Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Top 10 of the 2010's

Default Football Top 10 of the 2010's

I'll start

10 Most Exciting Playoff Games

10. 2012 Wofford 14-7: Defense didn't give up a TD and had to stop Wofford three times in the redzone in the second half to preserve the lead
    9. 2010 EWU 31-38 (OT): NDSU had multiple opportunities to put this game away but HE WAS DOWN.
    8. 2015 UNI 23-13: UNI had the lead at the half, then Bruce Anderson returned the opening kickoff for a TD. Also Schaetzy for the safety.
    7. 2011 SHSU 17-6: Defensive struggle (both teams barely cracked 200 yards of offense). SHSU had the lead at the half, but fake punt (Voigtlander) + DJ with the screen + int return (Beck) + int (Pike) = 1st Chipper
    6. 2017 JMU 17-13: About as evenly matched as two teams can get.
    5. 2014 Coastal Carolina 39-32: CC took the lead at the start of the 4th, but on 3rd and 1, Crockett went 45 yards for the winning TD. On CC's last three possessions, the defense held them to 9 yards.
    4. 2014 SDSU 27-24: Carson Wentz to RJ Urzendowski for the winning score with under a minute left.
    3. 2019 JMU 28-20: Goal line stand with a Jimmy Football INT to seal number 8.
    2. 2012 Georgia Southern 23-20: 4th and Goal from the 4... Jensen TD.
    1. 2014 ISU-Red 29-27: Wentz and RJ Urzendowski on that final drive to come from behind and win in the final seconds. Epic.
    Last edited by tony; 01-24-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Fixed ISU-Red score

Default Re: Football Top 10 of the 2010's

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I'll start

10. 2012 Wofford 14-7: Defense didn't give up a TD and had to stop Wofford three times in the redzone in the second half to preserve the lead
    9. 2010 EWU 31-38 (OT): NDSU had multiple opportunities to put this game away but HE WAS DOWN.
    8. 2015 UNI 23-13: UNI had the lead at the half, then Bruce Anderson returned the opening kickoff for a TD. Also Schaetzy for the safety.
    7. 2011 SHSU 17-6: Defensive struggle (both teams barely cracked 200 yards of offense). SHSU had the lead at the half, but fake punt (Voigtlander) + DJ with the screen + int return (Beck) + int (Pike) = 1st Chipper
    5. 2014 Coastal Carolina 39-32: CC took the lead at the start of the 4th, but on 3rd and 1, Crockett went 45 yards for the winning TD. On CC's last three possessions, the defense held them to 9 yards.
    4. 2014 SDSU 27-24: Carson Wentz to RJ Urzendowski for the winning score with under a minute left.
    1. 2014 ISU-Red 29-7: Wentz and RJ Urzendowski on that final drive to come from behind and win in the final seconds. Epic.
    Id switch around 1 and 2, but this is solid. I also think the Brock Jensen semifinal “flu game” is up there. Punched our first ticket to Frisco.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

I thought that the 2017 natty with JMU was more exciting than the game a couple weeks back. In that one JMU was a TD away from winning the game whereas in this last one the best they could do was force OT.

Another thing on tony's #1 that gets overlooked. After Roberson scored to give Illinois St the 27-23 lead they went for 2 to try to stretch the lead out to 6. Jordan Champion made a good play to knock the ball away from one of Illinois St's big receivers on the try. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal but NDSU ended up getting the XP blocked after the drive where Legendowski was born... had ISUr converted that 2 point play on the previous drive they would've gone to OT.

Tony, I can't believe you've omitted the Kansas State win....."the Drive". Certainly earned a place in the top ten. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Tony, I can't believe you've omitted the Kansas State win....."the Drive". Certainly earned a place in the top ten. JMO.
    One problem---it was not a playoff game.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Playoff games!

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    Playoff games!
    It's the fine print; never read it......

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I'll start

1. 2014 ISU-Red 29-7: Wentz and RJ Urzendowski on that final drive to come from behind and win in the final seconds. Epic.
    Your ISU red score is missing a 2. Should be 29-27

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I thought that the 2017 natty with JMU was more exciting than the game a couple weeks back. In that one JMU was a TD away from winning the game whereas in this last one the best they could do was force OT.

Another thing on tony's #1 that gets overlooked. After Roberson scored to give Illinois St the 27-23 lead they went for 2 to try to stretch the lead out to 6. Jordan Champion made a good play to knock the ball away from one of Illinois St's big receivers on the try. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal but NDSU ended up getting the XP blocked after the drive where Legendowski was born... had ISUr converted that 2 point play on the previous drive they would've gone to OT.
    The blocked XP also would have gave them the opportunity to win with a FG. I got a little nervous when they reviewed the Isley INT because if that got overturned along with the 15 yard penalty for the NDSU players storming the field, they were within FG range I believe. The 2014 Playoffs were all pretty much white knuckle games (the SHSU was close till the second half). A lot of players contributed like every year, but the RJ-Carson connection really stood out that postseason.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    The blocked XP also would have gave them the opportunity to win with a FG. I got a little nervous when they reviewed the Isley INT because if that got overturned along with the 15 yard penalty for the NDSU players storming the field, they were within FG range I believe. The 2014 Playoffs were all pretty much white knuckle games (the SHSU was close till the second half). A lot of players contributed like every year, but the RJ-Carson connection really stood out that postseason.
    Here's another "if" scenario that I have pondered.
    What if Roberson had slid at the 5 yard line instead of running it in (when they took the late lead). Then 3 slowwww kneel downs forcing NDSU to use all three of their remaining timeouts.....then kick a short field goal forcing NDSU to get into field goal range on their final drive with no time outs and probably just over a minute left.
    Clearly....as a player, you house that ball and are not thinking about that scenario. But its just one of those things that fun to think about.