Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT 2/14 vs PFW

Default Re: GDT 2/14 vs PFW

You know, it all stems on the student section. It really does. I don't think TV giveaways are the way to do it either.

I don't know everything they have tried. TV giveaway seems tacky and it didn't work. Have they done anything like the first 200 students get a . . . (Whatever). Scarf, shirt, food, etc.

What did Saul and Miles do? I know we say 'They had it' as far as coach/ambassador for the programs go. We could all see it, can we define it?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    No
    It’s happening everywhere
    At the same time, there are significantly fewer students at NDSU

Best to try to address the issue from a bigger perspective as opposed to blaming athletics, which administratively is far and away a relative success story at NDSU
    So how do you explain with about half the enrollment of today the old BSA with 1000 more capacity was packed to the rafters for many games in the early 1980's? Sad to see the kids today place so much emphasis on social media, hookups, video games and god knows what else. So much more to participating in something bigger than yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt_Secondary View Post
    You know, it all stems on the student section. It really does. I don't think TV giveaways are the way to do it either.

I don't know everything they have tried. TV giveaway seems tacky and it didn't work. Have they done anything like the first 200 students get a . . . (Whatever). Scarf, shirt, food, etc.

What did Saul and Miles do? I know we say 'They had it' as far as coach/ambassador for the programs go. We could all see it, can we define it?
    Back in the old days (early 1980's) when I was a student they would give out coupons for a free Big Mac or quarter pounder when the Bison scored over 100 points. Lots of fans stuck around and cheered like crazy as the Bison got close to and several times surpassed 100. Fun times.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....e-decline-ncaa

Great read, but long.
    Cliff notes

1.Rising tuition makes students more focused on school
    2.Some places charge students
    3.Lack of competitive games
    4.More out of state students at some Universities
    5.As always, are my friends going?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    So how do you explain with about half the enrollment of today the old BSA with 1000 more capacity was packed to the rafters for many games in the early 1980's? Sad to see the kids today place so much emphasis on social media, hookups, video games and god knows what else. So much more to participating in something bigger than yourself.
    I think we both just did

The number of student attendees is the product of the fraction of interested students (x) and the total number of students (N)

Both x and N are dropping, x much more quickly apparently

I agree, it is sad

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    it's the atmosphere , no students, no buzz, need a coach with some pizazz. hell when Vinnie or Cam or Tyson get a lil cocky and trying to pump up the crowd they can feel eyes on them
    The students didn’t follow when games moved off campus and have just never returned

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    The students didn’t follow when games moved off campus and have just never returned
    yes that is true.
    but they are literally 3-4 blocks away
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

This. Combined with my hot take of: the BSA was a shithole, but fans loved it because it was our loveable shithole.

Gotta do something to get with the times: beer, free WiFi, free usage of Disney+ in the stadium, strippers, make the building ADA friendly... just do SOMETHING to liven up the atmosphere in there

i’m not reinventing the wheel with this take, but i’m the only one out of my friend/acquaintance group of about 20-30 that has regularly attended games. that sample size is no way representative of the whole student body, but it’s clear that going to a men’s basketball game is no longer considered an event.

the average ndsu student who does not know much about the football program is still aware that our team is good.
    take that same student who doesn’t know much about our basketball program either and what do you think they know, that we played duke in the ncaa tournament?
    i bring this up to say perception is everything, and the perception of our men’s b-ball team isn’t where it should be, which leads to what we experience. it’s unfair to the players and coaches, but it’s also the reality of things