Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Thomas to DI-approved

Default Re: St. Thomas to DI-approved

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    That's all fair... It also assumes that the next round of tv negotiations are similar to those in the past. Whose to say that the next go round isn't more streaming-centric and tv market has way less impact on conference (re)alignment.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely possible, but interest from population centers I don't think is ever going to go out of vogue with advertisers. We'll see. But right now the feedback that conference commissioners are getting is A) their member schools ADs need cash and B) taking on seemingly ridiculous and downright cynical member additions in order to get that cash seems to work.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    Those Universities aren't in the Pac 12 or Big 12 because they don't fit in at all with the other universities in those conferences?

UST fits in like a glove with the other big east hoops schools (especially the midwest schools) and adds a Top 15 media market to their cable distribution (which not only has mattered a lot to date, it will matter a boatload more in the next 5 years as all of those deals get redone and conference realignment happens). To a conference which kind of actually could use a 6th midwest team to round everything out. A conference which by the way despite being named the Big East added freaking San Diego a few years back.

I know it feels like a leap and I certainly get that you personally are against this, but if I'm running the Big East and UST shows even the most remote competency early I'm asking my TV partners what adding MSP does to our deal. Looking at where they get their 12th team from, which almost certainly would prefer to be the midwest, I suppose only SLU is a better fit and even that is more about their history of actually playing mid-major hoops because the media market in MSP is about 50% bigger than SL.
    UST does not fit like a glove, its a small school with no history, fan base, or facilities. San Diego is not in the Big East. San Diego State, a high-mid major basketball program was invited at one point to save the football conference now known as the American Athletic Conference. There is no reason to believe a mediocre private school will deliver the MSP market unless they are really damn good at basketball, much better than NDSU or SDSU as I have said.

There are a dozen better fits than St. Thomas, including preseason #3 *Dayton* out there. Take the L dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

No school is joining the Big East right now unless they have a great basketball pedigree, MSP is a nice market but they can have their pick of any private school in a big market. The MVC is the only concern as far as UST is concerned.

Honestly the Summit could be a strong league, we've shed our weaker parts outside of WIU and now have a cohesive footprint. That said, more schools need to up their basketball commitment to get there.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    That said, more schools need to up their basketball commitment to get there.
    NDSU included

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    NDSU included
    NDSU needs to up spending to the 2.5-3.0 million range for BB, and really emphasize a commitment to BB. Need to draw 4500-5000 fans, generate money, and create some atmosphere to up the anti on BB.

I think the league improvements are going to help. With . . . NDSU, UND, USD SDSU, UST, ORU, Omaha, Denver . . . that's pretty solid 8, and I could see us drawing 4-5k for conference games, assuming no virus. KC isn't a terrible name, WIL is.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    NDSU needs to up spending to the 2.5-3.0 million range for BB, and really emphasize a commitment to BB. Need to draw 4500-5000 fans, generate money, and create some atmosphere to up the anti on BB.

I think the league improvements are going to help. With . . . NDSU, UND, USD SDSU, UST, ORU, Omaha, Denver . . . that's pretty solid 8, and I could see us drawing 4-5k for conference games, assuming no virus. KC isn't a terrible name, WIL is.
    A massive improvement for attendance would be getting back to Fri/Sat games. And the tightening of the footprint could well allow that again.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    A massive improvement for attendance would be getting back to Fri/Sat games. And the tightening of the footprint could well allow that again.
    Even a consistent Thursday/Saturday with mirror scheduling for the men/women would be an absolutely massive upgrade.

St Thomas Drops Mens & Womens Tennis ... (which is weird, cuz Summit League does have those)

St Thomas first D1 Football Class was back in December
    https://www.tommiesports.com/news/20...ing-class.aspx
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Believe we plucked Owen Johnson from them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    Believe we plucked Owen Johnson from them!!
    yea interesting. Free Tuition at $35k/year St Thomas vs paying $18k/year at NDSU ?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?