Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible 5th year for Seniors? NCAA says maybe...

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Possible 5th year for Seniors? NCAA says maybe...

The NCAA just announced that Spring sport athletes will get an additional year of eligibility. They also said they are determining what to do about Winter sport athletes whose seasons weren't complete yet. It would be tremendous to have the boys back one more year. Ward and V will have pro opportunities overseas but that can't look real appealing right now. If we got them back it would be monster for our program.

Default Re: Possible 5th year for Seniors? NCAA says maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    The NCAA just announced that Spring sport athletes will get an additional year of eligibility. They also said they are determining what to do about Winter sport athletes whose seasons weren't complete yet. It would be tremendous to have the boys back one more year. Ward and V will have pro opportunities overseas but that can't look real appealing right now. If we got them back it would be monster for our program.
    It sure would be but most of the league will have their guys back as well. So how do they handle the extra players. Expand rosters? What about scholarships? Spring players should definitely get an extra year. They had little to no season for them.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    It sure would be but most of the league will have their guys back as well. So how do they handle the extra players. Expand rosters? What about scholarships? Spring players should definitely get an extra year. They had little to no season for them.
    All things to work out and probably why they are taking more time. You would also run into students who have graduated. Can they work toward a second bachelor's degree or do they have to take graduate courses? I like the idea they are considering ways to make this happen though.

Why open that can of worms? How do they plan on handling scholarships then? What a shit show!

Saw this idea floated yesterday and more I think about it the more I don't like it (at least for men's and women's basketball). Probably around half of all D1 teams had actually already completed their seasons (not counting CBI and CIT potential teams) so you're basically giving them another full season because the other half of the teams missed 1 to 9 extra games.

I'd say look for any possibility do the winter sport championships up until the timeframe of the spring sport championships and if you can't do it by then it just wasn't meant to be.

For as crummy as I feel for the NDSU men imagine how the USD women must feel? They had a historically good season and were set to be a 5 or 6 seed in the women's tournament if not higher. It might be a long time before they have a team that competitive nationally again.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I can't imagine them doing that for winter sports. Everybody played a full regular season. Most teams were done playing anyway.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Why open that can of worms? How do they plan on handling scholarships then? What a shit show!
    They either allow teams to expand the number of scholarships granted or they could exempt the current seniors from that count. Current non-seniors could be planned for in the future as they recruit. It's also possible they could choose not to extend a scholarship offer for a current senior and there will be plenty who choose not to continue (especially for the non-revenue sports impacted in the Spring - track, tennis, softball and to some extent lacrosse and baseball).

Adding the winter sports does create some complexity. Would it only be for those teams still alive in the tournament? What about teams would could have still been invited to participate in a post-season tournament? What about sports that were not yet completed? What about wrestlers who didn't qualify for the national championship? I'm not sure if the national swim meets had occurred, but the same would apply there.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Saw this idea floated yesterday and more I think about it the more I don't like it (at least for men's and women's basketball). Probably around half of all D1 teams had actually already completed their seasons (not counting CBI and CIT potential teams) so you're basically giving them another full season because the other half of the teams missed 1 to 9 extra games.

I'd say look for any possibility do the winter sport championships up until the timeframe of the spring sport championships and if you can't do it by then it just wasn't meant to be.

For as crummy as I feel for the NDSU men imagine how the USD women must feel? They had a historically good season and were set to be a 5 or 6 seed in the women's tournament if not higher. It might be a long time before they have a team that competitive nationally again.
    I thought of that last night. SDSU made the Sweet 16 round last year. USD could have possibly gone further into the tourney.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

If Ward and Shahid are able to come back. 12 seed! Unfortunately, I dont see it happening.

NCAA should propose a tournament in July for fun and use the players that are able to come back. Better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    If Ward and Shahid are able to come back. 12 seed! Unfortunately, I dont see it happening.

NCAA should propose a tournament in July for fun and use the players that are able to come back. Better than nothing.
    If the nba bound players are missing, just think how interesting the tournament would be
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans