Van Maanen down 2-1 after one
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: BiZon vs Cyclones

3-3 after two periods.

van Maanen gets ridden the entire third period. Lose 4-3 due to riding time. 22-16 final for ISU

Good showing for the Bison

I missed everything after the second period of 197, so I'll have to watch it tomorrow.

22-16 is about what you'd expect with Carr out, but super disappointing to hear that it ends on a third period rideout though

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I missed everything after the second period of 197, so I'll have to watch it tomorrow.

22-16 is about what you'd expect with Carr out, but super disappointing to hear that it ends on a third period rideout though
    I think Michael Nelson will take over for Eaton next year. I don't know if any of our other freshmen look like they will take over a weight class next year. You mentioned Van Mannen being ridden out and I was thinking maybe the younger Weber can beat Van Mannen out at 149. However he never wrestled another match after the Bison Open. It would be nice if Wokojance really improved and took over 184. Any insight into our true freshman wrestlers this year?

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    I think Michael Nelson will take over for Eaton next year. I don't know if any of our other freshmen look like they will take over a weight class next year. You mentioned Van Mannen being ridden out and I was thinking maybe the younger Weber can beat Van Mannen out at 149. However he never wrestled another match after the Bison Open. It would be nice if Wokojance really improved and took over 184. Any insight into our true freshman wrestlers this year?
    It will be interesting to see what happens at 125/133. It looked like Cory Gamet would step into the 125 spot with Midkiff bumping up to 133 but he’s no longer on the roster. That pretty much means Midkiff has to stay at 125 or they’re wresting a true freshman or a transfer. I will say that the way things are set up,for transfers now days it can take some of the strain off of a situation like this. Purely hypothetical but Iowa has a backup at 125 (cashman) that could decide he’d rather have a chance to compete now instead of waiting for Spencer Lee to leave. I believe his dad wrestled at NDSU.

Without a transfer you’re probably looking at Midkiff at 125 and Ripplinger at 133 or maybe March comes in a starts as a true freshman which probably isn’t a best case scenario

I think Nelson will be very good right out of the gate next year. Yes, he lost to Eaton this year, but I think his explosiveness and length will offer more than Eaton has.

My hope is that Cole Witzig, who was solid whenever he wrestled this year, drops to 184. He isn't exactly lean at 197, so it should be doable. Let Witzig, Cressell, Pottinger, and Wokojance determine who is the best guy.

Brenner seems very likely to step in at 174, and I'd bet on him to put up improved results over what we've seen this year. He had Bastian on the ropes and nearly beat Fogarty in the intrasquad scrimmage.

141 and 149 look to belong to Droegemueller and Van Maanen. Van Maanen has been right with so many guys, he just hasn't been able to finish. You are 1-2 tweaks away from creating a top 20 wrestler. Droegemueller just needs to finish his shots better/quicker. He cleans that up and he is a likely NCAA qualifier.

125/133 is the concern. Midkiff mans ones spot, and I would imagine he prefers 133 to be that spot. If that is the case, we need a transfer for 125. If Midkiff goes 125 again, then probably Ripplinger at 133, and he would probably be the weakest link in the lineup by a wide margin.

We'll lose our two best starters and another 4 year starter, but adding Nelson (197), Brenner (174), and Weber (165) keeps the team competitive, if a bit lacking in potential All Americans. Franek would become our star and probably the only realistic AA contender.

Finally got a chance to finish watching the dual.

Good job by Eaton of pushing the action in the third period. That win will help for B12 seeding.
    Metz lost one exchange and that was about it. I thought Metz did very well with his snaps, which he normally doesn't use. If he can piece a snap and a quick snatch single together, he will be all the more dangerous.
    Midkiff wrestled ok, but got beat on his feet pretty soundly.
    Unfortunate that Small got injured at 133, but Cam didn't do anything wrong. Cam gave up the first takedown again, and that has been a constant the past month. Need to fix that ASAP.
    Bad match by Degen all around.
    At 149, what a blunder with the choice in the third period. Jaden has struggled a ton on bottom all year, and Degen is a lanky, quality rider. It would be defensible if Jaden was getting beaten on his feet, but he actually looked better than Degen from neutral as the match went on and had just gotten a takedown. Jaden had initiated pretty much all of the exchanges from neutral too, so a stall point was a possibility. To make matters even worse, Jaden initially suggested neutral to the coaches. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I think Nelson will be very good right out of the gate next year. Yes, he lost to Eaton this year, but I think his explosiveness and length will offer more than Eaton has.

My hope is that Cole Witzig, who was solid whenever he wrestled this year, drops to 184. He isn't exactly lean at 197, so it should be doable. Let Witzig, Cressell, Pottinger, and Wokojance determine who is the best guy.

Brenner seems very likely to step in at 174, and I'd bet on him to put up improved results over what we've seen this year. He had Bastian on the ropes and nearly beat Fogarty in the intrasquad scrimmage.

141 and 149 look to belong to Droegemueller and Van Maanen. Van Maanen has been right with so many guys, he just hasn't been able to finish. You are 1-2 tweaks away from creating a top 20 wrestler. Droegemueller just needs to finish his shots better/quicker. He cleans that up and he is a likely NCAA qualifier.

125/133 is the concern. Midkiff mans ones spot, and I would imagine he prefers 133 to be that spot. If that is the case, we need a transfer for 125. If Midkiff goes 125 again, then probably Ripplinger at 133, and he would probably be the weakest link in the lineup by a wide margin.

We'll lose our two best starters and another 4 year starter, but adding Nelson (197), Brenner (174), and Weber (165) keeps the team competitive, if a bit lacking in potential All Americans. Franek would become our star and probably the only realistic AA contender.
    Your potential lineup for next looks pretty good. Although I would
    Think if Witzig could make 184 he would have done it this year.