Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NDSU Rigs

Default Re: NDSU Rigs

Good job on the shade of green and yellow. Easy to not get them right.

Good job on the tailgate also. I like the NDSU letters in the Ford font.

I don't think some people realize how much work you put in the tailgate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would have had to cut the FORD out of the double-walled tailgate and then find someone to press NDSU in a new piece to get the raised letter. Than re-weld that into the hole from the old piece, grind it down flush and paint the whole tailgate green and than paint the raised letter yellow. Not easy to do and make it look as good as you did.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisoneer View Post
    Hey, how long will headers last in a 289 V8 vs. cast iron exhaust manifolds??
    A long time if they are stainless. Less if they are cheap Chinese thin wall mild steel.
    Cast Iron manifolds will damn near last forever.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    A long time if they are stainless. Less if they are cheap Chinese thin wall mild steel.
    Cast Iron manifolds will damn near last forever.
    That's racist Jim......
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

That truck needs duel smoke stacks. Not the weeny ass 4"ers either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    That's racist Jim......
    Probably, but if the shoe fits...

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    That truck needs duel smoke stacks. Not the weeny ass 4"ers either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    The faux roll bar flat out ruins that truck for me. Take it off and I will make you a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    Good job on the shade of green and yellow. Easy to not get them right.

Good job on the tailgate also. I like the NDSU letters in the Ford font.

I don't think some people realize how much work you put in the tailgate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would have had to cut the FORD out of the double-walled tailgate and then find someone to press NDSU in a new piece to get the raised letter. Than re-weld that into the hole from the old piece, grind it down flush and paint the whole tailgate green and than paint the raised letter yellow. Not easy to do and make it look as good as you did.
    But they're not in the Ford font from that era. The real Ford font is more centered and has a lot more negative space in the letters. I'll try to attach a photo of an original part for comparison.

Difficulty-wise, I think it would be difficult to do what they did, but not as much as you think. The letters would be the easiest part. Just have them cut out on a water or laser CNC machine, then weld them onto a flat piece of sheet metal and grind the edges to simulate the pressed original. As for replacing the original, I'd just cut out that rectangle right where the flat section meets the bevel. As far as welding in the new panel, I'd probably tack weld a couple light rods(like the kind used to pull out body dents) so that I could suspend the panel in the hole while doing the welding.

Side note, I wish there were different tail lamp trim pieces available for the 73-79 F-series for when you're not using the optional tailgate trim. They just don't look quite right without the other trim panels, and it's way too difficult to modify the originals(lots of aluminum detail work plus re-chroming).