Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oru gdt 2/8

Default Re: Oru gdt 2/8

Great team victory today as it seems our seniors are really stepping up!

We are definitely hard on Richmond that is for sure. This is going to be a fun couple of weeks as we should be the odds on favorite to win the Summit League tournament and get a repeat appearance in the NCAA Tournament. With the right match up we could have a chance to win.

We have had a pretty good run of coaches at NDSU with Miles, Saul and now Richmond. I wonder if other schools will be looking at Richmond this year as he set the schedule up very similar to TJ from SDSU last year (lots of wins) to put on the resume.

One of the major items that up for debate is that 3 of Saul's squads were better than the best of Richmond's. Richmond has kept us very competitive, but we haven't had the real barn burner teams.

26-7 2013 team ~ NCAA Tournament Team beating Oklahoma (Won Conference)
    26-7 2008 team - NCAA Tournament Team (Won Conference)
    24-10 2012 Team - 3rd in Summit

Other items are we do have renovated arena, newer practice facilities, nutrition program and cost of attendance under Richmond. We do have increased competition for recruits locally with USD and UND which has made it harder.
    Last edited by blackdiamond2; 02-09-2020 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Titan View Post
    For what it’s worth: as an outside observer, I am continually puzzled why some NDSU “fans” are so critical of Dave Richman. I can only assume they are fair-weather fans who don’t really understand anything about what actually makes for a good basketball coach and a successful basketball program. Take it from someone who has been around college basketball (and college basketball coaches) for 50 years: your coach checks all the boxes. Especially when compared to Saul Phillips, who I found in my personal dealings was an absolute phony. In short, I would take your coach for my school every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I just hope his Bison critics come to appreciate him before they lose him to another job.
    I think the shit he and the MBB program takes is due to the unrealistic expectations NDSU's flagship program from that other revenue sport keeps meeting and exceeding and that leads to unrealistic expectations for Richman and the MBB team. I came to the realization after last year's tournament run that it's pointless to try convince anyone that Richman is or isn't a good coach. Everyone's mind is made up and it's not changing no matter how good or bad this year finishes.

I think he's about the kind of coach we can expect given the support given and resources available for/to the NDSU MBB program... he hasn't blown the doors off anything but he's also been enough to maintain job security for at least the rest of this season and the next. If you don't agree with that more power to you, I won't waste time trying to convince you you're wrong.

hey I'm all in on dave.

get us to dance and get to the MAC
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think the shit he and the MBB program takes is due to the unrealistic expectations NDSU's flagship program from that other revenue sport keeps meeting and exceeding and that leads to unrealistic expectations for Richman and the MBB team. I came to the realization after last year's tournament run that it's pointless to try convince anyone that Richman is or isn't a good coach. Everyone's mind is made up and it's not changing no matter how good or bad this year finishes.

I think he's about the kind of coach we can expect given the support given and resources available for/to the NDSU MBB program... he hasn't blown the doors off anything but he's also been enough to maintain job security for at least the rest of this season and the next. If you don't agree with that more power to you, I won't waste time trying to convince you you're wrong.
    The football programs success certainly doesn’t help him out. The thing with being a mid major is that you’re going to have rebuilding years and you’re going to have years where the recruiting classes align really well. This is one of those years that the expectations are Big Dance or bust. Look at SDSU who with a first year coach and very young team are step for step with the league favorites.

At the end of the day, the Summit is way down from where it was a few years ago. I think the prevailing thought from the malcontents is that ORU, WIU, etc. are shells of their former selves. NDSU isn’t a basketball school but the foundation is there (athletic department, fan base, facilities) for the right hire to knock it our of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

The football programs success certainly doesn’t help him out. The thing with being a mid major is that you’re going to have rebuilding years and you’re going to have years where the recruiting classes align really well. This is one of those years that the expectations are Big Dance or bust. Look at SDSU who with a first year coach and very young team are step for step with the league favorites.

At the end of the day, the Summit is way down from where it was a few years ago. I think the prevailing thought from the malcontents is that ORU, WIU, etc. are shells of their former selves. NDSU isn’t a basketball school but the foundation is there (athletic department, fan base, facilities) for the right hire to knock it our of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    LMFAO what's his marquee win, ETSU? Give me a break.
    Exactly, one signature win and poor game management by calling no time out when other team on a run,
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    This is my biggest gripe with Richman other then his offensive philosophy(still trying to figure this out sometimes). Saul coached us at a time when the Summit was pretty dang strong with players and coaches. He assembled the best team in school history and won some big games against way better teams then Richman can even dream about. Richman completely wasted any recruiting advantage we had coming off that NCAA win against OU. He's never put together a strong team from 1-5, a couple good players each year but no where near as talented as anyone on that 2013 team. Yeah he's won the SL tourney but that's not good enough for me anymore. This program should be striving for more, it has all the resources to do it. If Saul can get a 12 seed and NCAA win over OU with the old BSA and no FCOA we should be striving for sweet sixteen runs for crying out loud!

This is my biggest gripe with Richman other then his offensive philosophy(still trying to figure this out sometimes). Saul coached us at a time when the Summit was pretty dang strong with players and coaches. He assembled the best team in school history and won some big games against way better teams then Richman can even dream about. Richman completely wasted any recruiting advantage we had coming off that NCAA win against OU. He's never put together a strong team from 1-5, a couple good players each year but no where near as talented as anyone on that 2013 team. Yeah he's won the SL tourney but that's not good enough for me anymore. This program should be striving for more, it has all the resources to do it. If Saul can get a 12 seed and NCAA win over OU with the old BSA and no FCOA we should be striving for sweet sixteen runs for crying out loud!
    My one question is does DR get no credit for the past success? Hes been at NDSU for quite amount of time, he didnt come in from some outside school. He was on both Miles and Phillips staff. He was Saul's right hand man and had a direct hand in all recruiting/game planning/scouting/player development during those years. I get he wasn't the head man, and Saul deserves every bit of credit he gets for those teams. But to completely discredit DR seems a bit unfair and Im sure if you asked Saul he would say the same thing.

I hope Saul does really well at Northern State and get backs to the D1 ranks. The dude is a rock star and a really good basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    My one question is does DR get no credit for the past success? Hes been at NDSU for quite amount of time, he didnt come in from some outside school. He was on both Miles and Phillips staff. He was Saul's right hand man and had a direct hand in all recruiting/game planning/scouting/player development during those years. I get he wasn't the head man, and Saul deserves every bit of credit he gets for those teams. But to completely discredit DR seems a bit unfair and Im sure if you asked Saul he would say the same thing.

I hope Saul does really well at Northern State and get backs to the D1 ranks. The dude is a rock star and a really good basketball coach.
    Sure he gets credit, he got a fricking promotion out of it FFS. He's done just enough to keep the job IMO but that doesn't change the fact that we should be expecting more.

Sure he gets credit, he got a fricking promotion out of it FFS. He's done just enough to keep the job IMO but that doesn't change the fact that we should be expecting more.
    We fund our MBB team in the middle of the conference. We pay Richman less than SL coaches that have been on the job a third of the time that he has. This perception that we deserve better is misguided given the commitment, or lack thereof, that has been made to the program.