Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks Drink Beer in Oregon.

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks Drink Beer in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Any chance you’re on Untappd?
    Yeah I joined it years ago and basically forgot about it. Started adding beers again a couple days for work. Couple of months from now if I keep after it, it will be respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode2Luke View Post
    Yeah I joined it years ago and basically forgot about it. Started adding beers again a couple days for work. Couple of months from now if I keep after it, it will be respectable.
    It’s my primary source of keeping track of what beers I try...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

MontBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If your in Bend you must visit Boneyard Brewing. If you see anything from Boneyard on a beer menu while in Oregon get it. It’s what a craft beer should taste like.

Quote Originally Posted by MontBison View Post
    If your in Bend you must visit Boneyard Brewing. If you see anything from Boneyard on a beer menu while in Oregon get it. It’s what a craft beer should taste like.
    Hop Venom DIPA is one of my favorites. They changed the recipe about 5 years ago and watered it down from 9 and change abv to 8.9 abv and the flavor changed a bit but it’s still one of the best Oregon DIPA’s you can get. The Notorious triple IPA is another one to look out for. RPM is their flagship IPA and seeing it on draft in oregon is kind of like seeing Coors on draft in Colorado. _Everyone_ and their sister has it. Diablo Rojo red, boneafide and Suge Knight stout are others to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by beersong View Post
    We’re starting in Astoria Wednesday afternoon and making our way down, then over to Eugene Friday evening. One night in Seaside, the other in Newport. Thanks!
    Astoria is a great starting point. Aside from the sea stacks and the Goonies movie and other touristy stuff. Brewing good beer is all about the water and there’s something about the water in Astoria that brews really, really good beer. Fort George is a must stop, Bouy is a close second. But you must must sample the gamut of Fort George beers. The Vortex IPA is a year round staple that crushes it. Depending on the release cycle look out for Skies Of Wonder, From Astoria with Love and the 3-Way IPA. You can’t go wrong. Cavatica Stout is delicious and if you want to blow Midwestern minds, bring a few back to Fargo, pour a can of it in a blender with a decent Java chip ice cream and make the best beer float you’ve ever tasted.
    I’ve not yet had a bad beer from Ft. George or Bouy.

Pelican Brewing is a local coastal chain. They’ve got some cool view brew pubs located right on the beach. In a couple of cities, unfortunately for some reason I dislike their beer a lot. So I don’t recommend it other than the view, but one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure so you might give it a try.

Eat chowder on the coast, it’s delicious.

South of Astoria is Tillamook, famous for ice cream and cheese, but a hidden gem if you’re a fan of sour or wild fermented beer is DeGarde Brewing. It’s an acquired taste but if you’re a sour beer fan you’ll love this spot.

If you’ve only ever drunk some flavorless crap like bud light, a “good” sour beer will probably scrunch your face and turn your belly faster than cheap tequila. But on a hot day if they’re your thing there’s nothing better than a good sour beer. It’s light (most run 4-7abv), tart and refreshing and hits all the right notes. Think organic lemonade but it’s beer.

Pacific City is a bit of a detour off 101, but worth a stop for of all things: Twist Wine bar. The wines are of course good, (Oregon’s got great wineries) but I put this on a beer map for one specific reason. The very knowledgeable and talented lady that makes the wine happens to be the sister of another very talented California wine guy who branched off into beer in the late 1990’s. That guy being Vinnie of Russian River Brewing Co. Twist is about the only place in oregon I’d guarantee has fresh Pliny the Elder year round. PtE is one of the great mythical, historical IPA’s, that every IPA fan should notch on their belt. Blind Pig IPA is great, or any of their sours are also worth a taste.

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is my new fav thread.

BlueKeyAlum is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Ode2Luke View Post
    Ok this one is straight up sticking my neck out there but it’s the perfect NDSU vs OR analogy.

If you’re driving through Central OR, you’ll come through Bend,OR (the Ducks in this example) it’s packed full of 5* Breweries and is worth spending a day or 7 visiting. Everyone will tell you how great it is and blah blah blah.

But if you’re in a hurry and have one stop, make the slight detour and go to Redmond, OR (NDSU) it’s smaller, quiet and Wild Ride Brewing is the Trey Lance of central Oregon breweries. They’re killing it this year, making great beer. Geist, Kobold/the Vault, and Initiative Brewing are smaller but all pack a serious punch. Jersey Boys Pizza across the street from Initiative has one of the best tap lists in the state. If you’re there early in the day, eat at One Street Down.

You can’t really go wrong with either choice but my money on my last visit was spent on the little guy.
    Wild rides nut cruncher porter is delicious.
    "I’m not familiar precisely with what I said, but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.” --- Mitt Romney

"That which doesn't kill you, hurts." -- me

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I need to broaden my horizon a bit with the craft beers. I’m more of a lager drinker and that’s about it. I can handle an IPA or an Ale every now and again but lagers are what I focus on. Like a good Amber Bock.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS