Page 88 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 ndsu football season

Default Re: 2020 ndsu football season

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    If leadership like the big ten is in charge, they appear to think zero transmission is the only way they can play. That means not even a vaccine will be enough.....I'm not sure when football will ever start again under those conditions!
    I don't think that any of these teams that are starting a season will finish it...

Here's the math problem:

Team A has 3 players test positive on Monday.
    They leave those 3 players at home and bring 65 players to go visit Team B on Saturday.
    How many positive tests do Team A and Team B end up with?

I just don't see how they can limit contact to just a handful of players. If 3 players have it, then their contacts include everybody on the team so the proper protocol would be to quarantine the whole lot of them. Any other approach ignores the reality of how easily COVID spreads. Reality doesn't care about the SEC television contract.

The only way this works if teams somehow prevent any players from getting COVID-19 during the season. That's a tall order. I hope they can do it, but it doesn't seem likely.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I don't think that any of these teams that are starting a season will finish it...

Here's the math problem:

Team A has 3 players test positive on Monday.
    They leave those 3 players at home and bring 65 players to go visit Team B on Saturday.
    How many positive tests do Team A and Team B end up with?

I just don't see how they can limit contact to just a handful of players. If 3 players have it, then their contacts include everybody on the team so the proper protocol would be to quarantine the whole lot of them, but they must be thinking of doing something different, but that approach ignores the reality of how easily COVID spreads. Reality doesn't care about the SEC television contract.

The only way this works if teams somehow prevent any players from getting COVID-19 during the season. That's a tall order.
    The virus is spread mainly respiratory; much can be done to mitigate that risk. Contact spread, which is the big worry in football, is minimal. Yes, guys are going to get the virus, but no, entire teams will not get it. Yes, some will have to quarantine; young guys will play. You will never quarantine an entire team. This key is to mitigate how many get it at a time, and have a way for high risk players to opt out and not lose eligibility. Do folks think the SEC, Big 12, and ACC also don't have medical experts? The difference is accepting some transmission is going to happen versus trying to prevent all transmission. That is the disconnect, politically, as well. Try to prevent widespread outbreaks, and isolate those that get it and the closest contacts.

Big 10, PAC 12, and the Missouri Valley are nothing but a bunch of quitters. Instead of finding a way like MLB, NFL, and the other conferences, they gave into the COVID hysteria.

The virus is spread mainly respiratory; much can be done to mitigate that risk. Contact spread, which is the big worry in football, is minimal. Yes, guys are going to get the virus, but no, entire teams will not get it. Yes, some will have to quarantine; young guys will play. You will never quarantine an entire team. This key is to mitigate how many get it at a time, and have a way for high risk players to opt out and not lose eligibility. Do folks think the SEC, Big 12, and ACC also don't have medical experts? The difference is accepting some transmission is going to happen versus trying to prevent all transmission. That is the disconnect, politically, as well. Try to prevent widespread outbreaks, and isolate those that get it and the closest contacts.

Big 10, PAC 12, and the Missouri Valley are nothing but a bunch of quitters. Instead of finding a way like MLB, NFL, and the other conferences, they gave into the COVID hysteria.
    Ummm, St. Louis Cardinals.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Ummm, just about everyone is playing.

Ummm, just about everyone is playing.
    The team didn’t play for 2 weeks and something like 40% of their 25 man roster roster is still out.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

The team didn’t play for 2 weeks and something like 40% of their 25 man roster roster is still out.
    Yep, I guess they are the only team in MLB...... Come on; its like all of you want sports to fail rather than finding a way to make it work. MLB is doing that; others can too.

Yup. One of the worst things of this whole ordeal is the fear and hysteria that has been drummed up by the media.
    Our response to the virus is as about as good as it could have been, unfortunately we lost the media 'war".

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Give it a rest Audit. A bunch of the Marlins broke protocals and had a night out on the town while in Atlanta. Supposedly that night out included a trip to the strippers. What did they think was going to happen? Despite their idiocy, to date there have been zero complications or hospital stays reported from that group or from those they infected. Crawl back in your hole and stay there until there is a vaccine and leave the rest of us alone.

Quote Originally Posted by wisco4 View Post
    Yup. One of the worst things of this whole ordeal is the fear and hysteria that has been drummed up by the media.
    Our response to the virus is as about as good as it could have been, unfortunately we lost the media 'war".
    I feel much better after hearing today that in Sioux Falls, only about 13% of public school kids opted for online learning. Some of those kids are clearly "legit" that should stay home, so that really shows the hysteria is confined here, thankfully. My son is having football practice every day, yet colleges can't pull this off......

Who played the twins day before they tested positive granted wasn't a lot of close contact but far as I know no twin got infected? So if they separate in team meetings and locker rooms etc you can contain it somewhat. Think St Louis had an issue where they got everyone back together again a couple days too soon and they had a second wave??

And nobody from St Louis got hospitalized??

Test contact trace what you can and move on with life wear a mask if owner of property your on b requested to and do whatever you feel is best everywhere else.

People die and it's tragic but people die every day and I'm sure every day there is a tragedy in one form or another.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.