Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible 5th year for Seniors? NCAA says maybe...

Default Re: Possible 5th year for Seniors? NCAA says maybe...

Giving a full year back to winter sports athletes would be absurd.

As I saw someone tweet a few days ago, the NCAA would also probably need to consider giving everyone else on the roster an extra year too. If I'm one of your guys who has spent his career sitting behind Ward or Shahid and I suddenly lose my chance to start as a senior because they're granted a full year (without getting a full year back myself), I would probably be less than thrilled.

You could argue that an attitude like that makes me not a team player, but if I've patiently spent 2-3 years of my career waiting my turn, I'd argue that I've been a pretty solid team player up to that point.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Giving a full year back to winter sports athletes would be absurd.

As I saw someone tweet a few days ago, the NCAA would also probably need to consider giving everyone else on the roster an extra year too. If I'm one of your guys who has spent his career sitting behind Ward or Shahid and I suddenly lose my chance to start as a senior because they're granted a full year (without getting a full year back myself), I would probably be less than thrilled.

You could argue that an attitude like that makes me not a team player, but if I've patiently spent 2-3 years of my career waiting my turn, I'd argue that I've been a pretty solid team player up to that point.
    I don't believe the Spring sport eligibility extension is just for seniors. It's for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Why open that can of worms? How do they plan on handling scholarships then? What a shit show!
    Oh come on. Being a life long North Carolina fan I can't wait to see that entire team play again next year . Oh yeah minus their most talented player going pro.

I'm just speculating, but I am assuming this doesn't include basketball. Basketball is considered a winter sport, and this mandate is for spring sports because it's consistent and across the board.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    I'm just speculating, but I am assuming this doesn't include basketball. Basketball is considered a winter sport, and this mandate is for spring sports because it's consistent and across the board.
    The release said they are considering possible action for winter sports as well. Definitely much more difficult to consider because some were already done, some definitely weren't, and some are unknown. I'm guessing they either won't allow it at all or will allow some kind of appeal process and determine on a case by case basis.

Interesting.. so let me make sure I understand it. Spring sports only right? Baseball, softball, golf, and track and field right?

Would be cool if they did it for Winter Sports impacted by this but its not really fair since most teams didnt make the big dance and the really good teams will be sending players to the NBA

Personally I would rather see June Madness

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I don't believe the Spring sport eligibility extension is just for seniors. It's for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Sure. I was basing my point in the title of this thread. Specifically related to winter sports. Spring sports I suppose makes more sense.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...76366263025664

Jeff Goodman says the NCAA will vote on the extra year for winter sport on Mar 30th