Page 7 of 139 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Default Re: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    My only concern about Cole is the fact he is a lefty. Little details can really change up an offense. Things are sometimes reversed. Your RT is now the blindside. Your handoffs are slightly different. Your rollouts can go to the opposite direction.

Of course you have guys like Steve Young and Michael Vick were lefties
    Valid points. I would/will be more concerned if there’s a change in-season (injury). When they have all spring and fall camps then I really won’t worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    My only concern about Cole is the fact he is a lefty. Little details can really change up an offense. Things are sometimes reversed. Your RT is now the blindside. Your handoffs are slightly different. Your rollouts can go to the opposite direction.

Of course you have guys like Steve Young and Michael Vick were lefties
    It can be tough on the defenses too. Usually defenses like to make QBs scramble in the direction of their off arm since it's tougher for them to throw accurately going in that direction so they'd have to adapt to a lefty. They also may have to switch their DEs if they match up their stronger pass rushing DE with the weaker pass blocking OT (would be a LDE vs RT with a righty QB or RDE vs LT with a lefty QB). I don't think it's a big deal but I've even heard that it's a bit different catching the ball from a lefty QB since the ball spins clockwise coming at you instead of counterclockwise like a righty's throw would... something that might negate a potential INT for a defender that isn't used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It can be tough on the defenses too. Usually defenses like to make QBs scramble in the direction of their off arm since it's tougher for them to throw accurately going in that direction so they'd have to adapt to a lefty. They also may have to switch their DEs if they match up their stronger pass rushing DE with the weaker pass blocking OT (would be a LDE vs RT with a righty QB or RDE vs LT with a lefty QB). I don't think it's a big deal but I've even heard that it's a bit different catching the ball from a lefty QB since the ball spins clockwise coming at you instead of counterclockwise like a righty's throw would... something that might negate a potential INT for a defender that isn't used to it.
    Exactly. Saw a highlight this weekend where a QB (Tua T.) was rolling out and suddenly made a pass that a right-hander couldn't make. It seemed to surprise an NFL defense.

But, really, I suspect that Cole Payton has only been playing left-handed because he was bored beating teams by 30 points every game. I suspect that he's going to pull a Princess Bride deal in a game.

Has anyone ever watched an ambidextrous qb? ……...never heard of one...….. Wouldn't that be a hoot !! I've umpired baseball where a player played outfield right handed and pitched left handed. In this wide world of football, there has to be at least one.....

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Has anyone ever watched an ambidextrous qb? ……...never heard of one...….. Wouldn't that be a hoot !! I've umpired baseball where a player played outfield right handed and pitched left handed. In this wide world of football, there has to be at least one.....
    Back a long time ago I had a pitcher who was ambidextrous. That was kind of fun. He just had to declare before each batter which side he was going to throw from. Baseball there can be an advantage to doing that. Football I don't know how much of an advantage there would be. The ball is going to be different to catch from each side so it would be tough on the receivers. It would be tough for his line also. So I would think in football the coach would make the QB choose and then stay with it as I can only see disadvantages for the team by letting the QB stay ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Exactly. Saw a highlight this weekend where a QB (Tua T.) was rolling out and suddenly made a pass that a right-hander couldn't make. It seemed to surprise an NFL defense.

But, really, I suspect that Cole Payton has only been playing left-handed because he was bored beating teams by 30 points every game. I suspect that he's going to pull a Princess Bride deal in a game.
    Thanks for adding the "T." to that name, I don't think I would have known who you were referring to without it...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Mahomes has made a couple "ugly" left handed throws hasn't he? Guess wouldn't call him ambidextrous being they were pretty ugly looking throws if I remember right?

Didn't Carson throw a few warm up throws left handed back when he had the broken wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Our offense is already tough to prepare for by college standards. Throw in a left handed QB and good luck prepping in the playoffs with 6 days notice

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

https://twitter.com/BisonReport/stat...41252493561859

^ BisonReport interview with Cole Payton.

Mild spoiler: Saturday after Cole's championship game, a P5 head coach got in contact with Cole's HS coach trying to set up a call. Which coach may surprise you!

It's a short interview and I'll clickbait you further if you do not listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    https://twitter.com/BisonReport/stat...41252493561859

^ BisonReport interview with Cole Payton.

Mild spoiler: Saturday after Cole's championship game, a P5 head coach got in contact with Cole's HS coach trying to set up a call. Which coach may surprise you!

It's a short interview and I'll clickbait you further if you do not listen to it.
    I'll guess a coach for a team who's last three quarterbacks DIDN'T get drafted into the NFL.