Page 125 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1384

Thread: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Default Re: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Let me be Johnny Raincloud for a minute. Saw a story yesterday that Cameron Ward (WA State QB, formerly known as the Incarnate Word QB) already has over ten, One Million Dollar NIL offers to transfer. HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE PORTAL. As currently constituted, NIL is nothing more than legalized tampering, which puts all of our guys at risk for poaching. It happened with Grant Nelson, and it will happen again. In my mind, a guy like Cole has huge upside, has learned under coaching that has produced NFL QBs and just needs an opportunity. If that opportunity comes with some cash, it would be hard to blame him for taking it. Every team in B1G West is looking for a competent QB. So...I hope we see increased utilization of CP during the playoffs because I think it's going to be increasingly difficult to keep him around in the current environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Let me be Johnny Raincloud for a minute. Saw a story yesterday that Cameron Ward (WA State QB, formerly known as the Incarnate Word QB) already has over ten, One Million Dollar NIL offers to transfer. HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE PORTAL. As currently constituted, NIL is nothing more than legalized tampering, which puts all of our guys at risk for poaching. It happened with Grant Nelson, and it will happen again. In my mind, a guy like Cole has huge upside, has learned under coaching that has produced NFL QBs and just needs an opportunity. If that opportunity comes with some cash, it would be hard to blame him for taking it. Every team in B1G West is looking for a competent QB. So...I hope we see increased utilization of CP during the playoffs because I think it's going to be increasingly difficult to keep him around in the current environment.
    Double edge sword. More playing time = more tape to entice portal poachers... In the end, nothing would stop transfers anyway in the current environment. NDSU needs to move up the food chain. It will never fully escape the effects of those higher up still taking what they want, but we are too far down the food chain currently.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Double edge sword. More playing time = more tape to entice portal poachers... In the end, nothing would stop transfers anyway in the current environment. NDSU needs to move up the food chain. It will never fully escape the effects of those higher up still taking what they want, but we are too far down the food chain currently.
    I agree. We gotta coach to whatever gives us the best opportunity to win the game, not to give a single player a warm fuzzy feeling.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    College football will begin to lose fans at a steady rate if this continues besides a select big few. This is a complete disaster. NDSU BB will most likely have less fans this year due to Grant Nelson leaving than if he stayed. Moving up a level in football does not help this situation very much if at all. The Big boys will steal whoever they want whether we are G5 or FCS. I want us to move up cause I don't want to watch FCS football anymore, but if we lose our good third and fourth year players no one is going to attend.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    I agree. We gotta coach to whatever gives us the best opportunity to win the game, not to give a single player a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Agreed. Portal considerations can't be part of game planning. Chasing ghosts if you think you'd accomplish anything with that.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

well, with only 28 passes in 3 years unless a team is looking for a running back, he doesn't show much in the Arm department

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    well, with only 28 passes in 3 years unless a team is looking for a running back, he doesn't show much in the Arm department
    LOL, what a small number spread over that length of time. Coaches don't let him pass because he only gets back to back downs at the end of blowouts, and our meathead coaches are playing "be nice" don't score which is ridiculous! I believe the one time Cole played more in a game he was 3 for 3 passing. That shows something. I don't believe for a minute that he can't throw consistently well (if given the reigns for most of, or an entire game). Look at his High School passing stats! It's a joke some here think Cole's passing sucks with so few data points. I watched him pass in practice a couple years ago and in my opinion he had the best arm strength of all the QB's. Doubt he got weaker since then. Cam just happened to be a year older and got the nod to start and won a natty on the back of Luepke's running. I get it, coach is not going to displace Cam, but at the same time don't make judgements about how good Cole is based on no games started and so few passing attempts.
    Last edited by SDbison; 11-29-2023 at 05:36 PM.

The passes Cole has made this year have all passed the eye test. His motion looks much better as well.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The passes Cole has made this year have all passed the eye test. His motion looks much better as well.
    While I agree his passes have been much better this year, his motion still looks slow and goofy to my untrained eye. Maybe I'm just lefty hating... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    While I agree his passes have been much better this year, his motion still looks slow and goofy to my untrained eye. Maybe I'm just lefty hating... Lol
    I agree. A left handed motion is only going to look so good regardless. But at least he's not doing the Tim Tebow "start your windup at your hip" thing anymore.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes