Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHAC Atmosphere

Default SHAC Atmosphere

My first NDSU basketball game this weekend. Had alot of fun with my two boys (4 and 2). But what I saw was shocking....

our basketball fans SuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. holy Sh*t, what a disappointment. It sounds like its a football game where we are always on offense. Absolutely no cheering whatsoever unless we score. No yelling on defense, no chanting. Atmosphere is dead as a doornail unless we're scoring at the moment.
    First NDSU basketball game I've been to and wow our fans were horrific. Ive seen gyms with only 300 fans that were VASTLY more raucous and LOUD than the 2800 people who were there.
    No home of the "BISON!", no cheering on defense, no chanting, no crowd engagement, student section was standing room only but were silent as a cemetery.

Seriously, If our basktball fans were HALF as engaged as our football fans, we would have a top 50 atmosphere in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL

I was EASILY the loudest fan on my half of the stadium, simply by whistling when we hit 3s and dunked and during opponent free throws. I should not be one of the 5-10 loudest people in the stadium when I'm holding a napping toddler in my arms. Dumfounding.

Seriously, what the hell do they need to do to get people engaged?? We're playing our biggest rival by a mile, 1st place in the conference on the line, CLOSE game, damn good teams, capacity crowd.... and crickets almost the entire game
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Default Re: SHAC Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    My first NDSU basketball game this weekend. Had alot of fun with my two boys (4 and 2). But what I saw was shocking....

our basketball fans SuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. holy Sh*t, what a disappointment. It sounds like its a football game where we are always on offense. Absolutely no cheering whatsoever unless we score. No yelling on defense, no chanting. Atmosphere is dead as a doornail unless we're scoring at the moment.
    First NDSU basketball game I've been to and wow our fans were horrific. Ive seen gyms with only 300 fans that were VASTLY more raucous and LOUD than the 2800 people who were there.
    No home of the "BISON!", no cheering on defense, no chanting, no crowd engagement, student section was standing room only but were silent as a cemetery.

Seriously, If our basktball fans were HALF as engaged as our football fans, we would have a top 50 atmosphere in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL

I was EASILY the loudest fan on my half of the stadium, simply by whistling when we hit 3s and dunked and during opponent free throws. I should not be one of the 5-10 loudest people in the stadium when I'm holding a napping toddler in my arms. Dumfounding.

Seriously, what the hell do they need to do to get people engaged?? We're playing our biggest rival by a mile, 1st place in the conference on the line, CLOSE game, damn good teams, capacity crowd.... and crickets almost the entire game
    Honestly I bet many people were pleased with the crowd, but just comparing the average NDSU football fan and the average NDSU basketball fan, was a disparity so large it had me at a loss for words. I was less than half as engaged as I am at a football game and was, without a doubt, the most raucous fan in my HALF of the stadium with the exception of the guys in the green tuxes .

I almost yelled "BISOOON" during the national anthem and made a fool of myself. Can anyone give me a good reason we DONT do that? I mean shouldnt we carry over almost all of the football traditions to Basketball? Yelling like hell on defense, home of the bison, holding up a 4 or 2 in the second half, chanting at least ONCE a game, on the court entertainment, thundar running around the court with a flag? Thunderstruck as an intro?!?!?!? Seriously who the F*ck is in charge of gameday experience at the basketball games??? The pep band plays less than half as much as the marching band, and there are over 2x as many timeouts?? I think they played 3 songs in the last 60 minutes of the game and that included half time. seriously, what. the F*ck. is. going. on.

im literally in culture shock right now.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

I just pulled up a facebook memory of 7 years ago, the BSA had 6500 vs SDSU and Students stood the whole time in the BSA.

74-59 ass whooping with 3 Trayvon Wright breakaway dunks and Taylor Braun with 2 dunks and LA/Marshall dominating the pick n roll game.

Coaching/Admin changed since that year.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Chapo is right that the atmosphere was better as the ol' Big Sweaty Ass as compared to now at the SHAC. I think the biggest difference is that the students forgot how to be involved in basketball games with those 2 years of off campus games while the BSA->SHAC renovation was happening. It probably doesn't help that they used to be right behind the team benches and now are stuck behind a basket.

I also don't think we need to bring the football traditions to basketball like playing Thunderstruck as an intro. Basketball needs it's own identity... they used to have Thunderstruck as their intro and it didn't really work.

But to Mankato's point I was at the men's game on Friday night and I was pretty surprised how little the crowd was engaged as the very end since it was a super tight game and those were the biggest possessions of the season at that point. That SDSU game in February 2020 that basically decided the top seed in the upcoming Summit League Tourney was much more raucous. I think the main thing is people are nervous to get loud and boisterous because of all the COVID restrictions. We're supposed to wear masks to reduce the proliferation of aerosol droplets and yelling doesn't help that.

For sure it’s a COVID thing. I’m hoping it’s not permanent (same hope with the virus)...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Chapo is right that the atmosphere was better as the ol' Big Sweaty Ass as compared to now at the SHAC. I think the biggest difference is that the students forgot how to be involved in basketball games with those 2 years of off campus games while the BSA->SHAC renovation was happening. It probably doesn't help that they used to be right behind the team benches and now are stuck behind a basket.

I also don't think we need to bring the football traditions to basketball like playing Thunderstruck as an intro. Basketball needs it's own identity... they used to have Thunderstruck as their intro and it didn't really work.

But to Mankato's point I was at the men's game on Friday night and I was pretty surprised how little the crowd was engaged as the very end since it was a super tight game and those were the biggest possessions of the season at that point. That SDSU game in February 2020 that basically decided the top seed in the upcoming Summit League Tourney was much more raucous. I think the main thing is people are nervous to get loud and boisterous because of all the COVID restrictions. We're supposed to wear masks to reduce the proliferation of aerosol droplets and yelling doesn't help that.

This is correct, the two year hiatus in Scheel's Arena killed the student section. There was no student section for those two year's and students forgot how to lead and participate in games. When the SHAC was completed, the upper classmen in the student section would have been freshman or high school seniors during the last year of the BSA. Those classes were never really a part of the old BSA crowd.

The student section's chants and making noise are what the rest of the crowd feeds off of. Silent student section equals silent crowd. It's been that way since we left the BSA.

The last part has a lot of truth to it. This weekend's basketball and football games were the first events I've attended in over a year. I personally was definitely cautious about getting loud the entire time. I'm sure a lot of the crowd had similar thoughts/concerns.

I think the students came out in bigger numbers this year over any year since the SHAC opened.

533 In a row

Plus having coaches like Tim Miles and Saul Phillips who "actively" encouraged the crowds (which at that time was students right behind them) at times is helpful too. Richman doesn't have that fiery personality that can ignite a crowd. That statement is not meant to be a love him/hate him statement just stating my "opinion" vs the previous 2 coaches we had.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I think the students came out in bigger numbers this year over any year since the SHAC opened.
    Agreed. I wonder if having the womens/mens doubleheader helps out???

But even though they're showing up they're still not very engaged in the game compared to the BSA days. I guess getting them in the door is the first step though so that's a positive.

Random useless memory I have from the Woodside days.... they were playing Utah Valley St (who had a pretty decent team back in the mid-2000s) and they had a coach who had a real deep voice. Anytime he would yell something to his players on the court a bunch of the students behind their bench would start barking like a big dog (think "ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO!!!"). Those were good times! (and that's another advantage of having the student section right behind the player benches)
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 02-22-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post

Agreed. That's my perception too which is surprising. Just need to keep the momentum going in that direction.