Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How Football could start this Fall

Default Re: How Football could start this Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Why? Because 1 out 1000+ infected people in that age demographic die?
    Because if you’re 300 lbs in that age demo, maybe the fatality rate is far higher than 0.1%.

Right now the fatality rate among professional sumo wrestlers is 16%. That’s from a very small sample so I wouldn’t expect that rate to hold but there’s mounting evidence from all over the world that high BMI is a significant risk factor for everyone under age 60.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 05-14-2020 at 05:15 AM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Wow, so... legit inside information, then?
    100% legit.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Bison Illustrated Podcast: NDSU returns loaded offense around Lance, Covid-19 will reshape NCAA

https://soundcloud.com/bison-illustr...e-around-lance

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Because if you’re 300 lbs in that age demo, maybe the fatality rate is far higher than 0.1%.

Right now the fatality rate among professional sumo wrestlers is 16%. That’s from a very small sample so I wouldn’t expect that rate to hold but there’s mounting evidence from all over the world that high BMI is a significant risk factor for everyone under age 60.
    Right, and there's a much larger sample size available from data on the CDC's site: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm

In the 0-24 age group there have been 14 COVID deaths (out of 68 total) in the US with obesity as a comorbidity. For the 25-34 age group there have been 64 deaths with obesity as a comorbidity (out of 354 total). Unfortunately they don't have any case numbers on that page only death numbers but they do have total deaths in those age groups and in that time range (2/1-5/9) there have been 13,765 deaths reported so far in the 0-24 age group and 15,975 deaths reported so far in the 25-34 age group. So COVID deaths with an obesity comorbidity account for 0.1% of all deaths in the 0-24 age group and 0.4% of all deaths in the 25-34 age group. My point is there are other health concerns for people that are that age whether they're obese or not that are greater than COVID yet college football has always gone on before even with those health concerns. It's just not healthy to be fat when it comes to COVID or most anything else.

Beyond that I'd assume that these CDC numbers are only counting morbidly obese, which is a BMI north of 40, in that comorbidity table because only 2.6% of COVID deaths in the CDC's data set have obesity as a comorbidity and over 30% of Americans are considered to be obese. I don't know if there are many college O-lineman even that are chubby enough to be considered morbidly obese but maybe there is.

Right, and there's a much larger sample size available from data on the CDC's site: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm

In the 0-24 age group there have been 14 COVID deaths (out of 68 total) in the US with obesity as a comorbidity. For the 25-34 age group there have been 64 deaths with obesity as a comorbidity (out of 354 total). Unfortunately they don't have any case numbers on that page only death numbers but they do have total deaths in those age groups and in that time range (2/1-5/9) there have been 13,765 deaths reported so far in the 0-24 age group and 15,975 deaths reported so far in the 25-34 age group. So COVID deaths with an obesity comorbidity account for 0.1% of all deaths in the 0-24 age group and 0.4% of all deaths in the 25-34 age group. My point is there are other health concerns for people that are that age whether they're obese or not that are greater than COVID yet college football has always gone on before even with those health concerns. It's just not healthy to be fat when it comes to COVID or most anything else.

Beyond that I'd assume that these CDC numbers are only counting morbidly obese, which is a BMI north of 40, in that comorbidity table because only 2.6% of COVID deaths in the CDC's data set have obesity as a comorbidity and over 30% of Americans are considered to be obese. I don't know if there are many college O-lineman even that are chubby enough to be considered morbidly obese but maybe there is.
    I was looking at this chart the other week. Maybe even posted it here. Just amazes me how much death occurs in the country. The elderly, which is getting hit the hardest by covid, covid makes up about a fifth of their deaths since 2/1.

6'3", 320 lbs has a BMI of 40, and 6'4", 330 lbs has a BMI of 40.2. There are probably quite a few dudes that fit that mold across all levels of college football.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    6'3", 320 lbs has a BMI of 40, and 6'4", 330 lbs has a BMI of 40.2. There are probably quite a few dudes that fit that mold across all levels of college football.
    Fair enough. Although athletes, especially football players (except for maybe Jacksonville St's o-line), are going to much different from those BMI trends than normal people due to more muscle mass. For instance Dillon Radunz, going by height and weight, would be considered obese with a BMI of 35.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

O linemen are still within the range of health. Their conditioning means they have very strong respiratory systems (likewise, except for Jax State's O line).

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I still think the biggest obstacle over the return of sports will be lawsuits. Based on statistics, multiple athletes will die from this. One can say it’s their choice to participate but when families are winning multi million dollar lawsuits when they lose a child during a “voluntary” offseason workout, I can’t imagine it will be different knowing the risks with this. I don’t agree with it but it’s the culture we have created.

Fair enough. Although athletes, especially football players (except for maybe Jacksonville St's o-line), are going to much different from those BMI trends than normal people due to more muscle mass. For instance Dillon Radunz, going by height and weight, would be considered obese with a BMI of 35.
    I agree with this. I think a blanket BMI calculator, like I used, is crap. An actual caliper measurement of body fat or a water displacement measurement is way more accurate. I hated the way the Army/Air Force would use the BMI calculator. I was out of whack according to their standards, and considered obese by the stupid BMI measurement, but could score a 270-280 on the Army PT test or a 90%+ on the Air Force PT test.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.