Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 football aftermath thread

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: COVID-19 football aftermath thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Only mentioning this here because I don't want access to the poli board and I don't know if it's been brought up there. But I've been following covidactnow.org after someone on BV recommended it a couple months back. Red states had been declining from over a dozen states a couple weeks ago, down to just one(Mississippi). But then ND went red yesterday. The mass student testing at UND probably put ND over the top. It will likely get worse when the results from the NDSU mass testing get back in a few days.

Not looking for discussion on the issue, just putting it out there so someone can take it to the poli board if they want.
    It is a good site for pure numbers and a quick graphic snapshot. It is worth noting that SD and IA also just turned red for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdistheWord View Post
    It is a good site for pure numbers and a quick graphic snapshot. It is worth noting that SD and IA also just turned red for the first time.
    Yeah, I'm refreshing it a few times a day. I like that it has breakdowns by county. Good for populous counties like mine; not so great for rural counties. My county(Lane - OR) has been flirting with green for over a week now. Only metric left is the new cases per 100k. Need 1.0 for green, but Lane has been around 1.4 to 1.01. Never quite low enough to flip out of yellow. Positive test rate is nice and low at 1.2-1.3%.

I'm also using a decent site run by Oregon's major newspaper. Accessible graphs with both daily and 7 day averages overlaid on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    It went surprisingly well for the first game; from pre-game conferences (just the referee and umpire instead of the whole crew) with the coaches to the introduction of players (no tunnels to run thru, the PA merely announced the starting lineups) protocols set by the SDHSAA were followed. Games that were postponed early in South Dakota are being reschedule on later dates. Schools are working together and are following protocols to make sure that the experience for the players, coaches, and fans is the safest possible. What surprised me was the fact that concession stands were open. Lots of fans in the stands, however no bands were playing. The PA reminded fans of social distancing; however, it was not really adhered to from what I observed. It was a fun game and our crew was happy to be back on the field. Hopefully, the season will continue.
    I was at the OG game on Friday and felt it went well. Nice and sunny which likely helps prevent transmission which was great. I was surprised on how few wore masks in congested areas. We sat away from folks and took off our masks at that point and enjoyed the game. They had two concession areas open and they asked the students to use one of them to keep congestion down. As you said, band only at halftime which was the right thing to do, but a huge buzz kill. Better than no football, however.

My son has a JV game today and headed to brandon valley for that. So very thankful to live in a state who gets we need to learn to live with the virus, rather than letting the virus dictate our lives.

My biggest concern right now is the situations at USD and SDSU. Kids are young and don't get they they simply can't party like normal college kids; they are having huge outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I was at the OG game on Friday and felt it went well. Nice and sunny which likely helps prevent transmission which was great. I was surprised on how few wore masks in congested areas. We sat away from folks and took off our masks at that point and enjoyed the game. They had two concession areas open and they asked the students to use one of them to keep congestion down. As you said, band only at halftime which was the right thing to do, but a huge buzz kill. Better than no football, however.

My son has a JV game today and headed to brandon valley for that. So very thankful to live in a state who gets we need to learn to live with the virus, rather than letting the virus dictate our lives.

My biggest concern right now is the situations at USD and SDSU. Kids are young and don't get they they simply can't party like normal college kids; they are having huge outbreaks.
    Amen to your last couple comments; Do what you have to do to be safe. I am thankful that when I was college age, I didn't have to deal with what these youngsters have to deal with today.
    One big difference regarding football administration is the move of the chain gang. The chain gang was always on the visitor's side of the field, now they're on the home team side of the field. The rationale is the SDHSAA didn't want the chain gang mixing with people from outside the home team's community. I don't think that makes much of a difference, but whatever !

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Amen to your last couple comments; Do what you have to do to be safe. I am thankful that when I was college age, I didn't have to deal with what these youngsters have to deal with today.
    One big difference regarding football administration is the move of the chain gang. The chain gang was always on the visitor's side of the field, now they're on the home team side of the field. The rationale is the SDHSAA didn't want the chain gang mixing with people from outside the home team's community. I don't think that makes much of a difference, but whatever !
    Our chain gang hasn't moved. We haven't done anything different with ball mechanics. Teams are allowed to sanitize balls, but nobody has in my games. They extended time outs to 95 minutes to allow for more sanitization, but most teams are coming out close to the 60 second mark so we just go with it.

Attendance at games has been limited. Most coaches have masks, but they aren't always on. Lots of gators. It has largely felt normal. There have been some cancellations each week, but 80-85% of the games have been played. Most are a result of quarantine and not massive positive cases.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Our chain gang hasn't moved. We haven't done anything different with ball mechanics. Teams are allowed to sanitize balls, but nobody has in my games. They extended time outs to 95 minutes to allow for more sanitization, but most teams are coming out close to the 60 second mark so we just go with it.

Attendance at games has been limited. Most coaches have masks, but they aren't always on. Lots of gators. It has largely felt normal. There have been some cancellations each week, but 80-85% of the games have been played. Most are a result of quarantine and not massive positive cases.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Timeouts in SD are a full 2 minutes; includes scores after TD's and in between quarters. Like you said, if teams are ready to go, they run onto the field sooner then they would have to. We also allow a water break in SD (time on the clock under 7 minutes for each quarter), but this is temperature dictated, won't happen in October. I watched some Ohio high school football on ESPN on Saturday.....Pinkerton North vs Pinkerton Central. The umpire, after a down, would spot the ball using his bean bag. The ball carrier would hand/toss the football to the team's center. The center kept the football in his hands during the huddle, carried it to the LOS where the umpire had placed his bean bag, then snapped the ball. The officials (referee, line judge, head linesman, back judge, and umpire) never touched the football or so it seemed. It's amazing what high school associations are doing to keep the experience for everyone as safe as possible.

Timeouts in SD are a full 2 minutes; includes scores after TD's and in between quarters. Like you said, if teams are ready to go, they run onto the field sooner then they would have to. We also allow a water break in SD (time on the clock under 7 minutes for each quarter), but this is temperature dictated, won't happen in October. I watched some Ohio high school football on ESPN on Saturday.....Pinkerton North vs Pinkerton Central. The umpire, after a down, would spot the ball using his bean bag. The ball carrier would hand/toss the football to the team's center. The center kept the football in his hands during the huddle, carried it to the LOS where the umpire had placed his bean bag, then snapped the ball. The officials (referee, line judge, head linesman, back judge, and umpire) never touched the football or so it seemed. It's amazing what high school associations are doing to keep the experience for everyone as safe as possible.
    Good idea, but contact transmission has been completely overblown.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...%20the%20virus

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Good idea, but contact transmission has been completely overblown.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...%20the%20virus

How Dare you, Fan? How dare you share data contrary to the precious narrative? How DARE you, Sir!
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

College player dies of Covid complications. Does not say if they were actively practicing though so this might have nothing to do with football.

https://apple.news/AwUQdS-TIRwuQIPSjTkcqdw
    Don't believe everything you think.

But, young healthy people don’t get COVID.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie