Thread: D1 Transformation Committee Final Report

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default D1 Transformation Committee Final Report

https://images.saymedia-content.com/...0%94123022.pdf

As expected, not a lot here. Remember that all of this needs to pass a vote. Some highlights:

The Transformation Committee recommends a reconsideration and update of
    FBS membership requirements to determine appropriateness of maintaining
    the current attendance standard while focusing on other elements that more
    directly link the student-athlete experience to expectations for FBS
    membership criteria. This review should be established by the Division I Board
    of Directors, involve experts and key leaders from the FBS membership and
    focus on establishing more effective distinctions between the football
    subdivision.
    The committee recommends that the Board of Directors direct appropriate
    governance entities to review sports-sponsorship minimums in the future,
    including consideration of a model in which institutions are not permitted to
    count a sport toward meeting minimum sports-sponsorship requirements
    unless it demonstrates a certain level of financial commitment to studentathlete scholarships in that sport.
    The presidential subgroup of the Transformation Committee recommends the
    elimination of the Presidential Forum. Adopt emergency legislation
    The Transformation Committee recommends that the Board of Directors direct
    appropriate governance entities to review legislation regarding professional
    opportunities for student-athletes -- tryouts, practice and competition -- preenrollment and post-enrollment.
    The Transformation Committee recommends further review of the concept of
    eliminating the maximum institutional grant-in-aid limitations by sport and
    allowing national rules in this area to focus on the number of student-athletes
    participating in countable athletically related activities during an institution’s
    playing season.
    In acknowledgement and support of the NCAA Division I Competition
    Oversight Committee’s ongoing work and pilot program, the Transformation
    Committee recommends that Division I championships should be composed in
    a manner that reflects the highest level of bracket composition and quality of
    competition, including seeding at least 50% of teams.
    To ensure that NCAA Division I championships provide national-level
    competition among the best eligible student-athletes and teams, the
    Transformation Committee recommends that the governing sport and
    oversight committees for Division I Championship team sports sponsored by
    more than 200 institutions should fully consider how to accommodate access
    for 25% of active member institutions in good standing with Division I
    membership requirements. Their considerations should account for impacts on
    the timing of the postseason, the total length of the postseason, necessary
    format changes, broadcast and other partners, budget resources, and host
    entity event management.

Default Re: D1 Transformation Committee Final Report

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    https://images.saymedia-content.com/...0%94123022.pdf

As expected, not a lot here. Remember that all of this needs to pass a vote. Some highlights:
    I thought we were expecting a lot? Am I mistaken or was this the reason we shouldn't be entertaining FBS ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I thought we were expecting a lot? Am I mistaken or was this the reason we shouldn't be entertaining FBS ideas?
    Yes, you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Yes, you are mistaken.
    Which is the one I'm thinking of? This report is talking about looking at the requirements for maintaining FBS status and efforts to provide more distinction between the subdivisions. Is that overlap from another committee?
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

"Hope" not "expect", but a little disappointing IMO and not really surprising
    The first and last seem to be the most significant, but in the first, no specific criteria are championed, and the last one seems out of control to me. 25%? Obviously not going to happen in FBS, and I wouldn't want it in FCS either. 90 teams in the NCAA BB tournament?

They should have called themselves the "D1 Trying to Facilitate Transformation(al) Committee" ...

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    "Hope" not "expect", but a little disappointing IMO and not really surprising
    The first and last seem to be the most significant, but in the first, no specific criteria are championed, and the last one seems out of control to me. 25%? Obviously not going to happen in FBS, and I wouldn't want it in FCS either. 90 teams in the NCAA BB tournament?

They should have called themselves the "D1 Trying to Facilitate Transformation(al) Committee" ...
    Lol these guys come from UND or something? Committee finds that a Committee should be formed to set the rules for FBS. Brilliant, guys.

We're nearly at 25% participation in FCS at this point. NCAA doesn't control the CFP. Not sure that even applies to football.

90 teams in tournament in every sport? Methinks the college presidents won't go for that. 64-ish in all other sports is already a ton of bloat. Going to have power conference teams with losing records getting in at that point.
    *one day later*

Honestly the more I think about it, if they were literally serious about the "providing distinction between the subdivisions"... you could read that as there are teams that are FBS that should be FCS and there are teams that are FCS that should be FBS. Are they willing to partition teams both directions to where they belong? The XDSU's would be competitive in any G5 conference tomorrow, while any FCS conference is much less competitive with their existence...

Good luck on partitioning teams. $ is the only thing I can think of that might work. They stopped enforcing attendance because the bottom quarter of the G5 would get bumped if they didn't.
    *one day later*

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Honestly the more I think about it, if they were literally serious about the "providing distinction between the subdivisions"... you could read that as there are teams that are FBS that should be FCS and there are teams that are FCS that should be FBS. Are they willing to partition teams both directions to where they belong? The XDSU's would be competitive in any G5 conference tomorrow, while any FCS conference is much less competitive with their existence...

Good luck on partitioning teams. $ is the only thing I can think of that might work. They stopped enforcing attendance because the bottom quarter of the G5 would get bumped if they didn't.
    This was the entire D1 committee setting D1 standards. Part of the changes are that they are going to have more Sport specific committees that can independently set the rules and standards for each sport. Eg: baseball, volleyball, soccer, hockey committees. It gives the sports more independence (because sport specific changes don't have to be blessed by all of NCAA). FBS gets more independence/autonomy out of this. FCS likely does also.

While this sounds like just more bureaucrats, what they are really doing is decentralizing control. Its a slightly less radical approach than having FBS leave the NCAA umbrella entirely.

What they've really said here is that the FBS committee (made up of FBS ADs) will decide the standards for FBS.
    The timeline suggested for this is around June 2023. I think they will make it more expensive to keep some schools out (eg ASun/WAC)

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Lol these guys come from UND or something? Committee finds that a Committee should be formed to set the rules for FBS. Brilliant, guys.

We're nearly at 25% participation in FCS at this point. NCAA doesn't control the CFP. Not sure that even applies to football.

90 teams in tournament in every sport? Methinks the college presidents won't go for that. 64-ish in all other sports is already a ton of bloat. Going to have power conference teams with losing records getting in at that point.
    25% won't apply to football for a few reasons:

1) this guideline was only made for Sports with 200+ members (FBS and FCS are separate)
    2) the decision to expand playoffs is still made by each independent sport. Basketball going to 90 isn't a given.
    3) I don't see FCS having enough money to run a 32 team playoff. If we are lucky, maybe we can seed 16 teams going forward. The guideline suggests at least 12 (50%) should be seeded.