Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denver GDT

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Denver GDT

Oh I can explain it, if you're an upper classman and Dave likes you because you're a good culture fit you get to play as many minutes as you can handle. If you have talent and can help the team win you'll have a limited role as long as these upper classman still exist on the roster. There's no question that Knoteck and Maleeck bring more to the floor than Quayle and Samuelson but they're seniors so Dave plays them like it's a 5th grade traveling team where we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Oh I can explain it, if you're an upper classman and Dave likes you because you're a good culture fit you get to play as many minutes as you can handle. If you have talent and can help the team win you'll have a limited role as long as these upper classman still exist on the roster. There's no question that Knoteck and Maleeck bring more to the floor than Quayle and Samuelson but they're seniors so Dave plays them like it's a 5th grade traveling team where we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
    That seems a little over the top but maybe you are at every practice seeing how players gel together and see who brings it every single day. Not saying these young guys don’t because I’m not there and don’t see it. What I have seen this year is Quayle is much more consistent this year on offense and does a nice job defensively and Samuelson has always brought tough defense and can stretch the floor with the best of them when completely healthy.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    That seems a little over the top but maybe you are at every practice seeing how players gel together and see who brings it every single day. Not saying these young guys don’t because I’m not there and don’t see it. What I have seen this year is Quayle is much more consistent this year on offense and does a nice job defensively and Samuelson has always brought tough defense and can stretch the floor with the best of them when completely healthy.
    It hasn't just been this year, it's not just these players, it's how Dave has always done it. Yes, Quayle doesn't make many mistakes on offense and does play well defensively but he's not a threat. Samuelson can shoot, but so can Knoteck, saying he plays tough on defense is true because he gives it his all but he just doesn't have the athleticism to stick with some of the guards in this league. Maleeck brings energy, rebounding and the ability to score and Knoteck can stretch the floor and on top of it has shown the ability to drive and create his own shot. I'm not suggesting Quayle and Samuelson don't play at all but Knoteck and Maleeck deserve to see the floor more. Against SDSU the minutes were - Quayle/Samuelson - 36, Knoteck/Hayes - 5. Even against Denver when Samuelson only played 3 minutes before getting hurt it was - Quayle/Samuelson - 25, Knoteck/Hayes - 9 (All by Hayes as Knoteck didn't see the floor). The stats don't lie, if you look at the per minute played stats and shooting percentages Knoteck and Maleeck contribute more across the board. We all saw the same issue with Deng last year, we need the productive players on the floor.

So I'm not the only one that sees it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Cue Allen Iverson-We talkin bout practice?

How about play the best players? Practice doesn't mean shit if you can't perform in games. How about coach your best players up, motivate them and put them on the floor. Isn't that his job? What a novel concept. Maybe Dave likes the ass kissers?

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Who knows. If anyone ever understands Richman's coaching player rotation/strategy please explain. Seems like it's a crap shoot at best.

wait.. Tyson Ward is our best player , he's a senior... and if he really was left on bench the last 18 minutes of the game then just end this season now. did this really happen? I was on lake of woods & couldn't listen.

16 mins 3 points Tyson Ward. 16 minutes is unacceptable.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sorry but this is not a good take. Samuelson is shooting 35% from the floor and can not match up with anyone that is athletic. He is a liability most times on defense. Quayle is shooting 28% from the floor so he offers nothing offensively and is average on D at best.

Hayes and Knotek are just better players. Way more upside and by every metric are playing much better than these two....Imagine developing these guys so they would be really ready to help come conference tourney time..
    Last edited by steelbison; 01-28-2020 at 05:53 PM.

It hasn't just been this year, it's not just these players, it's how Dave has always done it. Yes, Quayle doesn't make many mistakes on offense and does play well defensively but he's not a threat. Samuelson can shoot, but so can Knoteck, saying he plays tough on defense is true because he gives it his all but he just doesn't have the athleticism to stick with some of the guards in this league. Maleeck brings energy, rebounding and the ability to score and Knoteck can stretch the floor and on top of it has shown the ability to drive and create his own shot. I'm not suggesting Quayle and Samuelson don't play at all but Knoteck and Maleeck deserve to see the floor more. Against SDSU the minutes were - Quayle/Samuelson - 36, Knoteck/Hayes - 5. Even against Denver when Samuelson only played 3 minutes before getting hurt it was - Quayle/Samuelson - 25, Knoteck/Hayes - 9 (All by Hayes as Knoteck didn't see the floor). The stats don't lie, if you look at the per minute played stats and shooting percentages Knoteck and Maleeck contribute more across the board. We all saw the same issue with Deng last year, we need the productive players on the floor.
    Plus, neither Samuelson or Quayle are the future of this team. Giving MHH and Knotek meaningful minutes now builds the program and sends a message to recruits. It's no mystery why fans get on Richman for lack of player development.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Plus, neither Samuelson or Quayle are the future of this team. Giving MHH and Knotek meaningful minutes now builds the program and sends a message to recruits. It's no mystery why fans get on Richman for lack of player development.
    Wilson has been on the bench for two years and sees no time. I am not sure what is up there. Back to player development is an underlying question with coaches.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Show me something that says these two deserve to see more than they are getting. I'm not defending our head coach at all costs but what I am saying is unless you've been at practice and individual workouts, you may not be seeing the entire picture. I did go look at stats, and I didn't think they were all that different. Yes Knoteck has the best shooting percentage of the four, but it's not like he's even shooting high 40's. He's at 40%. Samuelson and Hayes are about even with Quayle below all of them. Coach seems to me like he is one who wants someone to earn their playing time on the boards and on defense and if you can prove yourself there first, then we'll start to work you in more and more. Considering we are one of the top defensive scoring teams in the nation, I'm pretty my thought is correct. How are they doing defensively and on the boards?