Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Radical Realignment article on SI website features NDSU as lone FCS call-up

Default Re: Radical Realignment article on SI website features NDSU as lone FCS call-up

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    I could see SDSU or NDSU become MAC champs within 1-3yrs, and I could see JMU be CUSA or Sun belt champs in the same time frame.

UM and MSU I dont think would ever sniff being W champs, but I could see a division title in 3-5 years as long as they wouldnt be in Boise's division. They aint passing boise- ever lol.
    ....so Wyoming is capable of beating Boise but Montana isnt?
    College of Business Alumnus

Grizzled is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Radical Realignment article on SI website features NDSU as lone FCS call-up

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    But are they as deserving? Or anywhere near as promising? Give us your list please. I'm genuinely curious
    Most schools play FCS football for the financial reason. They choose to spend money on a different sport. If you take the top third of the valley or big sky or a southern conference and tell them suddenly you have a TV contract worth ten million plus. You are also going to have home games with BIG10, Big 12, PAC or SEC teams. Your going to cut your travel budget. There would be schools that would positively fund football in ways they can’t now and would be competitive. The only schools this hurts are the current P5 schools who are penalized financially by having to share their piece of the financial pie from tv contracts and ticket revenues

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    Most schools play FCS football for the financial reason. They choose to spend money on a different sport. If you take the top third of the valley or big sky or a southern conference and tell them suddenly you have a TV contract worth ten million plus. You are also going to have home games with BIG10, Big 12, PAC or SEC teams. Your going to cut your travel budget. There would be schools that would positively fund football in ways they can’t now and would be competitive. The only schools this hurts are the current P5 schools who are penalized financially by having to share their piece of the financial pie from tv contracts and ticket revenues
    True, but it's too many mouths so it isn't feasible. What the SI article outlines is feasible, just not popular. I think that's the important distinction. There isn't enough room at the top, so only a few - the very best - should get a chance. Relegation then maintains the pressure to "earn those dollars"

True, but it's too many mouths so it isn't feasible. What the SI article outlines is feasible, just not popular. I think that's the important distinction. There isn't enough room at the top, so only a few - the very best - should get a chance. Relegation then maintains the pressure to "earn those dollars"
    That would have to be done at the G5 level. No P5 team would agree to it. None of the P5 teams are giving up their current conferences for what is outlined. That proposal is only good for G5 and lower.

That would have to be done at the G5 level. No P5 team would agree to it. None of the P5 teams are giving up their current conferences for what is outlined. That proposal is only good for G5 and lower.
    If the P5 had to choose between what SI is suggesting and what you are suggesting, they would choose the first because it reduces the overall G5 presence, as opposed to increasing it. So in the game of completely hypothetical arguments, SI wins. That's my point and I'm sure you agree.

Of course no one would force them. They would have to see $$ in it. But who knows what the future holds. I'd say UMN vs. NDSU would probably garner more local attention and local $$ than UMN vs. Rutgers ...

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    ....so Wyoming is capable of beating Boise but Montana isnt?
    I didnt even mention Wyoming at all in anything that I've said. I dont think Wyoming is capable of beating boise in a title game in a normal year. I sincerely dont know what you're asking about or implying. I think Wyoming would beat montana if they played today. Does that answer your question? honestly I dont know what your question is haha
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

If the P5 had to choose between what SI is suggesting and what you are suggesting, they would choose the first because it reduces the overall G5 presence, as opposed to increasing it. So in the game of completely hypothetical arguments, SI wins. That's my point and I'm sure you agree.

Of course no one would force them. They would have to see $$ in it. But who knows what the future holds. I'd say UMN vs. NDSU would probably garner more local attention and local $$ than UMN vs. Rutgers ...
    There is no money in it for current P5 schools. They would give up more TV revenue and ticket revenue than they would save in travel.

There is no money in it for current P5 schools. They would give up more TV revenue and ticket revenue than they would save in travel.
    Hence my use of the word "forced". External factors would have to come into play, you know, like a pandemic or something ...

But if "forced" into realignment, the P5 would much rather decrease the G5 presence in FBS than increase it. Less mouths to feed and more for them

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    I could see SDSU or NDSU become MAC champs within 1-3yrs, and I could see JMU be CUSA or Sun belt champs in the same time frame.

UM and MSU I dont think would ever sniff being W champs, but I could see a division title in 3-5 years as long as they wouldnt be in Boise's division. They aint passing boise- ever lol.
    NDSU would be favored against every MAC school, and would be expected to win the conference every year for the foreseeable future.

SDSU would be a contender for second place behind NDSU.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I also suspect the other role of the NCAA is to provide cover... The NCAA can't do a thing without University President approval. However whenever something happens, the Presidents can say "Hey, its the NCAA's decision."
    The NCAA IS the University presidents. They are over in the same. It's a membership organization that self regulates their own rules. The NCAA office exists to enforce the rules passed by their board which is made up of university presidents. If the staff gets off the rails in their enforcement the board will step in on behalf of their members.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk