Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Football Top 10 of the 2010's

Default Re: Football Top 10 of the 2010's

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Can neither agree nor disagree, but, and maybe it’s just me, don’t Natty games just have an entirely different feel than other games. Just an exiting, up-tempo feel.

The QB power run by Wentz against ISUr will forever be one of my favorites, along with the Beck pick and return.

And just fun that we have so many things/plays/games to choose from.

Go Bison!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Along these lines.....I got to thinking about plays that maybe got forgotten at the time (or maybe just not enough credit as they should've) but turned out to have a huge impact on the game. Came up with these, feel free to add others:

-Jose Mohler to Justin Howard at Youngstown in 2010 with 34 seconds left (6-5 and out of the playoffs if that doesn’t happen)

-Travis Beck forced fumble and Kyle Emanuel return for TD against UNI in 2011 (David Johnson fumbled, UNI ranked #2; first win over UNI after joining the Valley)

-RB screen to DJ McNorton in the natty that went for a TD (all the pub goes to the fake punt one play before)

-The 3rd and 7 during “The Drive” at Kansas State where Billy Turner blocks two guys

-John Crockett 80 yard TD run vs. Iowa State (down 14-0 at the time, momentum did a 180)

-Chris Board recovering the second half kickoff vs. Illinois State in the natty (got a field goal, won by 2)

-Vraa’s catch on 4th and 8 on the sideline vs Northern Iowa in 2015 (set up Shepherd in the corner for the win)

-Nick DeLuca’s diving pick against Jacksonville State (seemed like that stepped on their throat)

-Designed QB run on the first play of final drive at Iowa (watch how the LB follows the RB to the sideline and opens the whole middle of the field)

-Josh Hayes “under-physicalling” both Stapelton Bros.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Along these lines.....I got to thinking about plays that maybe got forgotten at the time (or maybe just not enough credit as they should've) but turned out to have a huge impact on the game. Came up with these, feel free to add others:

-Jose Mohler to Justin Howard at Youngstown in 2010 with 34 seconds left (6-5 and out of the playoffs if that doesn’t happen)

-Travis Beck forced fumble and Kyle Emanuel return for TD against UNI in 2011 (David Johnson fumbled, UNI ranked #2; first win over UNI after joining the Valley)

-RB screen to DJ McNorton in the natty that went for a TD (all the pub goes to the fake punt one play before)

-The 3rd and 11 during “The Drive” at Kansas State where Billy Turner blocks two guys

-John Crockett 80 yard TD run vs. Iowa State (down 14-0 at the time, momentum did a 180)

-Chris Board recovering the second half kickoff vs. Illinois State in the natty (got a field goal, won by 2)

-Vraa’s catch on 4th and 8 on the sideline vs Northern Iowa in 2015 (set up Shepherd in the corner for the win)

-Nick DeLuca’s diving pick against Jacksonville State (seemed like that stepped on their throat)

-Designed QB run on the first play of final drive at Iowa (watch how the LB follows the RB to the sideline and opens the whole middle of the field)

-Josh Hayes “under-physicalling” both Stapelton Bros.
    Not to be picky, but fixed your post for you.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

2012/13: Georgia Southern (aka...."The Decibel Game") Littlejohn blocks the 50 yard field goal attempt by their soccer player in the waning seconds to seal the win.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    2012/13: Georgia Southern (aka...."The Decibel Game") Littlejohn, with his armpit, blocks the 50 yard field goal attempt by their soccer player in the waning seconds to seal the win.
    FIFY

Littlejohn also made a monster play just before that blowing up McKinnon before he even had a chance to pitch forcing a fumble causing them to lose about 4-5 yards and make the clock go [Berman voice]tick tick-tick-tick-tick[/Berman voice] forcing them to try a FG that long.

The first natty, and especially "the fake" doesn't get enough love. Going into that game we were legitimate underdogs to undefeated SHSU, and thought that going to Frisco could very well be our only trip for another 20 years. If you remember, the stadium had a ton of apparel stands setup filled with SHSU championship gear, and no NDSU gear at the end of the game. None of us knew what to expect, and we spent the first half losing, doing nothing on offense, and then got stuffed for an apparent 3 and out on the first drive of the 2nd half. Then came the fake and middle screen and we're up 10-6, but it's still a struggle until the pick, sneak and Brock's A-Rog championship belt celebration and from there the rest is history.

That has to be higher on the list than 7. I may put it #2 behind only "they left Carson too much time" and ISUr.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Id switch around 1 and 2, but this is solid. I also think the Brock Jensen semifinal “flu game” is up there. Punched our first ticket to Frisco.
    Agreed, I was at both games. Át the ISUr game, it felt like we were going to win the whole time... until we weren't, and then we did. At GSU2, it was in doubt the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Not to be picky, but fixed your post for you.
    Not to be picky, but it was right to begin with. The 3rd and 11 was the first series of the drive when the screen pass to Lang got a first down....Turner's play happened mid-drive.

Top 10 Playoff Blowouts

10. 2017 Quarters v Wofford (42-10): 35-10 at the half. NDSU held Wofford to under 180 total yards. Their only TD drive happened after an NDSU fumble (unforced) - 6 plays, 22 yards.
    9. 2012 2nd Round v SDSU (28-3): 21-3 at the half. SDSU had 21 yards rushing on 23 attempts.
    8. 2019 Semis v Montana State (42-7): 29-7 at the half. NDSU has 541 yards of offense.
    7. 2015 2nd Round v Montana (37-6): 21-0 at the half. Montana had 6 yards rushing for the game (.3 ypc). NDSU has 250 yards rushing.
    6. 2018 Quarters v Colgate (35-0): 14-0 at the half. Colgate got past their own 41 only twice in the game... and one of those was a 4-play, 8-yard drive that started inside NDSU territory.
    5. 2017 2nd Round v San Diego (38-3): 17-0 at the half, but it was 38-0 going into the 4th quarter.
    4. 2013 Quarters v Coastal Carolina (48-14): 34-7 at the half. NDSU had over 600 yards of offense.
    3. 2018 2nd Round v Montana State (52-10): 38-3 at the half. NDSU rushed for over 400 yards.
    2. 2013 Semis v New Hampshire (52-14): 31-7 at the half. UNH got a pick 6 on NDSU's first drive and didn't score again until their last drive in garbage time with 29 seconds left. NDSU had 354 rushing yards. UNH had 14 possessions; their longest drive was 26 yards in their first 13.
    1. 2017 Semis v Sam Houston State (55-13): 42-3 at the half and SHSU didn't crack 200 yards of offense.

There were a lot of games to choose from considering that NDSU won 24 playoff games by more than 3 scores. Heck, only three other teams had 10 or more playoff wins so it's kind of cool that we can even do a list like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Can neither agree nor disagree, but, and maybe it’s just me, don’t Natty games just have an entirely different feel than other games. Just an exiting, up-tempo feel.

The QB power run by Wentz against ISUr will forever be one of my favorites, along with the Beck pick and return.

And just fun that we have so many things/plays/games to choose from.

Go Bison!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The lasting image I have of Beck's return was watching him dive for the pylon and immediately looking back upfield for flags. There were 2 Bearcats still on the ground after getting blown up on monster blocks during the return.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    The lasting image I have of Beck's return was watching him dive for the pylon and immediately looking back upfield for flags. There were 2 Bearcats still on the ground after getting blown up on monster blocks during the return.
    The dive for end zone after that pick, the Superman dive towards the quarterback vs. K-State, and the leap attempting to block the SHSU kick (in the link below)…..
    NDSU should have a collage of those 3 images on a big ass display in the Fargodome concourse. Incredible athlete!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...oughness/page9