Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 football aftermath thread

Default Re: COVID-19 football aftermath thread

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    We are getting ready for HS football season here right now. Some of the HS teams draw better than a lot of FCS teams. I hope the fans can use their noggins as well as it sounds the Iowa fans did...but i have my doubts...I mean really "Floriduh Man"
    North Dakota has already lost one high school game due to a COVID infection.
    https://www.inforum.com/incoming/663...-COVID-19-test
    It's OK to not be OK.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    PPP program has closed and we are beginning the forgiveness applications now. You missed your window.
    They couldn't apply then because there was no income lots at the time. It's the nature of the gig economy. They are still debating a new stimulus package and something like PPP is a part of it or at least something to help those in a gig economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    North Dakota has already lost one high school game due to a COVID infection.
    https://www.inforum.com/incoming/663...-COVID-19-test
    We are in week 2 in Indiana. We had at least 48 games cancelled in week 1 (out of approximately 160) and 19 new games added for a net loss of 29 games. This week we are at 36 canceled and 21 added for a net loss of 15 games. That will continue to change during the week.

The good news is we've solved our officiating shortage at least for this year. There were some who opted out due to COVID, but there are lot more game cancellations than crew official cancellations.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    They couldn't apply then because there was no income lots at the time. It's the nature of the gig economy. They are still debating a new stimulus package and something like PPP is a part of it or at least something to help those in a gig economy. We are in week 2 in Indiana. We had at least 48 games cancelled in week 1 (out of approximately 160) and 19 new games added for a net loss of 29 games. This week we are at 36 canceled and 21 added for a net loss of 15 games. That will continue to change during the week.

The good news is we've solved our officiating shortage at least for this year. There were some who opted out due to COVID, but there are lot more game cancellations than crew official cancellations.

South Dakota is in the same boat, but only on a much smaller scale. One reservation school canceled last week because the tribal council is not allowing schools from communities they consider covid hotbeds to come on the reservation (Sioux Falls) Conversely, the council is not allowing the reservation teams to travel to covid hotbeds. My football crew's game for Friday night is still on, and we have our finger's crossed. We would hate to see our opener canceled, but we realize things can change quickly.
    Last edited by southcliffbison; 08-26-2020 at 07:11 PM. Reason: fixed the quote

Every time I see this thread, I think of this:

Turn the volume down.

And every time I watch a video like that, I wonder if I guy my age could do that without wrecking myself.

Only mentioning this here because I don't want access to the poli board and I don't know if it's been brought up there. But I've been following covidactnow.org after someone on BV recommended it a couple months back. Red states had been declining from over a dozen states a couple weeks ago, down to just one(Mississippi). But then ND went red yesterday. The mass student testing at UND probably put ND over the top. It will likely get worse when the results from the NDSU mass testing get back in a few days.

Not looking for discussion on the issue, just putting it out there so someone can take it to the poli board if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Only mentioning this here because I don't want access to the poli board and I don't know if it's been brought up there. But I've been following covidactnow.org after someone on BV recommended it a couple months back. Red states had been declining from over a dozen states a couple weeks ago, down to just one(Mississippi). But then ND went red yesterday. The mass student testing at UND probably put ND over the top. It will likely get worse when the results from the NDSU mass testing get back in a few days.

Not looking for discussion on the issue, just putting it out there so someone can take it to the poli board if they want.
    Too many Nodaks went to Sturgis ???

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    South Dakota is in the same boat, but only on a much smaller scale. One reservation school canceled last week because the tribal council is not allowing schools from communities they consider covid hotbeds to come on the reservation (Sioux Falls) Conversely, the council is not allowing the reservation teams to travel to covid hotbeds. My football crew's game for Friday night is still on, and we have our finger's crossed. We would hate to see our opener canceled, but we realize things can change quickly.
    How did your game go? We've had 2 weeks of scrimmages and 2 weeks of games and so far so good. There haven't been any major outbreaks yet, but games are getting cancelled due to quarantine. There were close to 30 games lost week 1 and 20 games week 2 (normally about 160 games each week).

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    How did your game go? We've had 2 weeks of scrimmages and 2 weeks of games and so far so good. There haven't been any major outbreaks yet, but games are getting cancelled due to quarantine. There were close to 30 games lost week 1 and 20 games week 2 (normally about 160 games each week).

It went surprisingly well for the first game; from pre-game conferences (just the referee and umpire instead of the whole crew) with the coaches to the introduction of players (no tunnels to run thru, the PA merely announced the starting lineups) protocols set by the SDHSAA were followed. Games that were postponed early in South Dakota are being reschedule on later dates. Schools are working together and are following protocols to make sure that the experience for the players, coaches, and fans is the safest possible. What surprised me was the fact that concession stands were open. Lots of fans in the stands, however no bands were playing. The PA reminded fans of social distancing; however, it was not really adhered to from what I observed. It was a fun game and our crew was happy to be back on the field. Hopefully, the season will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

A few days? They were testing ndsu almost 2 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    A few days? They were testing ndsu almost 2 weeks ago
    I saw something in the news about a mass testing event that NDSU had just done that they hadn't gotten the results back yet. Since that post you quoted, there has also been a report that NDUS officials were disappointed at the low turnouts. I'll come back and edit with details.

Okay, I posted that on the 26th based off a story released late the night of the 24th.
    https://www.grandforksherald.com/new...t-over-a-dozen
    UND says they weren't surprised by the growing case count, attributing it mainly to a five-day mass testing event last week. More than 3,500 members of the campus community were checked out, a majority of them students. Prior to that the campus was reporting just over 50 cases.

"At this point we are still in good shape with how can help isolate individuals or quarantine," said Linder.

A similar event was also held for the NDSU community. Those results are still not back.

And here's the story about the NDUS:
    https://www.grandforksherald.com/new...esting-turnout
    The state, planning for high volumes of testing, allocated more than 28,000 tests for the university system, according to Vern Dosch, the North Dakota contact tracing administrator. In total, about 13,000 people were tested on college campuses, including students, faculty, staff and the general public.