Page 88 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Default Re: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Mildly harsh. Accurate? Dunno
    I dont think its harsh. He chalked up a ton of those yards after injuries started piling up. Luepke made his last carry vs Southen Illinois. Then TMac got dinged. Them Gonella transfered. Cole spraned his ankle. He ran because we ran out of bodies, which inflated his stats. But the offense wasnt nearly as good. We also started running way too much read option when Luepke was injured and went away from the i formation. I actually give Cam a ton of credit because he's not a dynamic runner but he worked his ass off and helped us win games with his legs. His effort was awesome. 67 carries over 5 games is a load for him and I think it took a toll on his body. He's not a huge guy. Without his running we wouldnt have gone as far as we did
    Last edited by HerdBot; 01-17-2023 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Looked up Cams stats last 5 weeks

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I dont think its harsh. He chalked up a ton of those yards after injuries started piling up. Luepke made his last carry vs Southen Illinois. Then TMac got dinged. Them Gonella transfered. Cole spraned his ankle. He ran because we ran out of bodies, which inflated his stats. But the offense wasnt nearly as good. We also started running way too much read option when Luepke was injured and went away from the i formation. I actually give Cam a ton of credit because he's not a dynamic runner but he worked his ass off and helped us win games with his legs. His effort was awesome. 67 carries over 5 games is a load for him and I think it took a toll on his body. He's not a huge guy. Without his running we wouldnt have gone as far as we did
    Yup, agree

It worked when A-gap power was effective.
    Pre game Stig stated his def plan was to bounce a-gap power wide, and control qb run.
    Essentially saying he was putting Ndsu offence on cam's arm, receiver crew and Oc scheme passing game.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

67 carries by the QB in last five games
    68 carries by Lance in his last five games finishing with 30 against James Madison

So without QB runs our offense is fairly terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    68 carries by Lance in his last five games finishing with 30 against James Madison

And predictable.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    And predictable.
    It might work with an elite runner like Trey Lance. The guy was a deer in football pads and could run 21.5 mph. We will never see a QB that fast again ever.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...-run-story?amp

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For me the offensive coordinator did not help at times just like in 2012 with Junior Brock which drives a lot of us nuts. One difference between Brock and Cam is that in a big game Brock showed up. Here is the comparisons of the two.

2012 Brock 61% 2,331 yards 17tds and 8 int. and 357 net rushing yards
    2022 Cam 66% 1,975 yards 13tds and 5 int. And 561 net rushing yards.

Very similar stats when u add it all up. I will say though at one point in Brock’s junior year I wondered if we should switch to Wentz. But the difference than to now is that all u heard in the background was how amazing Wentz was from everybody associated with the team and you don’t quite here that same thing yet about Cole or at least I haven’t. We do need more than 13 passing tds though going forward.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It might work with an elite runner like Trey Lance. The guy was a deer in football pads and could run 21.5 mph. We will never see a QB that fast again ever.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...-run-story?amp
    I mean come on we could not design some better plays in that championship game. That game was frustrating as we did have good wide receivers including one that was basically an second round talent. That game was concerning for the future of our play calling and it still is.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I mean come on we could not design some better plays in that championship game. That game was frustrating as we did have good wide receivers including one that was basically an second round talent. That game was concerning for the future of our play calling and it still is.
    And way over half of TL’s rushing yards we’re off of scrambles because WRs couldn’t get open.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    How do you know this about his leadership? Do you have some inside knowledge? I'm mostly neutral but a little bit with @OrygunBison mostly for the reason you give here: sample size. I just have not seen enough (for me) of Cole to determine whether he is a better all around player at the position or not. I surely believe he is a superior runner, that much I think I have seen. But passing, reading defense, optioning, etc. I guess I don't know and for this whole year I have been giving the benefit of the doubt to those who see practices every day.

Problem is (for me), after that showing down in Frisco I'm harboring more doubts than confidence in those folks. To be clear I'm not in any way hanging that loss on Cam. I think there is plenty of attribution to go around on the Bison side and plenty of kudos to go around on the Bunny side.
    Yes, I do. His leadership is impressive. He came in as a leader and the team rallies around him.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

That Cole is still on the roster is impressive in this day and age. Not as impressive as his calves though.