Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks Drink Beer in Oregon.

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks Drink Beer in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterborn View Post
    Drove right by your place awhile back. Now I regret not stopping by after looking at your tap list.
    Next time your headed through it’s worth a stop for beer and food. Are you Salem local or just pass through? If just passing through there’s only a couple other spots that I’d recommend. I’d put my tap list up against anyone local on any day but it’s impossible to pour all the good beer. Some of it makes it other to places.

And for cheap cold, we pour Rainer. Why? No one else around does and it has the greatest TV beer commercial ever.
    <shot of a motorcycle riding along a curved mountain valley road.>
    “RAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY-NEEEEEeeeeeeeer-beeeeeeeeeeeeer”

Back to the travel guide. We’ve made it basically through central oregon and the northern/central coast. Last stop we had on the I84/Columbia Gorge route was Hood River. If you crossed over into Washington to hit the breweries I mentioned earlier you can keep going and hit Walking Man in Stevenson and then cross back into Oregon over the Bridge of the Gods. Thunder Island is just a bit of a backtrack from there but I can’t honestly recommend it because I’ve never had their beer. If any one stops or has before let me know.

Ok everyone driving this way pay attention. Multnomah Falls is a must stop. When you’re headed west you won’t see the falls until after you drive past it. You should not see Oregon’s most famous waterfall from your side mirror at 75mph. Take the exit and check it out. If you’re really not in a hurry get on the Historic Columbia Highway and really get your moneys worth. It takes you past a dozen or so waterfalls that are all worth stopping at including Multnomah. (Hike in to upper Loutrell Falls if you’re feeling ambitious I like these falls/hike even more than Multnomah. Stop at the Vista House as you begin working your way up the side of the Gorge. There are a couple of amazing viewpoints along the way, especially the Women’s one at the top before you get to Corbett. Some dumbass kid lit off some fireworks a few years ago and a decent chunk of this drive burned including some incredible tunnels. Listen to Smokey and don’t play with fire.

***WARNING!*** This drive is along the Historic Columbia Highway. It’s very narrow in places, can be quite windy (the whole Gorge is) and has a series of switchbacks that might make this a very uncomfortable drive if your nervous behind the wheel, afraid of heights, or driving a 60’ RV. But If you’ve driven the Beartooth Highway or the Road to Hana in Maui, you’ll be fine. <I hope>

There’s not a whole lot between Hood River and Portland proper beer wise except for Thunder Island and the McMinnemans Edgefield in Troutdale. Either Edgefield or the Kennedy School in North Portland are my favorite McMenamins. Edgefield hosts some great concerts and is a really cool place to stay. They’ve got a great garden, a working pottery and glass blowing hot shop (some friends of mine used to blow glass there)

From here we’re into Portland and I’m going to need to stretch and take a nap before tackling even a portion of the beer scene there.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    You should check out the correlation of drinking and wealth. That wealth might also help the longevity of life. Im feeling pretty stupid for quitting drinking now hey. I struggle with moderation.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by Ode2Luke View Post
    Next time your headed through it’s worth a stop for beer and food. Are you Salem local or just pass through? If just passing through there’s only a couple other spots that I’d recommend. I’d put my tap list up against anyone local on any day but it’s impossible to pour all the good beer. Some of it makes it other to places.

And for cheap cold, we pour Rainer. Why? No one else around does and it has the greatest TV beer commercial ever.
    <shot of a motorcycle riding along a curved mountain valley road.>
    “RAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY-NEEEEEeeeeeeeer-beeeeeeeeeeeeer”
    Not a local, just passing through.

My job takes me all over the country (and outside of it on a regular basis) but I regularly get up to the PNW as I have meetings there once or twice a year. I make it a point to try the local establishments and try something new. Very big craft beer fan (and a bit of a foodie) and there is little I do not like.

Love Rainer, have brought a case or two of it back after a couple of trips. There is a Pilsner that I had in BC (name was just Pilsner) that tastes pretty good when you are on the side of a mountain.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. – Marcus Aurelius

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” – Benjamin Franklin

Cool. Hopefully this thread will point you towards some great beer on your next visit.