NDSU Keys
    Make them defend everything.
    Go as Lance goes
    Field position game, but aggressive on 4th
    Defensive adjustments after 1st two drives
    Find ways to make Duck QB make quick decisions

Oregon Keys
    Lance is focal point of defense
    Must take away 2 of 3 (Run game, pass game, Lance run game)
    Move KT around
    Get play makers in space
    Quick start and dont let them hang around
    Stop/slow down Lance, you win

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    That would be great. Tucker got better as the season progressed. The other guy I’m hopeful for is Cook. He was everywhere in one of the early games before he got hurt
    I think it was the Delaware game where Tucker played really well.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    More wishful than thinking 4 brand new starters on Oreegun's O line will stand up in their first start?
    The offensive line will have Jones who was with the first unit for UCLA in 2018 and started the subsequent game as a true frosh. Then he was injured. Jones was graded the highest of any player on the field regardless of position vs UCLA by PFF. He was able to redshirt last season.

Oregon has journeymen players in Poutasi and Forsyth that ran with the ones in spring. They also have two blue chip players that participated last year in Aumavae-Laulu and Tauanu’u that will be day one ready.

More coaching resources are devoted to OLine than any other. It’s a concern but a lot of optimism.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonduck View Post
    The offensive line will have Jones who was with the first unit for UCLA in 2018 and started the subsequent game as a true frosh. Then he was injured. Jones was graded the highest of any player on the field regardless of position vs UCLA by PFF. He was able to redshirt last season.

Oregon has journeymen players in Poutasi and Forsyth that ran with the ones in spring. They also have two blue chip players that participated last year in Aumavae-Laulu and Tauanu’u that will be day one ready.

More coaching resources are devoted to OLine than any other. It’s a concern but a lot of optimism.
    With a coach that played his ball on the OLine and then has coached the OLine, it is clearly a focus of the program. The players are more happy to get ugly and play tough than they ever have been in the past. Our guys play with a tremendous amount of grit and purpose. It isn't a new phenomenon in Fargo, which is responsible for decades of success and tradition.

What is interesting in this game is that the strong units for each team will be on the field at the same time - NDSU Off v UofO Def - and the opposite is also true. I feel like the game will be won or lost during the time when the Ducks have the ball. I'm really worried about our defense this year and this game is a helluva test right out of the gate.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    With a coach that played his ball on the OLine and then has coached the OLine, it is clearly a focus of the program. The players are more happy to get ugly and play tough than they ever have been in the past. Our guys play with a tremendous amount of grit and purpose. It isn't a new phenomenon in Fargo, which is responsible for decades of success and tradition.

What is interesting in this game is that the strong units for each team will be on the field at the same time - NDSU Off v UofO Def - and the opposite is also true. I feel like the game will be won or lost during the time when the Ducks have the ball. I'm really worried about our defense this year and this game is a helluva test right out of the gate.
    I think both offenses have size and talent. NDSU is a lot smaller on defense. Their listed weights are small and a guy like Waege doesn’t look even 270 to me. NDSU does rotate a lot. It will be interesting if they are comfortable going as deep against Oregon. I just see Oregon being able to assert themselves after they get in a rhythm.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think both offenses have size and talent. NDSU is a lot smaller on defense. Their listed weights are small and a guy like Waege doesn’t look even 270 to me. NDSU does rotate a lot. It will be interesting if they are comfortable going as deep against Oregon. I just see Oregon being able to assert themselves after they get in a rhythm.
    At the FCS level, we're always pretty dang fast on defense, which has really been a part of our success. With the loss of Jabrill, this particular addition is not as fast. That being said, we still have good speed all around. If Waege was bigger, he would've been snagged up by someone else in our regional FBS pool. He'll certainly hold his own, don't worry.

My biggest concern is at MIKE. Since I'm usually just watching our games on TV rather than in person, I text a hundred times to friends of mine while watching. I got so frustrated with our MLB last year that by the middle of the season, my predictive text would offer "Hankey" after every time I wrote the word "fucking". Interestingly, it seemed like he really, really improved as the season kept rolling. I'm still worried about his speed and agility, though. I'm hoping our DT's have great improvement this year as well. If we can shore these areas up, this may be the best FCS team of all time.
    Insert something clever here...

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    At the FCS level, we're always pretty dang fast on defense, which has really been a part of our success. With the loss of Jabrill, this particular addition is not as fast. That being said, we still have good speed all around. If Waege was bigger, he would've been snagged up by someone else in our regional FBS pool. He'll certainly hold his own, don't worry.

My biggest concern is at MIKE. Since I'm usually just watching our games on TV rather than in person, I text a hundred times to friends of mine while watching. I got so frustrated with our MLB last year that by the middle of the season, my predictive text would offer "Hankey" after every time I wrote the word "fucking". Interestingly, it seemed like he really, really improved as the season kept rolling. I'm still worried about his speed and agility, though. I'm hoping our DT's have great improvement this year as well. If we can shore these areas up, this may be the best FCS team of all time.
    Neither returning LB are big time playmakers. Hankey runs like a grandma and though I’d love to see a more athletic mlb, if he truly is our best at the position than play him. Jack Del Rio was a very solid mlb for the Vikes in the 90’s and he was slower than molasses so it can work.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Size doesn’t mean as much to me as it use to. Every o-line we play is bigger than our d-line. Just not sure we have the strength, quickness and explosiveness...we’ll find out on you guys

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Size doesn’t mean as much to me as it use to. Every o-line we play is bigger than our d-line. Just not sure we have the strength, quickness and explosiveness...we’ll find out on you guys
    I agree with you to an extent. Most teams have a couple 300+ DL. NDSU is giving up a lot.

Oregon is also gigantic on the OL. They’re just really large human beings. They’re light at 320.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree with you to an extent. Most teams have a couple 300+ DL. NDSU is giving up a lot.

Oregon is also gigantic on the OL. They’re just really large human beings. They’re light at 320.
    You can watch last year SDSU vs Minnesota game. MN size was really negated by SDSU scheme, movement and quickness. Gophers were pretty big too and didn't look real great in that game