Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some stats from the last decade (2010's)

Default Some stats from the last decade (2010's)

NDSU played more teams ranked in both the media and coaches poll than any other team (62). Second-most was South Dakota State: 43. Average rank of those opponents was 11.
    NDSU played a higher percentage of teams ranked in both the media and coaches poll than any other team (43%). Second-most was South Dakota: 42%
    NDSU gave up an average of 13.6 ppg for the decade
    NDSU gave up an average of 15.0 ppg vs FBS competion (5 of the 6 games were against P5 foes, all away games of course.)
    NDSU beat the runner-up playoff team in 9 out of 10 seasons. The one season they didn't was the one season they didn't get to play them. That season (2010) they took the national champion to overtime.
    NDSU put together the two longest winning streaks in FCS history (33 and 37 and counting.)

(this is a work-in-progress)
    Last edited by tony; 07-21-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Default Re: Some stats from the last decade (2010's)

Stat nerding out... I like it tony!

Here's a good one I found (that just includes a subset of the decade): From the beginning of the 2017 season to the end of the 2019 season the Bison defense allowed 12,295 total yards. In that same timeframe the Bison offense rushed for 12,999 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    NDSU played more teams ranked in both the media and coaches poll than any other team (62). Second-most was South Dakota State: 43. Average rank of those opponents was 11.
    NDSU played a higher percentage of teams ranked in both the media and coaches poll than any other team (43%). Second-most was South Dakota: 42%
    NDSU gave up an average of 15.0 ppg vs FBS competion (5 of the 6 games were against P5 foes, all away games of course.)
    NDSU beat the runner-up playoff team in 9 out of 10 seasons. The one season they didn't was the one season they didn't get to play them. That season they took the national championship to overtime.
    NDSU put together the two longest winning streaks in FCS history (37 and 37 and counting.)

NDSU football fans page gonna cite you .. as Tony or Angry Elf or Bisonville?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

NDSU beat the runner-up playoff team in 9 out of 10 seasons. The one season they didn't was the one season they didn't get to play them. That season they took the national championship to overtime.
    NDSU put together the two longest winning streaks in FCS history (37 and 37 and counting.)

Having a hard time understanding this one fully, can you elaborate please?

I think I get it now. Delaware would be the team we didn't get a chance to play the year we lost to eventual champion EWU, correct? I was getting my mind tangled around the year we lost to JMU but they were the eventual champs not the runner up. I guess it was just the use of runner-up playoff team instead of "the team that lost in the championship" or some other term.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    NDSU football fans page gonna cite you .. as Tony or Angry Elf or Bisonville?
    The only people who deserve credit for these are the NDSU players and coaches - certainly not me.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Having a hard time understanding this one fully, can you elaborate please?

I think I get it now. Delaware would be the team we didn't get a chance to play the year we lost to eventual champion EWU, correct? I was getting my mind tangled around the year we lost to JMU but they were the eventual champs not the runner up. I guess it was just the use of runner-up playoff team instead of "the team that lost in the championship" or some other term.
    Well, I wrote "championship" instead of "champions" so that was a typo... and it was kind of hard to explain too.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wasn't the 12-14 winning streak 33 games?

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    Wasn't the 12-14 winning streak 33 games?
    Yes, it was. So... let me rephrase, the only ones who deserve credit for the stats are the Bison players and coaches, but I'm responsible for the typos.

Yes, it was. So... let me rephrase, the only ones who deserve credit for the stats are the Bison players and coaches, but I'm responsible for the typos.
    Everyone has some special skill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

In the 6 wins vs FBS schools in the decade, the NDSU defense allowed:

-90 points (15 ppg)....and
    -12 touchdowns (2 tdpg).