks the SBOHE knew exactly what they were doing to NDSU, but who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    It became very evident over the last year that the on-line format is deeply flawed. I heard of several instances where significant numbers of students simply fell through the cracks, with things like logging in from bed, etc.

However, the funding model adopted by the ND SBOHE makes no distinction between on-line or in-person in terms of head count, so what is NDSU to do? If they don’t pursue on-line students (like UND does), then they will get hit with funding penalties. Such penalties then lead to more cuts in programs, faculty, etc.

The real issue is a combination of declining demographics and a higher ed system much too large for it’s population. The only things you can really fault the admin for are (i) not seeing it coming and (ii) agreeing to such a model in the first place. My cynical side thinks the SBOHE knew exactly what they were doing to NDSU, but who really knows.
    It'd REALLY benefit NDSU if it was allowed to swallow up NDSCS and have those programs up here. with the Agricultural programs, diesel mechanics, electricians, and the trades would be perfect marriage.
    (and if und lawmakers bitch, allow them to swallow Mayville St)
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

It'd REALLY benefit NDSU if it was allowed to swallow up NDSCS and have those programs up here. with the Agricultural programs, diesel mechanics, electricians, and the trades would be perfect marriage.
    Trying to turn NDSU into a tech school or?
    College of Business Alumnus

Kids logging in from bed isn’t really the issue I don’t think. Half of the people who enroll in person never finish either.

on-line learning can be great but it’s very hard to make it great on short notice when you’re faced with porting all off your offerings all at once. To do it right I think you need to reengineer the format and course work from the ground up. You can’t have someone talking at you for 40 minutes straight, 5 minute video chunks are better broken up with short reading or a question or two. Very few quizzes or assignments for grades instead the questions at the end of a module should be focused on mastering the concepts. The computer can just keep throwing questions at you providing feedback and pointing you to resources until you really understand it. It’s not for everyone or everything of course but neither is classroom learning. There’s a ton of potential in the online format but it takes time to build it right.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

NDSCS is starting construction this year on their new Workforce Academy building in Fargo.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Gotta start blaming someone and that starts at the top. Those 3k less kids are possibly fucking with our economy. Wonder why we can't fill part time jobs and restaurants are closing? Wonder why the vacancy rates are high near NDSU campus while the rest of the city is very low? Wonder why the city is exploring giving tax breaks to turn north Fargo rental houses into single family? Everyone overbuilt near campus expecting an increase in attendance. The Prez is to blame
    Let's keep this one rolling even if NDSU enrollment hits 20k. The vast majority of rental houses aimed at college students are rarely if ever upgraded and lucky if they are ever maintained in anyway other than duct tape and bubble gum.

Not to drag this off topic but hey, this is Bisonville, I believe the city(all cities) should be proactive in finding ways to get their population to invest, live and play in older areas that are on the verge of falling so far behind they turn into the part of town no one wants to go to. This would help build a stronger city much more so than continuing to build outward at an alarming pace, imo.

Every time you post, it’s like a different random brain cell fires and you immediately post the thought it generates, no matter how insanely idiotic the thought is.

Right, but when you are behind at the gun in this format, where are you now? College is very much about intellectual discipline. They forget much of it, but the point is that they were able to master it, and it is the skills associated with this "mastering" that gives them what they need for their lives/careers. Yes, a good chunk of 18/19 years olds are behind the eight ball to begin with, but introducing a virtual barrier between everybody is only going to make that worse.

And now you have UND going to a "subscription" model, which is obviously geared toward continuing/adult online ed, but how do these "heads" count toward enrollment in the funding model? In the face of the current demographics – which frankly are pretty bleak for ND/MN – what I see is a model designed to help a school like UND and hurt a school like NDSU, but again, perhaps I’m being cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Kids logging in from bed isn’t really the issue I don’t think. Half of the people who enroll in person never finish either.

on-line learning can be great but it’s very hard to make it great on short notice when you’re faced with porting all off your offerings all at once. To do it right I think you need to reengineer the format and course work from the ground up. You can’t have someone talking at you for 40 minutes straight, 5 minute video chunks are better broken up with short reading or a question or two. Very few quizzes or assignments for grades instead the questions at the end of a module should be focused on mastering the concepts. The computer can just keep throwing questions at you providing feedback and pointing you to resources until you really understand it. It’s not for everyone or everything of course but neither is classroom learning. There’s a ton of potential in the online format but it takes time to build it right.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    NDSCS is starting construction this year on their new Workforce Academy building in Fargo.
    Moorhead is doing one too. It's certainly needed.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com