Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universities in Jeopardy

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Universities in Jeopardy

I have a friend who works in higher ed. Before this all happened there were conversations about schools in jeopardy of closing and a standard threshold was university endowment size. The size they used was $25m. Now that the shut down has happened that number could creep up. I know it applies to small private schools, but it could impact small state schools.

I decided to look up the ND schools to see there endowments.

UND $278m
    NDSU $227M
    U of Mary $50m
    U of Jamestown $36m
    Minot State $28m
    Dickinson State $9m
    Valley City State $7m
    Mayville State $4m

I also looked at the Moorhead schools and the UofM.
    Minnesota $4 billion
    Concordia $42m
    Moorhead State $24m

The small state schools are less likely in danger because they are probably underwritten more by the larger schools and the state (relatively speaking). The private schools are probably OK based on that threshold but would probably feel better if the endowment was bigger.

I decided to check out local private schools. These are the D3 and NAIA schools where I officiate. I was surprised how high they were. DePauw only has 2100 students and their endowment is bigger than UND and NDSU combined!

DePauw $731m
    Earlham $429m
    Wabash $344m
    Indiana Wesleyan $191m
    Rose-Hulman $185m
    Hanover $150m
    Manchester $120m
    Franklin $86m
    Taylor $61m
    St. Francis $34m
    Anderson $28m

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Default Re: Universities in Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I have a friend who works in higher ed. Before this all happened there were conversations about schools in jeopardy of closing and a standard threshold was university endowment size. The size they used was $25m. Now that the shut down has happened that number could creep up. I know it applies to small private schools, but it could impact small state schools.

UND $278m
    NDSU $227M
    U of Mary $50m
    U of Jamestown $36m
    Minot State $28m
    Dickinson State $9m
    Valley City State $7m
    Mayville State $4m

Minnesota $4 billion
    Concordia $42m
    Moorhead State $24m

The small state schools are less likely in danger because they are probably underwritten more by the larger schools and the state (relatively speaking). The private schools are probably OK based on that threshold but would probably feel better if the endowment was bigger.

I decided to check out local private schools. These are the D3 and NAIA schools where I officiate. I was surprised how high they were. DePauw only has 2100 students and their endowment is bigger than UND and NDSU combined!

DePauw $731m
    Earlham $429m
    Wabash $344m
    Indiana Wesleyan $191m
    Rose-Hulman $185m
    Hanover $150m
    Manchester $120m
    Franklin $86m
    Taylor $61m
    St. Francis $34m
    Anderson $28m

gonna be tough for these.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

UND $278m
    NDSU $227M
    U of Mary $50m
    U of Jamestown $36m
    Minot State $28m
    Dickinson State $9m
    Valley City State $7m
    Mayville State $4m

Minnesota $4 billion
    Concordia $42m
    Moorhead State $24m

DePauw $731m
    Earlham $429m
    Wabash $344m
    Indiana Wesleyan $191m
    Rose-Hulman $185m
    Hanover $150m
    Manchester $120m
    Franklin $86m
    Taylor $61m
    St. Francis $34m
    Anderson $28m
    Are the private school endowments more aggressively invested I wonder? They'll be shrinking rapidly when both the paper value drops and they have to start selling to make up lost revenue. Smart boards of regents will be making hard decisions today and not waiting.

Most of the money in endowments is there for a specific purpose, such as a scholarship fund. The foundations can't just take this money and use for operations of the schools.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    gonna be tough for these.
    The only way those schools you bolded are in trouble is if the good folks of ND change their State Constitution, because that is what it'll take...…..a change in the ND State Constitution. Tlhey're safe

Edit: Sorry, Chap......post was meant for Indy..

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    The only way those schools you bolded are in trouble is if the good folks of ND change their State Constitution, because that is what it'll take...…..a change in the ND State Constitution. Tlhey're safe

well if they are bankrupt, thatll solve that issue
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

[QUOTE=El_Chapo;1424255]well if they are bankrupt, thatll solve that issue[

State institutions of higher education are "constitutionally mandated" meaning that they are funded, in full or partially, by the state government. If the colleges go broke that means the state is broke or damn near broke ...….not good for anyone. Again, it will take an amendment to the state constitution to close any state mandated schools.

for one. Time to modernize and consolidate the bloated ND University System.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post

I didn't bold them and I stated they are less likely to be at risk since they have different finding models. But I would still be concerned about their really low endowments. It's a sign of very limited alumni support. The private schools I listed are mostly 2k students or less. Wabash is around 900. But they have amazing loyal and supportive alumni for the size of school.

UND $278m
    NDSU $227M
    U of Mary $50m
    U of Jamestown $36m
    Minot State $28m
    Dickinson State $9m
    Valley City State $7m
    Mayville State $4m

Minnesota $4 billion
    Concordia $42m
    Moorhead State $24m

DePauw $731m
    Earlham $429m
    Wabash $344m
    Indiana Wesleyan $191m
    Rose-Hulman $185m
    Hanover $150m
    Manchester $120m
    Franklin $86m
    Taylor $61m
    St. Francis $34m
    Anderson $28m

I had a neighbor that taught at Earlham, they were doing salary freezes a couple years ago. He was looking to jump ship.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯