Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Proud of our coaching staff and team

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Proud of our coaching staff and team

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Compelled reverence to national symbols in a democratic republic has always made about as much sense to me as compelled religious piety in a theocracy.
    I have a question for you. Do you have a job? Not trying to be a smart ass....just wondering.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    And this statement is not even close to being true...just look at the numbers.
    And like I said before, it shouldn't matter what the reasoning is given for kneeling. I didn't make the rules, they did.

You're back to the logic trap that we already established isn't valid. No one on the left said things that offend people should be banned.

They said things that offend them should be bad.

By your logic gay pride marches should be banned because it might offend evangelicals. That is not a position anyone on the left has ever taken.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Compelled reverence to national symbols in a democratic republic has always made about as much sense to me as compelled religious piety in a theocracy.
    I've had/got family in the military and it's a feeling like no other. I'm not from this country, but I damn near tear up every time I hear the national anthem while standing for the flag...knowing where I could be had it not been for my American parents. I think of my grandfather who served in WW2, I think of all that have given the ultimate sacrificed for this country. I think of my brother, my brother-in-law currently in the military.

I've heard so many people from across the oceans display their jealousy of patriotism that America holds for the flag and military. They all have initial feelings like you do, then they always follow it up with I wish we had more of that in our country.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    You're back to the logic trap that we already established isn't valid. No one on the left said things that offend people should be banned.

They said things that offend them should be bad.

By your logic gay pride marches should be banned because it might offend evangelicals. That is not a position anyone on the left has ever taken.
    Bullshit. Why are conservative speakers banned on college campuses? Why were confederate flags banned? When all that supported the flag in the south proclaimed that it had nothing to do with racism. Why was the Sioux mascot/logo removed? When we all knew it had nothing to do with racism. Why is the question. Because...it offended someone.

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    I have a question for you. Do you have a job? Not trying to be a smart ass....just wondering.
    Yes

10char

They all have initial feelings like you do, then they always follow it up with I wish we had more of that in our country.
    Do you know what feelings I have though? Just curious because it's quite possible to take that the wrong way.

Bullshit. Why are conservative speakers banned on college campuses? Why were confederate flags banned? When all that supported the flag in the south proclaimed that it had nothing to do with racism. Why was the Sioux mascot/logo removed? When we all knew it had nothing to do with racism. Why is the question. Because...it offended someone.
    No, it offends leftists.

What aren't you getting about this?

"We removed things that offended you so now you have to remove things that offend us." isn't how it works. What you think is a "gotcha" is the opposite. It's not how they operate.

I stand at attention until the flag has left the playing surface (not when the song is over like most people do) although it does seem kind of silly IMHO to play the national anthem at every sporting event. You can read about how this tradition started at https://www.history.com/news/why-the...porting-events.
    It's OK to not be OK.

I think that's inherent in human nature. Have you noticed the odd ritualistic elements associated with the BLM movement this time around? Even down to the "reflection times" that look an awful lot like prayer time to me.

It's all one's and zero's man. You plug and play a few of them around and you got the same shit with a different skin.

Some people just hate that skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I think that's inherent in human nature. Have you noticed the odd ritualistic elements associated with the BLM movement this time around? Even down to the "reflection times" that look an awful lot like prayer time to me.

It's all one's and zero's man. You plug and play a few of them around and you got the same shit with a different skin.

Some people just hate that skin.

Compelled reverence can produce an impressive display of strength but how thin of a veneer is it compared to that created by deeply held convictions shared across an entire population. I've just always thought when American has been at it's best, that has been our strength compared to other nations.

Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and the Communist Chinese are masters of showcasing their civilians' reverence. To me it reeks of a false facade, compensating for societies ill structured for sustained unity. The hard work of maintaining a society in which all citizens across a broad and varied population truly feel loyalty and devotion to is where true strength arises.
    Last edited by EC8CH; 06-08-2020 at 10:14 PM.