Page 89 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Default Re: 2021 Verbal: Cole Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I mean come on we could not design some better plays in that championship game. That game was frustrating as we did have good wide receivers including one that was basically an second round talent. That game was concerning for the future of our play calling and it still is.
    Watson, Ellefson , Babich, and Gindorf were pretty good protected by an oline with 3 future NFL guys in Radunz, Volson and Zach Johnson. What is that 8 future NFL players if you include Trey, who hadnt thrown a pick all season. Oh and Luepke was starting to carve out a role, so thats 9 future NFL guys... just on offense.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Watson, Ellefson , Babich, and Gindorf were pretty good protected by an oline with 3 future NFL guys in Radunz, Volson and Zach Johnson. What is that 8 future NFL players if you include Trey, who hadnt thrown a pick all season. Oh and Luepke was starting to carve out a role, so thats 9 future NFL guys... just on offense.
    Ya think about good that team was and like u said you can’t trust Trey more than that? Plus we had good backs as well. I will say I thought JMU was really good that year.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Ya think about good that team was and like u said you can’t trust Trey more than that? Plus we had good backs as well. I will say I thought JMU was really good that year.
    NDSU's offenses have been as conservative as you can get away with. With Trey that meant overly heavy QB run game for the championship to eliminate possibility of explosive defensive plays by JMU. Get the ball in the most explosive player meant Trey that year, Hunter last year, this year... no obvious choice I can see.

Sometimes being overly conservative comes back to bite NDSU, but over the past 10 years its has more often been a recipe for success.

Little known medical fact... leadership capabilities are stored in the calf muscles.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Little known medical fact... leadership capabilities are stored in the calf muscles.
    I have also heard that this is also the seat of the soul.

NDSU's offenses have been as conservative as you can get away with. With Trey that meant overly heavy QB run game for the championship to eliminate possibility of explosive defensive plays by JMU. Get the ball in the most explosive player meant Trey that year, Hunter last year, this year... no obvious choice I can see.

Sometimes being overly conservative comes back to bite NDSU, but over the past 10 years its has more often been a recipe for success.
    It was Hunter this year also but …
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    It was Hunter this year also but …
    In the chipper I was thinking specifically... Unfortunately no hunter there.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For me the offensive coordinator did not help at times just like in 2012 with Junior Brock which drives a lot of us nuts. One difference between Brock and Cam is that in a big game Brock showed up. Here is the comparisons of the two.

2012 Brock 61% 2,331 yards 17tds and 8 int. and 357 net rushing yards
    2022 Cam 66% 1,975 yards 13tds and 5 int. And 561 net rushing yards.

Very similar stats when u add it all up. I will say though at one point in Brock’s junior year I wondered if we should switch to Wentz. But the difference than to now is that all u heard in the background was how amazing Wentz was from everybody associated with the team and you don’t quite here that same thing yet about Cole or at least I haven’t. We do need more than 13 passing tds though going forward.
    The offense wasn't a major issue this year. This defense didn't perform as well as those defenses. 21 points would have been enough to win 7 of the previous 9 championships. And the other 2 were only 24 and 27. Hopefully the Bison can improve next year on the defensive side. This is not a team that can win shootouts on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

In the chipper I was thinking specifically... Unfortunately no hunter there.
    Yep, for some reason I read right past the phrase “the championship”. My ellipsis dots were meant to imply he was missing from that game. So we were on the same band at different frequencies I guess.

I wonder how much a healthy Hunter might have impacted that outcome.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Yep, for some reason I read right past the phrase “the championship”. My ellipsis dots were meant to imply he was missing from that game. So we were on the same band at different frequencies I guess.

I wonder how much a healthy Hunter might have impacted that outcome.
    Not much, He was not on the line or played defense.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.