Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Dual - 24 Jan

Default Oklahoma Dual - 24 Jan

After weather washed out last weeks dual against Iowa State, the guys return to the mat vs Oklahoma tonight. It should be a good team matchup with several interesting individual matchups. It feels like NDSU needs a win here after the dud vs Wyoming. Hopefully Fogarty and Midkiff are back in the lineup too, otherwise things don't look promising. WrestleStat has this one as a 19-14 win for the Sooners, and they disagree with me on the winners at 125, 157, and 184.

Predictions:
    125- Midkiff dec Moody, 3-0 NDSU. Moody isn't having a good year, but he has wrestled a really tough schedule and lost several close matches to good guys. He is a fifth year senior, 4 year starter, and 3 time NCAA qualifier.
    133- Sykora dec Madrigal, 6-0 NDSU. Cam lost to a sub .500 Madrigal last year and that was one of the matches that keyed Oklahoma's narrow win. Madrigal has been better this year, but Cam should win here.
    141- Demas fall Degen, 6-6. Demas is one of the most dangerous guys in the country and a legitimate NCAA title contender. He is explosive and extremely comfortable with upper body stuff and all forms of ties. That is a recipe for disaster for Degen.
    149- Butler dec Van Maanen, 9-6 OU. Winnable match for JVM, but his track record in close matches is awful this year.
    157- Franek dec Thomas, 9-9. Thomas had a comeback win against Luke Weber last year to seal the dual and is tough. He was one win away from becoming an All American last year and has put together another solid year. I think this is Franek's breakthrough.
    165- Fogarty fall Dover, 15-9 NDSU. Dover is a true freshman who has wrestled some tough guys close, but he started the year at 149. I have a very hard time believing he can match Fogarty's physicality.
    174- Mantanona dec De La Riva, 15-12 NDSU. De La Riva beat him twice last year, but I think he loses tonight. Hope I'm wrong.
    184- Roberts dec Roberts, 15-15. I don't think I've seen Roberts wrestle, but he has better results than Cressell this year. Maybe this is winnable.
    197- Woodley dec Eaton, 18-15 OU. Woodley is just better than Eaton and I can't see Cordell being able to match Woodley's offense.
    HWT- Metz dec Jones, 18-18. Metz already beat him 3-2 once this year.

There are a lot of matches that could go either way. 125, 133, 149, 157, 174, 184, and HWT are all up for grabs. OU is a huge favorite at 141 and a sizable favorite at 197. NDSU is only a huge favorite at 165, and that's if Fogarty goes.

Default Re: Oklahoma Dual - 24 Jan

Yep, I think your analysis is spot on. Maybe Weber could win at 165 if Fogarty can't go, but I don't want to find out. Hopefully the guys come out with some fire tonight.

Dual starting at 141 tonight.

Good news is that leaves two really good matches to end the dual.

Bad news is OU will likely have a big lead right away. Dom Demas is an All American and has beaten Degen by tech fall twice before. Butler is a decent favorite at 149 as well.

Tyler Jones and Cam are dressed at 133...

Hopefully Cam goes, but that isn't promising

Great job by Droegemueller there to only lose by 6.

Had a couple nice shots that he probably finishes on most normal guys

Van Maanen cradles and pins Butler! That is huuuuge

Okay okay, you have my attention boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Van Maanen cradles and pins Butler! That is huuuuge
    12 points ahead of schedule

Franek gets a top 20 win as he beats Justin Thomas 3-1.
    9-3 NDSU. Great start

Fogarty out here hitting cow catchers, let’s go! [emoji202]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk