Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2/19 @ South Dakota

Default Re: 2/19 @ South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by slips View Post
    Also, teams are really coming at Vinnie hard at the top of the key off those screens. Rocky is wide open every single time but has had trouble knocking it down, hesitating, or turning the ball over. Get Samuelson up there setting that screen instead of Rocky. Teams will have to stop crashing on Vinnie so hard or risk Samuelson shooting them out of the gym. Plus it gets Rocky down low to help rebound instead of standing at the top of the key.
    Good observation from last night. Agree with both teams not playing well. But we played better down the stretch. Excellent road win. Now on to the F’hawkers. Bring the brooms for another season sweep.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Also, teams are really coming at Vinnie hard at the top of the key off those screens. Rocky is wide open every single time but has had trouble knocking it down, hesitating, or turning the ball over. Get Samuelson up there setting that screen instead of Rocky. Teams will have to stop crashing on Vinnie so hard or risk Samuelson shooting them out of the gym. Plus it gets Rocky down low to help rebound instead of standing at the top of the key.
    That is a great idea but that action is much easier to just simply switch the ball screen. Rocky is a capable shooter, if teams are going to leave him, he needs to step up and knock down the shots like he did in the 2nd half. Using Rocky has the screener really applies a lot of stress on the opposing teams big guy and what he chooses to do.

How may games have you watched this year?? Teams have always been coming at Vinnie hard off the screen, this year, and last year also...

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    How may games have you watched this year?? Teams have always been coming at Vinnie hard off the screen, this year, and last year also...
    I have either attended or watched almost every single game this year. Opposing teams earlier in the year seemed to do it periodically as a change of pace. Last few games it has been happening almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    That is a great idea but that action is much easier to just simply switch the ball screen. Rocky is a capable shooter, if teams are going to leave him, he needs to step up and knock down the shots like he did in the 2nd half. Using Rocky has the screener really applies a lot of stress on the opposing teams big guy and what he chooses to do.
    I agree with you Hoops, but it would be a good wrinkle to throw at other teams every now and then. I know Rocky can shoot it from there but he has struggled from behind the arc this year. I hope he keep shooting it and gets hot down the stretch but if I was going to pick between JS and RK hoisting up multiple 3's I will take JS. Vinnie demands a lot of attention and double teams. We have to find a way to get the ball in our BEST shooters hands not our 3rd or 4th best shooters hands and really make the opposition pay.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If Samuelson is the one setting the screen, they would automatically switch that and then neither would be open. The reason is quickness. A PG and SG should have close to the same quickness so there would be no advantage gained. The reason why you set it with the C is if they want to switch then Vinnie should have a huge advantage on the outside. Although what I would like to see is if they do switch it, have Rocky go post up the little guy. Just every once in a while to make the other team think on how to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    If Samuelson is the one setting the screen, they would automatically switch that and then neither would be open. The reason is quickness. A PG and SG should have close to the same quickness so there would be no advantage gained. The reason why you set it with the C is if they want to switch then Vinnie should have a huge advantage on the outside. Although what I would like to see is if they do switch it, have Rocky go post up the little guy. Just every once in a while to make the other team think on how to defend it.
    Exactly. Other teams do not have a problem posting up Samuelson or Vinnie on a switch.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If you sit within two sections of me in either direction you'll know I yell about this literally every single time it happens. They switch, Rocky has a PG on him in the post and we just pass the ball around the perimeter and still take a jump shot. It is hands down the most frustrating part of everything we do, we get the ball in there and either Rocky is going to get an easy bucket or they will have to double him and somebody will be wide open, it's easy offense, just have to be alert enough to recognize it and get the ball there and that's on Dave and the coaching staff making sure the players stop running the offense they are in and switch it up to get the ball inside. I don't think it's asking too much but I've been throwing a fit about it all season and nothing has changed

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    If you sit within two sections of me in either direction you'll know I yell about this literally every single time it happens. They switch, Rocky has a PG on him in the post and we just pass the ball around the perimeter and still take a jump shot. It is hands down the most frustrating part of everything we do, we get the ball in there and either Rocky is going to get an easy bucket or they will have to double him and somebody will be wide open, it's easy offense, just have to be alert enough to recognize it and get the ball there and that's on Dave and the coaching staff making sure the players stop running the offense they are in and switch it up to get the ball inside. I don't think it's asking too much but I've been throwing a fit about it all season and nothing has changed
    I agree. One of the things I like about Witz's game is his fundamentals on a screen and roll. He's really solid in setting the screen and doesn't leave the screen early like most guys. When he rolls, it's a direct path to the basket with some authority. I know Witz needs to improve on the defensive end, but I wish Rocky would get more physical on his screens and create those mismatches inside. I'm with you, 08.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

We don't know until we try. We haven't shown it on tape and it's already in their game plan how a team wants to attack it. Do it a couple times in the game and then it has to become an in-game adjustment. Once they adjust, switch back(you know, all that coaching things we lack from time to time). I'm not ragging on DR either, he is a young coach who is still learning and getting better. We have came a long way from the exclusive 3 man weave we used to run. Just brainstorming ways to get JS and other shooters some good looks. Plus, if they do simply switch it, Vinnie can handle whoever they put in front of him. I like Vinnie 1 on 1 with anyone in this league and when he drives the D collapses and also creates open opportunities for others. That hard double especially mid-late in the shot clock is leading to a lot of garbage shots and IMO one of the main reasons we have these extended scoring droughts.