Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Tournament 2020

Default Re: NCAA Tournament 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Really? I mean...the common flu has killed 10k people already this year in the US...kills many more than that every year....I'm actually completely shocked by this
    Apparently it's because the transmission rates and methods are worse than the flu and there's really no known cure/treatment at this time. At present, IF you are infected with covid19 the mortality rate (of known infections) is 10 to 20x that of the flu (using conservative numbers). Many people won't have major symptoms, but that actually makes it scarier. At least when one gets the flu they know they're beyond a "normal sickness" and stay home. With this they potentially could be infecting many without knowingly doing so and thereby putting the public at greater risk.

I get *why* they do it, even though I'm personally not too worried about getting it myself.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm in the "let people make their own choices camp" but I get why the NCAA decided on this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Could be great for NDSU. Players are already accustomed to playing in empty arenas...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    No reason to not send their wrestlers since the fans are already banned.
    Still, it seems like national athletic events are the absolute worst for virus transmission outside of health care centers. You've got people flying in from all across the country; some of which might get exposed to the virus on the way, others that might already be asymptomatic carriers. Those people will all mix over several days in a humid environment with heavy inhalation and exhalation in close proximity to others. Shared locker rooms, yelling and cheering, everyone standing in the personal space of others. And then these people(some of which might be new, asymptomatic carriers) all get into planes to fly home, possibly infecting others on the way and bringing the virus to new communities.

I get that we need to keep living our lives and not freak out(and I'm not), but holding major sporting events as normal feels like storing your ammunition right next to your fireplace. Sure it might be fine, but why risk it when you could just as easily store it somewhere safer.

Think about how different the women's tournament will be!!!
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    No fans will be allowed at ncaa tournament games this year. Wow!! Crazy!
    Living in a city hosting a regional this year and working across the street from the convention center connected to the stadium, this will be a huge financial hit to the local economy. I don't know if anyone can adequately predict the overall impact to the general economy either. It won't be pretty for at least a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    think about how different the women's tournament will be!!!
    lmfao!!!!!!

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Damn!! So instead of being jealous of the people at these games, I can actually be happy that I'm watching from rural ND and the only thing I have to worry about is if these f-ing people quite buying up all the TP?
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Still, it seems like national athletic events are the absolute worst for virus transmission outside of health care centers. You've got people flying in from all across the country; some of which might get exposed to the virus on the way, others that might already be asymptomatic carriers. Those people will all mix over several days in a humid environment with heavy inhalation and exhalation in close proximity to others. Shared locker rooms, yelling and cheering, everyone standing in the personal space of others. And then these people(some of which might be new, asymptomatic carriers) all get into planes to fly home, possibly infecting others on the way and bringing the virus to new communities.

I get that we need to keep living our lives and not freak out(and I'm not), but holding major sporting events as normal feels like storing your ammunition right next to your fireplace. Sure it might be fine, but why risk it when you could just as easily store it somewhere safer.
    Not to mention the idiots who know they are infected showing up and spreading the virus.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

The economy has already been in a tailspin, and this will certainly make it worse. Major recession probably on the way and if not handled right, it could turn into a Herbert Hoover type depression. (you all remember Hoover don't you?)

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Will be interesting to see the reaction if they cancel the entiretournament, which is still on the table.