Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Football could start this Fall

Default Re: How Football could start this Fall

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    In colorado, you still cannot go to a hospital and get a test unless you are considered high risk, or part if a community outbreak. If you ste neither and test negative for the flu, the Dr basically tells you he is sure you have it, and to go home and quarantined. If you become sick enough to be hospitalized, then they will give you a test.

Testing around the country is a joke due to not enough tests. Apparently were saving those tests to use on 99% people who will test negative so they can play a game.
    Looks like Colorado is taking the approach to prioritize testing for vulnerable populations and those working with vulnerable populations: https://covid19.colorado.gov/covid-1...g-for-covid-19

They claim that "Whether or not you are diagnosed with COVID-19, if you don’t need to be hospitalized, your treatment will be the same, no matter the test result. " I guess that means anyone at all with a fever or cough has to quarantine for at least 14 day whether they test positive or not. I guess if that's how they want to do it that's up to the Colorado Department of Health but I've seen articles from Florida, Illinois, and Texas talking about how decreased demand is shutting down test sites in those states along with the St Paul Pioneer Press article last week that said Minnesota had the capacity for 10k tests per day but only had demand for about 4k.

I don't think the Colorado approach is necessarily wrong unless they're letting test kits collect dust. If they have excess tests I hope they're using them to test nursing home residents and essential workers or just identifying some population samples to test in order to try to gauge the number of current asymptomatic carriers out there. I would agree that earmarking tests for professional athletes at the expense of the causes listed above is not the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    I just don’t see how this is going to work. Tailgating? Attending games?

I just don’t see that happening unfortunately.

The NFL will try to play games. Much easier to test 32 teams and staff. NCAA has way too many players and teams. Plus who would pay for it. Not cheap to test daily. There’s also the issue of getting tests. Raw materials used to manufacture them have major shortages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure the colleges need to test, college students are unlikely to get anything worse than mild symptoms and are much more likely to be asymptomatic. The coaching staff and trainers though would have risks that would need to be adressed but they wouldn't be all that different than other positions at the school if it was open. If schools are open let them play, that said fans in the stands is a whole different ballgame. College football might not be viable economically without fans.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 05-12-2020 at 06:24 PM.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I am not sure the colleges need to test, college students are unlikely to get anything worse than mild symptoms and are much more likely to be asymptomatic. The coaching staff and trainers though would have risks that would need to be adressed but they wouldn't be all that different than other positions at the school if it was open. If schools are open let them play, that said fans in the stands is a whole different ballgame. College football might not be viable economically without fans.
    The risk though is players could be carrying and pass the virus on to another player or coach or official who then goes home and passes it on to their family. The whole point of this hasn't been who contracts it but who they could pass it on to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am not sure the colleges need to test, college students are unlikely to get anything worse than mild symptoms and are much more likely to be asymptomatic. The coaching staff and trainers though would have risks that would need to be adressed but they wouldn't be all that different than other positions at the school if it was open. If schools are open let them play, that said fans in the stands is a whole different ballgame. College sports are not viable economically without fans.
    Corrected it for you
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The risk though is players could be carrying and pass the virus on to another player or coach or official who then goes home and passes it on to their family. The whole point of this hasn't been who contracts it but who they could pass it on to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    If the school is open how is that different than any other employee? Officials and even coaches could wear N95 masks.

That said, there is still the fan issue and there isn't much that can be done on that front.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 05-13-2020 at 02:20 AM.

I think the NFL and college are delayed until winter and spring shit next year is nixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    I think the NFL and college are delayed until winter and spring shit next year is nixed.
    College seems like for sure based on what schools on the west coast are doing. One DII conference has already announced that fall sports are done. The whole Cal State system is shutting down. NFL though doesn't need fans.

Default How Football could start this Fall

College seems like for sure based on what schools on the west coast are doing. One DII conference has already announced that fall sports are done. The whole Cal State system is shutting down. NFL though doesn't need fans.
    I agree, I’d give it .1% shot college is on time this fall. But they have to give it a go or too many departments would be in serious danger.

I do think the world will be much more suited For a season in August than now and also winter vs August. Hopefully we get a good idea with European soccer leagues and Korean baseball on how it goes

I agree, I’d give it .1% shot college is on time this fall. But they have to give it a go or too many departments would be in serious danger.

I do think the world will be much more suited For a season in August than now and also winter vs August. Hopefully we get a good idea with European soccer leagues and Korean baseball on how it goes
    Yeah, I don't get the winter idea when things could be just like they are now. Only thing that could change things is a vaccine and by January or Febuary that is a hail mary.

need to remember that these are students. there needs to be in-person instruction/residency to continue the ncaa's charade.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."