Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Thomas to DI-approved

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: St. Thomas to DI-approved

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    yea interesting. Free Tuition at $35k/year St Thomas vs paying $18k/year at NDSU ?
    St Thomas is non-scholarship
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    St Thomas is non-scholarship
    Yah, "non-scholarship". My oldest step son played hockey there yet he went to school for half price without a "scholarship". I wonder how those "non-scholarships" will be viewed by the Patriot League and the NCAA?
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    St Thomas Drops Mens & Womens Tennis ... (which is weird, cuz Summit League does have those)

St Thomas first D1 Football Class was back in December
    https://www.tommiesports.com/news/20...ing-class.aspx
    They are supporting 20+ teams. That's not sustainable with the DI move.

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Yah, "non-scholarship". My oldest step son played hockey there yet he went to school for half price without a "scholarship". I wonder how those "non-scholarships" will be viewed by the Patriot League and the NCAA?
    A lot of those schools do the same. Private schools usually have large endowments and that helps reduce the cost to 80%+ or their students. My son is looking at schools and looked into Rice. He could go there for the same or slightly less than a state school because if you're not a millionaire once you fill out all their forms the tuition drops by like 60-70%.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    A lot of those schools do the same. Private schools usually have large endowments and that helps reduce the cost to 80%+ or their students. My son is looking at schools and looked into Rice. He could go there for the same or slightly less than a state school because if you're not a millionaire once you fill out all their forms the tuition drops by like 60-70%.
    I audited several private schools and I asked why they kept increasing tuition at such large intervals but also kept increasing scholarships. The answer was simple. Parents love to tell their friends that their kids received a college scholarship. So the net effect might be the same but it gave parents bragging rights.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I audited several private schools and I asked why they kept increasing tuition at such large intervals but also kept increasing scholarships. The answer was simple. Parents love to tell their friends that their kids received a college scholarship. So the net effect might be the same but it gave parents bragging rights.
    A lot of truth to this statement. A school can figure the cost per student before scholarships is $40k. But then charge $60k and offer many of them a $20k scholarship. That scholarship didn't actually cost them anything and some people will end up paying the $60k. The trick is to get the scholarship to get the cost lower than a state university and you are golden.

good points people..

i just figured the summit league would want tennis teams, that's all .
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    A lot of truth to this statement. A school can figure the cost per student before scholarships is $40k. But then charge $60k and offer many of them a $20k scholarship. That scholarship didn't actually cost them anything and some people will end up paying the $60k. The trick is to get the scholarship to get the cost lower than a state university and you are golden.
    This is also rampant in the medical field as everyone should know

While Division III schools do not offer athletics scholarships, 75 percent of Division III student-athletes receive some form of merit or need-based financial aid.
    https://www.ncaa.org/student-athlete...ility%20Center.

"Need-based" aid ... like the FB coach needed that player. (That's how I've been told the MIAC works. ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Kind of like the stores that always sell items at "30% off the suggested price" when the normal price is just increased by 30% so people think they are getting a good deal.
    It's OK to not be OK.