Thread: Who to Watch this Year (in 2020)?

Default Who to Watch this Year (in 2020)?

Who do you all think are some of the men and women to watch this year in Bison Track and Field?

Be a little generous. Throwers are hot right now (have been a couple years now), but there are some bright spots and potential among the non-throwers too.

Default Re: Who to Watch this Year (in 2020)?

Alex Bartholomay is a great story, I think.

He ran 4:29.34 in high school for 1600m. This is about a 4:31 mile (4:30.91 or so)
    His first year at NDSU (redshirt Fr.) he ran a 4:26 mile
    His second year at NDSU he ran a 4:18 mile (already a 13 second improvement from high school, a big improvement)
    His third year at NDSU he ran a 4:10 mile
    This year (his fourth), he has already run a 4:07.73 - indoors.

That is a 23 second improvement in 4 years. It gets harder to take time off each year as one runs faster, but to this point he is averaging about 6 seconds improvement per year. If he continues on this trajectory, he'll move up the All-time list and could potentially get the NDSU school record of 4:03.35.

I think anyone looking at his high school performances coming into NDSU would not have predicted this. So nice job Alex !!

Another athlete to keep an eye on is Adrian Harris - a freshman this year.

This past weekend he broke the NDSU school record in the 300m, running a 34.16 .
    The prior record was 34.21, from 2005 (Marques Johnson).

That is impressive for a freshman. The 300m is not run as often as the 400m (apparently his best high school race). It will be interesting to see how he fares in a few 400m races. A terrific start to his college career.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Another athlete to keep an eye on is Adrian Harris - a freshman this year.

This past weekend he broke the NDSU school record in the 300m, running a 34.16 .
    The prior record was 34.21, from 2005 (Marques Johnson).

That is impressive for a freshman. The 300m is not run as often as the 400m (apparently his best high school race). It will be interesting to see how he fares in a few 400m races. A terrific start to his college career.
    Yes. He's going to be a good one.
    He ran the 11th best time at the Florida State Meet last spring (across all divisions) 47.89. The NDSU outdoor record is 46.69.

https://youtu.be/K9YoR_z-POc

This guy doesn't even look like an athlete.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt